Epoxy Mals

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Epoxy Mals

Post by Shaunm » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Tried a 9'4 Epoxy Mal the other day. Didn't like it.
Found I couldn't get it to glide and harder to paddle out I'm bigger conditions
My usual board ploughs through and over waves but got pushed back a few times on the epoxy. Anyone find similar or was I soon something wrong?
Never confuse ambition with ability

spork
barnacle

Re: Epoxy Mals

Post by spork » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm

9'4" is a big mutha for an epoxy. Iv had a mctavish razar mar for about 7yrs, which is a pretty small and narrow mal, its a cracker of a board but I only surf it when the conditions suit. The few mates that have ridden it have liked it, finding the differences to a glass mal as an asset in some conditions, some went and bought one. horses for courses imho.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Found the same thing on an 8'2 Epoxy McCoy. It's a boat, nearly a SUP and it need a few extra strokes to get it into waves early. The poly boards didn't have the problem, like the extra buoyancy was a drag.

On the other hand, rode a 9'4 Nat Young Bic, and I loved it. I've heard the Billy Tolhurst Epoxies go well to.

Still prefer the poly's though for a Mal

Yon Beasty

Post by Yon Beasty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:18 pm

Yeah I have a 9’6 epoxy McTavish.

Duck diving anything of substance is an issue even though I’m up at the 100 kg’s.

As spork notes, horses for courses. 9 foot plus of epoxy has allowed me to surf in conditions I couldn’t have otherwise on my other board(s) (i.e. small and fat waves) and have a good time and that was the reason I got it in the first place. Sometimes no matter what the conditions you just gotta surf.

Certainly after the initial euphoria following immediate purchase, certain limitations become evident even to my thick head, (e.g. no good in much bump or wind for me).

As for paddling out in a solid beachy, unless there was a decent gutter, I wouldn’t bother…though others here might be up for it.

Interesting observation about the glide though…there could be something in that.

Never did anything to disprove what I have come to name “Karlos Theory”.
(I think it was Karlos who theorized on these boards circa 2010 that anyone on a McTav was a kook –obviously doesn’t apply to all but generally speaking... I accepted that challenge but alas have never rode it consistently enough to prove otherwise…damn you Karlos… apologies to Karlos if I’ve incorrectly attributed said theory)

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Hadn't heard the McTavish kook theory, thought it was over 40yrs and 90kgs with extra $ lol. Though lots of second hand ones about I guess.
Thanks for the input

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Don't like them, no glide.
You can overcome all the other things with changes in design.

Yon Beasty

Post by Yon Beasty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:34 pm

ahh yeah well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Still not ready to part with my albatross just yet despite the chafing to my common sense.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:28 pm

But do you have hair?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:24 am

The trouble and strife purchased an epoxy Takayama noserider sometime back. She didn't like it ... I rode it to see what the issue was ... and yes ... it lacked momentum and was as corky as all fcuk. I think longboards need a bit of weight ... I always had mine glasses quite heavy. We flicked the poxy for a sweet nine six Michael Cundith.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Yon Beasty

Post by Yon Beasty » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:05 am

Shaunm please stop there...

I would have hair but the wife won't sanction a combover (ala Norman Gunston) - me I think it would complete the picture and elevate my status in any lineup. The M's not big enough either, it needs to be the size of the signage on a McDonalds drive through, and some frangipani stickers they're always popular, maybe a set of the My Family stickers thrown on too.........figure I better get in first.

It makes sense if the board doesn't have momentum (due to weighting, other design factors), then there's going to be a problem with glide. For me the glass mal, which I unfortunately snapped prior to this one sometime back, was better in a wider range of conditions. But to state the obvious, there's a lot of paddle power in 9 plus foot of epoxy if that's your sole target.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Womble wrote:The trouble and strife purchased an epoxy Takayama noserider sometime back. She didn't like it ... I rode it to see what the issue was ... and yes ... it lacked momentum and was as corky as all fcuk. I think longboards need a bit of weight ... I always had mine glasses quite heavy. We flicked the poxy for a sweet nine six Michael Cundith.
The problem is not with the Takayama , its with the S/tech knock off.......I rode 3 different 9'6"- 10ft surftechs in one day some years back , and they all felt exactly the same.......they sit too much on top of the water , and the rails don't work......the only thing you feel is the fin.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 pm

I think you chaps may find the issue is not the epoxy as such. It's the EPS foam often used under the epoxy. That is what is giving you more float and making the board surf on top of the water too much.
This foam is typically used in Tuflites and similar. If you get a custom EPS/ Epoxy then your shaper can compensate by taking some foam away in certain areas.
My experience is in HP short boards however I would imagine that with a mal the EPS issues would be magnified fairly significantly.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Natho wrote:I think you chaps may find the issue is not the epoxy as such. It's the EPS foam often used under the epoxy. That is what is giving you more float and making the board surf on top of the water too much.
This foam is typically used in Tuflites and similar. If you get a custom EPS/ Epoxy then your shaper can compensate by taking some foam away in certain areas.
My experience is in HP short boards however I would imagine that with a mal the EPS issues would be magnified fairly significantly.
Yeah ... no ones saying its the resin and glass ... a longboard of epoxy construction ... the whole shebang ... and I'd say you're spot on with the magnification issues ... theres a lot of foam in a 9 foot log.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 am

I agree, lumping all epoxy mals into the same basket is doing them a disservice. Some I have ridden have PU foam with hand laminated epoxy and those surfers who like to surf a mal like a short board love em, including me.
Roy Stewart

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 am

spork wrote:I agree, lumping all epoxy mals into the same basket is doing them a disservice. Some I have ridden have PU foam with hand laminated epoxy and those surfers who like to surf a mal like a short board love em, including me.
I gotta ask, why surf a mal like a short board?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 am

I ride my old heavy glassed Rabbidge when I want the full mal deal but it weighs a ton. That's what makes it get momentum.
However, I have always enjoyed how epoxy mals, if they are any good, can glide onto a cresting big peak in a way their heavy cousins can't. Its a weightless feeling.
From a purely practical point of view I like chucking an epoxy board into the car and having little regard for lugging it down to the water on a crowded day due to its weight to strength ratio.

Re: functionality. My only complaints would be in hollow conditions they don't pull in as well due to floatyness and lack of momentum.
Windy conditions can also be a bit challenging and blow offs in the car park can also cause damage. All up they work as well as the shape does. McTavish is a great shaper and the fact that more people ride his boards than anyone else except maybe dartboards means theres going to be quite a few kooks riding them. Couldn't agree more about the desire of some highly regarded shapers to have their name plastered in huge lettering all over their boards. I've noticed McTavish has toned it down on his glass production boards a bit lately. McCoy still goes for the Eivel Kenivel dragster look.

From a marketing point of view smaller lettering and more restrained colouring conveys the message of class and big bright lettering denotes bubblegum and Crazy Charlies Bargain Basement.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:26 pm

grimshine wrote:
spork wrote:I agree, lumping all epoxy mals into the same basket is doing them a disservice. Some I have ridden have PU foam with hand laminated epoxy and those surfers who like to surf a mal like a short board love em, including me.
I gotta ask, why surf a mal like a short board?
partly cos im getting old and slow and partly because the local wave is a fat slow beast. Get a fish you say, but I hate that flat faced surfing style. A good HP mal will get me into solid waves out the back and deep as and still let me turn off the rails. Feck, what am I defending em for, if you don't like em don't buy one.
Roy Stewart

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:24 am

I have mentioned it before but if it's thinned out they can work well. My mate has a surf tech that is 8'6", but only 2 1/2" thick and has quite thinned out rails for a mal, not burger rails. It's quite a good all round board, good for small, but decent waves it goes ok too. It does glide in some conditions, but obviously not like a pu mal. So much better carrying down to that secluded bank than the pu mal haha