EPS or ultra light longboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: EPS or ultra light longboard

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 pm

little zinger hey ???, like that name.....
one thing I'd like to say re your posts, Is shapers do make fuck all and if they are offered decent money to reoplicate them in surftechs or whatever, ya cant blame em.....gotta feed the kids and pay the bills...

now back to the EPS longboard discussion...just had another guy keen on one, so if I can source the foam, and for a reasonable price, I'll be doing one if not 2 pretty soon...thanx to all the info so far too....

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Well the little "zinger" has a food connotation thanks to KFC (boo hiss) so could be a worthy model name.
Albeit for a board type that only appeals to a microscopic portion of the surfing world.
Got a left on it Sunday morning that I'll remember for a long time for the purity of the ride.
High and tight, locked into the wall and flying.
Anyways, sorry for the hi-jack and hopefully it'll stay on track from now on.
I need a fat, wide mid length more than a longboard though.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 pm

glad the little zinger is still giving you some joy, have made 2 others since that one, very microscopic market thats for sure but fun and refreshing to make....

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:42 pm

The design aspect that livens up a long board in small point waves is plenty of tail lift.
I recently built an 8' 4'' mal just for surfing 1-2' point waves , 2 1/4'' nose lift and 3 1/4'' tail lift, the minimal nose lift means it trims and nose rides easy and fast, but with that much tail lift the rocker curve under and between my feet as I step back to do a cutback means the nose releases easy.
The conclusion I have come to is that less tail rocker makes for stiffer turning, less spontaneous cut backs.
I would never make a mal with anything less than 3 1/4'' tail lift, my 9'1'' Micheal Cundith mal has 3 1/2'' tail lift and is easy to do cutbacks, but the 8' 4'' is even more spontaneous(the tail rocker curve is over a shorter distance).
How much tail lift are you considering ?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:22 pm

yeah Marvin, I put plenty in my high-perf mals too, so got that side of things covered, looking to add liveliness and response thru different materials with the EPS.....thanx

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 pm

The other thing with lots of tail lift in mals and minimals for that matter is the take off. As the wave crests when its bigger they get going down the face quicker than a straighter tail making for a much better entry.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:50 pm

mine will be for head high and below waves, usually tiny little ones on softish point...if there's real waves or size, I wont be on the mal ...but if I am on the mal in those little runners, I want it to be super fun, really responsive and turn as well as any mal ever has.....

this is a link to my RS thread where there's a pic of 2 longboards I did a while ago, this design is called "B.O.B", its got alot of tail kick but toned down the nose lift, this is the most common mal I am doin...although seriously considering doing this newy as a Swinger...
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=522

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:57 pm

Couldn't agree MORE ( haha ) with the last few posts. On longer boards more tail lift = more turnability for sure. On a longer board I like lower entry, but tail kick. Also find they paddle crazy good

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 am

sellin a longboard...and few other different shorties if anyones interested...few bargains too....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261241919111 ... 1555.l2649