What size Lazor Zap

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

nawgy1979

What size Lazor Zap

Post by nawgy1979 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:13 pm

I am very tempted to get a McCoy Lazor Zap after surfing the Surftech version and liking the design but not the Surftech technology.
I'm based in the UK so my choice is limited to a 5'10 Phase I, 6'0 or 6'2 Phase II and was hoping for some guidance from those who have owned them before as to which size would be better for me.

I'm 76kg, 5'10 and ride a 6'4 Zot, 6'6 Nugget and 6'3 Banks MKIII.
I'm thinking either of the Phase II's but cant decide if shorter is best, whilst I know McCoys have good volume the Lazor Zap is a little more unstable compared to a Nugget due to the needle nose.
Any advice ?
Thanks !

batoes
charger

Re: What size Lazor Zap

Post by batoes » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Nawgs!
I had a 5'10 phase II a couple of years back. I should have gone smaller - a 5'8 maybe - so much foam and all in the tail, hated it. I surfed much better on my trusty 5'8 nugget. I was about 75kg back then. Don't go too big with them. Get the 5'10. I don't think you'll get any more stability from the larger ones - more foam, but much harder to push around.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm

I had a look at the ones you're talking about when I was on holiday in Cornwall last year. The tails on them are pretty vast - much wider than the surftech 5'10, which I think is more of a Phase 1 - and it's apparently a more user-friendly design that's less needle-nosey than its predecessor, so it shouldn't feel as twitchy as the surftech. From memory, Trev the guy who runs down the line has/had a 6'2 so he can probably give you some advice. (For what it's worth, like batoes I reckon McCoys benefit from being ridden shorter so personally I'd go for the 5.10)
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Nawgs, I am also with Batoes.

However, to be certain, I would PM our new RS McCoy aficionado/zealot cuttlefish or read his astron Zot review
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Matey

I'm 82kg and have a 6'0 single fin lazor zap. I'd say its on the money for size. I had mine done as a custom and specifically asked for the 'bum tail' plan shape. So it's by curvy.

Takes a bit of getting used to. If you are looking for stability it's not the board for you. The no nose and fat arse play havoc with the paddle in and with turns. Great on turns once you get used to it. I never got used to it on the paddle in.

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks you for all your input !

JaM71: I did exchange some comments with Cuttlefish as we both have Astron Zots and he has previosuly owned a Zap and he thinks that after riding both there may not be much for me to gain by going down the Zap route at all and possibly I should look at going shorter again with my Zot (I have a 6'4 and previosuly a 6'8).

godsavethequeen: Yeah, I know that Trev at DTL has the ones you mention in stock. I think that I am leaning more towards the Phase II's as you say the Surftech is much more like the Phase I and I didnt like that too much. It is a shame that the 5'10 isnt a Phase II.

batoes & glamarama: As with all comments regarding McCoys it seems that you should always go as small as possible ! I note the comments on the instability of the narrow nose and large tail and I found this on the Surftech version but there was just something there that keeps me intrigued when up and riding !

I have to admit that I am sorely tempted by Cutties advice to go smaller on the Zot as they really are superb boards, but I fear that I will always hanker after a Zap if I do.
I had a reply from Geoff and he said that if I was less than 10.5 stone then go for the 6'0 Zap, so by that I reckon he means the 6'2 would be best for me. Given my experience and others I could probably knock 4 inches off that and arrive at the 5'10 :-D-:

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:26 am

sorry mate, i didn't read your first post properly and registered that the 5'10 was a phase 2 also. out of interest, is the 5'10 for sale in DTL? i might be interested if you don't buy it
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:12 am

No worries, yeah unfortunately the 5'10 is a Phase I.