McTavish Micro 6'6 for a kid, 13 years, 45 kg ?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

passanger

McTavish Micro 6'6 for a kid, 13 years, 45 kg ?

Post by passanger » Wed May 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi,
I just noticed I haven't logged in here for a couple of YEARS!

I came across a bargain McTavish Micro and I was wondering if it was good for a light beginner who has been catching waves and riding the wave face on a rental 7'2 funboard (longboard for him) but not yet making much more. He's an athletic skater/snowboarder and accustomed to riding his bodyboard up to headhigh reefbreaks no problem.

I noticed that the Micro has rather fat rails and wide tail which made me wonder if it's hard to control for a light kid? Or is it the other way around as long as the wave is a bit mellow? Originally I was planning something more longboardish (like the slimmer railed 7'2) for him. I guess he will go on riding the bodyboard when it is hollow.

Any surf dad experience here?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: McTavish Micro 6'6 for a kid, 13 years, 45 kg ?

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 pm

can he catch his own waves?

whats his paddle strength like?

we need a bit more info.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

passanger

Post by passanger » Wed May 28, 2014 7:30 pm

steve shearer wrote:can he catch his own waves?

whats his paddle strength like?

we need a bit more info.
I wrote:
" I was wondering if it was good for a light beginner who has been catching waves and riding the wave face on a rental 7'2 funboard (longboard for him) but not yet making much more."

What I tried to say was that when the waves are nice, he's been catching a lot of his own waves with rental softboards, funboards and my log. Paddle strenght is not a problem, he's a young athelete and he likes to paddle with his arms a lot instead of kicking with fins when bodyboarding. With the bodyboard he's reading the waves really well, on the last trip he surfed more than most of the frustrated adlults at crowded Bali reefs :wink:

But standing up he's not yet pumping speed from the wave face, so I think he nees some forgiving volume and glide instead of rocker. And I was wondering what is it going to be like sinking the thick rail and wide tail for learning to make first real turns?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 pm

13 yrs, 45 kgs, he'll be ripping in no time if he's into it. With his already developed knowledge, you'll be a kook by Xmas. Get him a shorty and set him free. Fat rails? No way
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Agreed, get him a short board, not an old man's board.

He'll thank you for it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:17 pm

If it was 5'6" I'd say go for it.
My son used to ride my carver which was 7'11" as a mal when we were up the coast. Still does sometimes and I think it's kept his style smooth but there's no way he'd be riding it all the time.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?