Building the ultimate trendy Mid-Length.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Building the ultimate trendy Mid-Length.

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Ctd. Wide point forward of centre tends to make the board draw it's turns out longer and further. Overall, less turns, but with More projection and coverage with each. It can also help a bit with paddling and early entry into a wave as there's more surface area up front. Remembering of course that where the wide point is located is just one of many factors that make up the total design of the board and how it performs.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Loofy just buy one out of the petty cash tin.

Seriously.

I like the high line drive, they hold in tight and you can go warp speed.

you can go with speed and flow or muscle them in turns. Never had to nurse a bonzer in a bottom turn. Because they are not as "reactive" as a thruster or quad (all else equal) you have to clean up your turns and use the rail. Theres no little tic tac stuff.

More people should surf them IMO. They prolly would if they knew slater and fanning etc free surf them.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Batoes those round tails look very nice, very nice indeed.

Re: Bonzers, got to get that back foot over the engine room I reckon.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Well its made for more than 1 to 2 foot stuff. If you want a small wave bonzer get an octafish or light vehicle. An egg will cover a lot more ground 'tho.

There you go, buy both and report back here with pics so we can enjoy the ouuvre.

I've busted my board budget for the next year or so.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:26 am

you probably wasting yr time trying to get one up to speed in 1-2ft surf although as Tootr said an Octafish is a great small wave design....

I love mine in 1-4ft point runners.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:53 pm

loofy wrote:I basically want something for smaller days 1-2 ft with plenty speed and drive, paddle in early, set your line and make sections and hit a turn when the opportunity is there...

Like a mid length but not quite if you catch my drift...

How you reckon that 6'10 suits Toots?
1-2'? At the risk of offending, try out a sweet potato. Go smaller than you think ( 5" shorter than you ). My JD sweet potato inspired quad kills 1/2 - 2' beachies, in early, lightning fast off the mark, loose as hell. Head high waves it's too fast and skatey, but small waves, fat through to shore break, it's unreal.

Save the bonzer for fast breaking decent sized waves.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Or try one of these for small stuff. Ron Goddard 'mudwasp' model...

Youre gonna need to buy about five boards Loofster. One less lunch with after sweeties at the rockpool. :-D-:

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Ctd. Wide point forward of centre tends to make the board draw it's turns out longer and further. .
Cheers - thanks. I guess that forward wide point probably suits fatter or point waves a bit more?

I have been thinking of getting a 6ft8 or 6ft10 board, not because my skill level deserves it (it totally doesnt) or because I really need it for where I surf (it would probably suit some waves more than my current board but I have at least 80% of the waves I surf covered at least adequately), but cos Im in my mid 40s and if I dont try now, I cant imagine I'm going to be any better at it when I'm over 50 and even more decrepit*.

A momento mori board.

(*not saying that over 50 is decrepit for everyone)