surfboard agency boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: surfboard agency boards

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri May 08, 2015 11:06 pm

I worked as an adventure tours guide in South East Asia for 11 years. Doing a stint over in Borneo had me taking tour groups up the mountain every 2 weeks. On the ascent I had to stay within range of them but having said that the first time I went up to the overnight accomadation I walked up within the qualifying time for the annual race.
I could run back down by myself as I didn't need to supervise the group members as much as for the ascent.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Mon May 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Good spotting on the Diamond there Cuttle, looks intersting.There's been a lot of talk here re the XF McCoy nugs, anyone tried anything else from the XF range. Ride reports? how does the tech stand up to a lot of use?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Still loving my xf all round nuggets. Surfed my 6'8" a couple of times in the last few days in decent 3' plus waves and really enjoying how well it surfs with good speed and a willingness to turn easily and smoothly with bottom turn to reo combos and cutbacks. Decks look to be holding up really well.
Every time I surf them I think to myself that I wouldn't want to try surfing a poly McCoy again since the xf ones are just so much more responsive.
Maybe if you're not asking much from them in turns but I'm all for pushing them hard and enjoying putting them on rail.
Well worth trying if one gets the chance.
Keen to have a surf on my 6'3" and experiment with some weird fin combos like Webber curves and DVS keels side fins with conventional trailers.
Tried the Webber curves with a Harris 3d keel centre and while it went rail to rail in a heart beat it felt strange (though I can't put my finger on exactly how) which I figure was too much hold in the 3d fin.
Surfing my 6'3" with fcs II accelerators which feel spot on anyway. These boards are so much fun.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:52 pm

unclethirsty wrote:...how does the tech stand up to a lot of use?
Really well. Feedback from TSA via LBS, "its the strength of 8oz glassed poly with the lightness of 4oz" pretty well sums it up. Still not as durable and light as a surftech tho'
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

138cfh

Post by 138cfh » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Quick bit off topic question.

From what i read here that the xf nuggets are faster and more responsive.
I have some pu nuggets and i find them very hard to surf in small waves. Generating speed is very hard.

What do you guys think, are the xf nuggets more suited for small weak waves?

Also, with the xf nuggets, is it now beter to surf them a bit smaller than the pu's?

Thanks in advance for any input.

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:23 am

I dunno about you guise.

I like my boards, like Bill Cosby likes his rape victims.

Unconcious & ready for a pounding.
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

axolotl redux

Post by axolotl redux » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi, hoping some can impart a bit of wisdom. I have just got back in the water after 15 weeks due to a knee injury.
I thought my knee could have been a bit unstable coming back but at 47 and pushing 90kg the problem has been how much my surfing has suffered, mainly paddling fitness.

I borrowed a mates 6'9" Black Beauty which paddled great but felt pretty stiff as my boards are between 6' to 6'4". I have never enjoyed eps boards but after reading through this thread i'm thinking one of these xf things could be ok in a high volume board. I plan to use it for recovery and then on busy or lazy days.

So what do you guys think would suit better a Nugget in 6'3 or 6'6" or because i will be still mainly surfing shortboards a Chilli Odyssey in 6'6" or 6"8".
I'm in Vicco and will be using the board mainly in beaches and reefs in the 3-6ft range, so mainly more open faced waves but a couple of waves i surf have a ledgy take off with the occasional barrel.

Thanks

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:44 am

I'd go the 6'6''.
It has 4 litres more volume than the 6' 3''.
The 6'6'' with a volume of 47 litres and you weighing 90 kg means you would have chosen a buoyancy to weight ratio of .52 kg/ litre.
My preference for nuggets is for more volume around .6 kg/litre ratio which gives more glide speed and would really suit waves with flatter faces.
I also think if you are building up a quiver of boards it is best to have more volume, size , thickness and width difference between each board rather than less.
Often when people first try a nugget they stand too far forward landing their feet where they would on a narrower tailed board not realising that the sweet spot can be 2'' further back due to the amount of volume in the tail.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:06 pm

the XF nuggets are very good....light.reasonably strong and detachable fins so you can tune in your surfing for different conditions....superior in knee to chest high waves to the PUs....head hi and above I like weight(a personal choice).....like all light boards they get held up the face in strong offshores.the(allrounder) nugget curves fit hollow waves like a glove. in fatter less slopey waves they are ok. but revel when it gets sucky.