Single fin for 6'6 egg kinda shape

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Single fin for 6'6 egg kinda shape

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Greenough 4A flex. I got one ( 9 1/2" ) online from Zak surfboards a while ago. 7 1/2" for ya egg. I used to like dolphins , but they are a bit stiff, the greenough ones have enough drive, but are more manouverable. If pure trim and glide is what you want then dolphin is the go IMHO

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Hard to say without seeing the board, but I probably agree with Beerfan.
Narrower the tail the less fin area you'll need.
Though if it is for really small waves you might need some to push against.

Twinnie would be the last thing I'd want in that board.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Here's a tip.

True ames will send you two fins express delivery from california, for twenty five bucks cost ( on top of the fins of course), got mine in about six days....

Works out far cheaper than buying here.....

And the yes the greenough 4a is a good one, a skip fry flex is similar but a little more tip.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 pm

tootr wrote:Here's a tip.

True ames will send you two fins express delivery from california, for twenty five bucks cost ( on top of the fins of course), got mine in about six days....

Works out far cheaper than buying here.....

And the yes the greenough 4a is a good one, a skip fry flex is similar but a little more tip.
My 2 cents...if you want drive then get the True ames bonzer centre. You could also order a 4a Greenough since the postage is $25 regardless of whether you buy one or two fins.
http://trueames.com/shop/search?utf8=✓&keywords=bonzer
If you find there's one you favour over the other you could easily sell the one less favoured.
Want to ride the egg in solid waves then get the bonzer side runners and use the larger of the two sizes as your side fins.
Love my bonzer sides in my 2+1's when the waves are pumping.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:02 pm

hypocritical dingbat

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 am

This is the logs, eggs and alternatives forum.
Dingbattery is the standard by which our eccentricities are gauged on here.
I reserve the right to change my mind since I'm the one controlling it.
Bit slow berating each other over going an 1/8" of an inch to wide on the latest hpsb over there lately?
:-o

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 am

With that sort of shape a lot will depend on how you want to ride it.
The harder you want to push against it through turns, the more fin base you'll need. The more you want it to pivot, the deeper you want the fin. The less fin area you have the more responsive.

The 4a looks like a good middle ground. With a board that big with what looks like fairly soft rails you will need a bit of control, I found the Skip Fry fins suited more foiled rails as they are pretty thin in the tip, but it does make them more responsive.

If you haven't surfed singles much you'll spend the first 20 surfs figuring out where the fin should go. Don't even start to mess with the sidebites yet.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:33 am

The 4a is probably a good start.
Depends a bit on how tall you are, how heavy you are, whether you pivot turn flat off the fin (most likely if you haven't surfed many singles) or off the rail...there are too many factors to be certain.

I would have more fin base than that but I know how I would want to surf it and in what sort of waves.
I prefer a bit more fin than normal when there is a wide buoyant tail
I'm 6 foot and 78kgs if that helps you.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:21 am

Here are some of the fins I use in similar boards.
I like the one 2nd from the right best. Slightly more upright and slightly more base than the 4a. It is probably a 7.5", no brand. Came with one of my boards.
White one is plastic and very flexy, works well in conjunction with sidebites in a widowmaker setup.
Fluid Foils single fin (8.0 for size reference) I mainly used when I had a McCoy, lots of drive in small waves but too much fin and never really gelled with it.
Cutaway (6.5") is one I used to use in a pintail in bigger waves. I lost it for 5 years and forget how it went.

The one I currently use in my 2+1 is basier, handfoiled and about 7", but that is on a different shape and more of a down the line board.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Flex fins about 7.5 perfect up to 4 ft but after that they can flip you off.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:11 pm

loofy wrote:Hey thanks Boo. Its really hard trying to get your head around fins and their complexities from zero knowledge.

Hmmmmm decision, decision.

Definitely need one though, as a twinny it just shits itself with any pressure in the turn/take off
Just buy a fcs 7" dolphin fin.
Simple , user friendly and predictable.

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
loofy wrote:Hey thanks Boo. Its really hard trying to get your head around fins and their complexities from zero knowledge.

Hmmmmm decision, decision.

Definitely need one though, as a twinny it just shits itself with any pressure in the turn/take off
Just buy a fcs 7" dolphin fin.
Simple , user friendly and predictable.
Agree with Cuttlefish, go the dolphin fin..

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Are ya using the side bites? Prob go really well with a 6.5 dolphin and the little fcs sides.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I'd try a McCoy Gullwing fin.

I'm not a good surfer, but as far as I can tell from my experience, they provide more drive than I can use but are also extremely loose for pivoting practically on the spot.

The only downside I have found is that they can catch on someone else's legrope in the water and put a very unceremonious end to your ride! :D The board just stops and you keep on going....

I guess it could be worse: Your legrope could get stuck on someone else's Gullwing fin, and then you stop, your board stops, and you meet very suddenly in the middle... #*!

Recently someone has been selling Gullwing fins on evilbay for about $50.- , but they were "factory" seconds. The one I bought needed a bit of extra work to make it fit.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Got a feeling that is Phil Way who used to own Fluid foils which was bought out by fcs.
I'll have to keep an eye out now.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Indeed, Phil Way, or 2012philway on evilbay.
I cannot find these fins on evilbay any longer. Maybe he sold them all.

He offered to fix and/or fit the fin for me if I brought it to Ballina, but it was much easier to fix it myself. I think Geoff keeps high standards and "factory seconds" for a McCoy are not necessarily all that bad at all. It just needed a little bit of sanding and then it did fit the fin box. The only other issue were a few air bubbles that had been sanded open on one side of the fin - nothing that could perceivably alter the performance of the fin, and it could be easily filled with solar resin or wax if so desired. Just "almost" good enough to be sold with a new McCoy board, but not quite. Less than half the price of a new 110% fin in the McCoy shop, though.