Building the ultimate trendy Mid-Length.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Building the ultimate trendy Mid-Length.

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:23 pm

After I snapped my wife's high end ultra big ticket mid length at the Point I searched around for a replacement.

well over a grand to replace. MOre like fifteen hundred to go back in time.

So I am going to shape one.

seven-three or four.

Tracker style outline.

http://www.mctavish.com.au/surfboard/tracker-midlength

Two plus one fin set-up.

I'd like a steep downrail to small rail profile, tucked edge nose to tail. Tri-plane hull bottom.

It'll be an aggressive early paddle entry climb and dropper at any size Point surf. Cut-downs at speed.

Good for micro v bank surf during winter westerlies.

Anyone have any clue how to start or on the design itself?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: Building the ultimate trendy Mid-Length.

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:45 pm

A bloke on here has an $800 McTavish voucher going cheap ... give him a call.

Steve ... seriously ... by the time you spend up on the materials and cobble it together ... wouldn't you be better off topping up the kitty and getting the cheese a nice little tried and true Bobby Mack. Know what I mean.

Edit: Thats if it really is for the missus. Sounds suspiciously like you is adding an arrow to ya own quiver.
Last edited by Yuke Hunt on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:47 pm

It's an extra five or six hunge to jump on that wagon.

I can get a blank from burfords for eighty or a hundred bucks.

See what happens on the other side of this dentist bill.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Take a peek at the DVS all-rounder Steve. It really is a versatile board, a bit less than the McT, and sometimes they come round on the second hand circuit.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05 pm

I've got a Diverse GM 7'6" that would love a run at Lennox. Subtle V throughout. 2+1.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x60 ... 7/gmw2.jpg (Blue board in centre)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x60 ... 7/rzts.jpg
Need to sell some boards to fund a van.
Hey Morgan,
I recall Steve mentioning once that a DVS 7' all rounder would be a good candidate for a one board quiver.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Nice stick, thats the kind of outline but I want some area in a small square and concaves.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Been riding a Woosley Vquad 7'6" a lot lately (the Diverse likes some size) and it has deep double concaves through the majority of the bottom and it really is a fast board.
Nice low rails and when its hollow it locks in well.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x60 ... 5/aql1.jpg
Worth thinking about a double as an easier bottom to shape than a tri plane.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x60 ... 3/j61y.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/62/xw6q.jpg
Only a rat can win the rat race.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Love the look of that Woosley...thats what got me thinking about this project.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Love to see it Steve, I think midlengths are under rated, especially in decent sized waves where the longboard is just too much board. I vote make it a thruster with a not too wide rounded square ( 14" or so ). You should have enough area in the nose to surf the front half in smaller fatter surf, but when it gets racy you'll like the narrower tail and tri fin setup. Don't glass it too heavy either. Or spend the extra coin and glass it 4x64 with epoxy resin.

I've kind of gone full circle, moving away from too much foam and fin, and loving light weight boards, longboard is pretty much retired but a good tri fin midlength is a great all rounder.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:12 am

how do you buy a blank Beery?

just walk in and pick one or is there a procedure?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 am

I think Roy sells plans and kits ... timber is a greener alternative.

If you want fibreglass and foam ... give Burfords a call ... explain your requirements ... they sell a multitude of different styled blanks. They may even have seconds.

Alternatively ... contact Shapers ... also in Currumbin. They sell blanks and pre-shapes ... and all the other kit required. Link:http://www.shapers.com.au

Have you actually costed this out ? Blank and materials wise. Glassing isn't what you'd call cheap. Even if you do it yourself.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:23 am

The thing with surfblanks is they'll send an email PDF with rocker charts. Their standard though is m06 and m08. Pretty sure m06 is relaxed, and m08 has a bit more nose rocker. Though if you want you can choose between quite a few different rockers. I don't know enough so I've only ever used m06. Postage would be a real killer so if the local foam is good quality, be easier to grab one there and then.

I've made a few boards and only one went really well. It was a heavily glassed keel fish. Dunno what I did right but I bought and sold 3 other professionally built boards in the 3 years I had it but kept going back to it. Fast as hell and loose as, and I loved it. Stupidly tried to reshape it as it was too big for me and heavy. I so regret that move. Despite the weight it surfed great, and after 3 years had stuff all compressions on it. Still slap myself!.

Still got an eps/epoxy with cheats timber veneer on it waiting to be sanded and have fins, but need more epoxy.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Sounds fun Steve! Don't listen to these sell-outs, making your own board is damn rewarding. For a creative man like yourself it will get right down into that creative spark. If you want it to be any good, expect it will take some time to finish to make it all that more satisfying to surf eventually (i.e. take a day to get the outline nice, take a day or so to get your rocker and thickness right, etc. Forget about finishing the whole board, glassed to go in a weekend).

You can get started on your blank for pretty cheap if you don't have the equipment. All you need is some sanding blocks, some good sandpaper that won't clog, three grades from rough (for taking down foam, vee, etc) down to fine (for tidying up your blank before glassing), and a hand-saw for the outline. A cheap planer won't go amiss for taking down the thickness and rocker, as will a surform for concave etc. Dont' forget a good brick to hold down the board while you're working on it.

An orbital sander is a must for glassing (maybe $100 from bunnings?). I tried to sand the glassjob by hand and it was the worst decision of my life.

You'll end up paying similar to a new board on your first board because of the equipment needed. Every board after that will be cheap as (e..g $150 odd).

The next best bet is if you're mates with a shaper you can use his workshop at night for beer currency and just pay for materials. Then you'll even have a nice extraction fan for horrid dust.

Go and check out Greenlight surf supply for a template you can download over the website for very little cost. I'm pretty sure I've seen a good tracker template there. Otherwise if you have a tracker in mind you can obviously trace it out.

Another thing I would consider is using UV resin for the laminate coat so that you have all the time in the world to get it right. The last thing you want is to make lots of mistakes with your first coat of resin while you're running around the board with everything in your garage sticking to your feet and dragging around behind you. Making too many glassing mistakes while the resin is geling is a sure recipie for this.

Don't forget to post pics of your project :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Oh yeah capt is spot on with uv resin. In fact don't glass it yourself without it. It turns you into a much better glasser haha. Seriously you will do a much better job with uv resin.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:20 pm

I wish they werent trendy, I need a hip op and they will be perfect now and after.....and look fun.

Re: shaping get a surform, couple if grades of sand paper, and old ironing board turned upside down with foam around the legs for stand....borrow a router or get glasser to rout out fin plug/box. I wouldnt glass your first board...you would know enough guys to get a cheaper than usual (200-250) glass job and if you f*ck it with a nice blank.....

That will keep costs down and keep you fit.
Last edited by Davros on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:06 pm

To true

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 am

Whist its all well and good for you bloody backyard hackers to get all moist over the prospect of young Stiv joining the ranks. I think is only fair that we revisit his initial post:
steve shearer wrote:After I snapped my wife's high end ultra big ticket mid length at the Point I searched around for a replacement.
well over a grand to replace. MOre like fifteen hundred to go back in time.
So I am going to shape one.
He broke the cheeses beautifully crafted sled ... and wants to replace it with something he plans to cobble together in the chook shed for thrippence ha'penny. That not cool ... shame on Shearer. Steven ... get your lazy tight arse down to the Mc Tavish factory now.
Last edited by Yuke Hunt on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:54 am

Yeah, you'd think he'd splash out. Outerislands makes some nice looking midlengths Steve. They look like they'd handle decent waves too, all pulled in noses, tails and tri fin setups.