getting old, dont want struggle on a shorty

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

ccdave

Re: getting old, dont want struggle on a shorty

Post by ccdave » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 pm

I have a powerglide with the nose concave - does grant add a bit more nose rocker to compensate? I'm not quite sure of the rationale for the concave
Not sure about the nose rocker....the concave is there for those who want abit "of toes on the nose" action.
For me at 48yrs of age, ive done very nose riding and am not about to start, so Grant just left the board with no nose concave. For what I want im sure it will suit me perfectly. That's why you get a custom, to get what suits you best.
Personally I like to ride a board off the tail, but when I may need it im sure this board should "glide" effortlessly across and flat sections.
The carver I have has to be ridden off the tail, as soon as you move up the board, it bogs. Could be just my ability, but after 40yrs of surfing, im saying its the board design. Designed to carve....loves fast, walling waves with some punch.
"Courage is doing what your afraid to do"

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Yeah?
Mine noserides quite well on the right wave. Particularly since I don't make it sink nearly as much as I did a couple of years ago :roll: :roll:
Of course its not really a noserider but it definitely trims beautifully from the center and just forward of halfway when you need to and a quick five over is just a stretch away.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 pm

ccdave wrote:Not sure about the nose rocker....the concave is there for those who want abit "of toes on the nose" action.
For me at 48yrs of age, ive done very nose riding and am not about to start, so Grant just left the board with no nose concave. For what I want im sure it will suit me perfectly. That's why you get a custom, to get what suits you best.
Yeah, I didnt word my comment very well. I understand the concave is to assist nose riding, but I'm not sure how a concave with a tangible lip (as per the 'standard' powerglide) acts differently to a blended concave or no concave when you aren't nose riding. I presume there is a difference, but it may be at a level that is irrelevant to me.

Its just a matter of interest rather than because I have any issue with the design.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm

I should add my carvers not as tweeked in the nose as the newer ones. They even have footage of a 5'6" micro carver on the McTavish site. Hasn't Bob managed to cement his hipster cred with the whole Deus Project?

I gather the other thing with nose concave on wide nosed boards is that it just gets more board out of the water and gets some air under the thing.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:54 pm

ccdave wrote:
Not sure about the nose rocker....the concave is there for those who want abit "of toes on the nose" action.
Personally I like to ride a board off the tail, but when I may need it im sure this board should "glide" effortlessly across and flat sections.
The carver I have has to be ridden off the tail, as soon as you move up the board, it bogs. Could be just my ability, but after 40yrs of surfing, im saying its the board design. Designed to carve....loves fast, walling waves with some punch.
Pretty much exactly describes the 8'6" single board i got Grant to make me a few years ago. Great board that paddles and rides really smoothly. Great shaper
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Just in case anyone is looking for a Miller powerglide....here's ya chance ata good price.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide ... 1022215311
Only a rat can win the rat race.

carlton St

Post by carlton St » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Being closer to 60 than 50 I empathise with the curse of aging but I have also suffered a few nasty shoulder, back and knee injuries from road cycling and MTBs. It begs the question what would you do / ride to stay in the water?

zumabeach

Post by zumabeach » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Having turned 65 last month, I intend to keep on surfing until I become a total embarrassment to myself, instead of being the half embarrassment I am now. I'm all but full time on mals now, having gone that way a couple of years ago. My main board is a lightweight 9-1 McTavish UFO that I've had for a year now and it's starting to look a bit battered, much like me.
On smaller, cleaner days, however, it goes like the clappers and can even give off a bit of fin hum on big,drawnout cutbacks. I use FCS Gerry Lopez small SUP fins on it and they seem to provide the looseness needed to throw it around a bit. As you stroke into a wave that all the greedy groms and too cool for school 20-somethings are fighting over, it's a guilty pleasure to see the pained expressions to their faces - fuck off, old man! - as you cruise by them. Of course, when it gets heavy, it's more in their favour - duck-diving a mal is pure stupidity.
Still, as you get older, you get a bit more perspective and somedays when the kids are out there getting dumped in two foot shorebreak onshore slop you can always find something better to do. The body ain't what it used to be - dodgy back and shoulder, skin cancers bubbling along nicely - but with regular maintenance you can still keep your stoke going. Right place, right time and you're paddling into a nice head-high wave that's going to break all the way down the line ... you wouldn't be dead for quids.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Good on you Zuma.
When I was in my 20s I was driving up the coast with some non surfing college friends. Conned them into driving through from Port to Crescent when it was easier to do. Saw some beautiful little waves rolling through Lime burners creek and I thought to myself "I could be surfing those little waves when I'm 70".
That's just what I still plan to do.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ccdave

Post by ccdave » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:48 am

Take delivery of the new 7' "Powerglide" next Friday. Maldives trip in 4 weeks. Timing couldn't be better.
As I get older, surfing is getting more enjoyable. Less competitive, with a higher wave count!!
Had a surf with a couple of mates about 2months ago at really fun overhead beachie up here. I was on my 7'6" "Carver". One mate was on a 6'10 "powerglide like" board he made himself and just come back from a fun trip in Indo with it and my other mate was on a brand new 6'2" thruster. We had a 2hr session, mate on the 6'10" got more waves than Kelly Slater would in a 1hr heat on tour! I got about half as many on the carver and old mate on the brand new shorty got about 4 waves!!
I know who had the most "Fun"........
"Courage is doing what your afraid to do"

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:52 pm

The local longboarders are going to love me riding this zinger when its overhead.
8'2" X 23" x 3&1/4"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Love it. 3-)
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Very nice pete!

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:46 pm

IIRC some of you mentioned cork decks sometime earlier in this thread. I decided to wait a bit before asking about it, but no flash of inspiration has hit me ....so what does getting old have to do with getting a board with a cork deck?
:?:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Not much. You don't have to remember wax.
A shaper Fong gets boards from uses cork decks.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Beerfan wrote:Very nice pete!
Seen a few of the older crew around my local and also the outer Noosa points riding the longer, wider 7'6"-8'ers which have allowed them to sit further out and nail some of the best set waves with ease over the years.
This MC should be the ticket.
Often up here its about crowd control Mark.
Something you have little need for in your locale. :wink:

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:43 am

alakaboo wrote:Not much. You don't have to remember wax.
A shaper Fong gets boards from uses cork decks.
Thanks, but I think Fongs meant that the cork deck is somehow better for the knees. I found the post that started it:
fongss wrote:if it wasn't for huies cork decks.....I would been out the surf two years ago :!:

my knees are shot...u get that from the second row :wink:

Winni

Post by Winni » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm

At 61 I found this topic interesting. I don't like longboards much either, I've just started surfing again after illness kept me out of the water for a longtime. I've borrowed an 8'6" Mal as a rehab board and after a month my paddle fitness is coming along nicely. It's time to go smaller again, unfortunately my 5'10" Mackie Fish is still not possible for me to ride. I've seriously thought about a Baked Potato, but I need to demo one. Does anyone know where I could demo one on Sunshine Coast. Beach Beat at Alex don't have any demos.