SUP's

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

SUP's

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Okay, so who here will openly admit to regulary surfing an SUP?

I'm really keen to what you think of it and what keeps you going with it. Tell me about where it fits for you with a regular paddle-in surfboard and what good timesy you've had with it.

Please discuss :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: SUP's

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:18 pm

We've had poo threads, harlequin babies and who knows what else.

But you've just hit rock bottom in the annals of Realsurf. :twisted:

#*! :-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:46 pm

I was lent one for a month on try and buy basis.
I took it for three paddles around the lake, took it out in under head surf I couldn't ride on any of my other boards!
The conclusion I came to, was hand the barge back!
:~ Boring!

Best fun I had was sitting on the thing playing leggy twizzles with my wife whilst watching the flathead in the channel!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:03 pm

I am considering getting one to paddle the river.
Only time I've tried it was on Narrabeen Lagoon. Surprisingly good workout.

Don't have any interest in taking it in the ocean, except maybe as a fishing platform.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Trev wrote:We've had poo threads, harlequin babies and who knows what else.

But you've just hit rock bottom in the annals of Realsurf. :twisted:

#*! :-)(
Shoosh you, let them tell their Story!

A couple have already "come out", don't ruin it! :)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:56 am

great for the lake, sight fishing the flats .....tiny flat days in winter, good workout blah, blah, blah.

I like to take my kids tandem surfing on mine in the river.

I don't really get a kick out of riding waves solo on the thing, but others do.

The problem of course, is that they are a vessel and a vessel in the lineup with other surfers is tidak bagus.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 am

I've paddled one around on flat water. For me, to be a good workout you'd have to put in a good hour to get any benefit. Great way to exercise though, rather than the gym. Got no interest in surfing them. If I can't catch em on my 9'1", then I'm not going to bother. I'd love one for the lake and river, though I Can buy a brand new board for the price, so would probably never get one.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 am

We have an eleven footer that is great fun for cruising up estuaries ... tributaries ... creeks and lakes.

I have surfed it ... away from the maddening crowds ... in tiny waves ... and whilst its a good workout ... its gets kind of boring after a while.

As Steve said ... they is cool to cruise the flats on. It quite amazing just how much marine life can be seen from atop a sup ... great viewing platforms.

They have no place in the lineup ... boats they is.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 am

So in other words none of you are about to charge Teahupoo Poto style... ?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:55 am

I can see the value of flat water or open ocean cruising and I'd have a go at that. As for surfing, can't see myself doing it

Couple of weeks ago I was surfing a straight bank beachy and relying on the odd peak for a half decent wave. Guy I know professionally paddles out on a SUP and starts taking waves at will. No fcuken etiquette whatsoever. When I got a wave I paddled down the beach a little. Cnut gets a wave and follows me. Wants a friendly chat and I want him to fcuk off. I repeated my previous action and he again followed me and tried to sell me a car. He then asked if I wanted a go of his SUP. I didn't

Don't respect him professionally, either
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:59 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:So in other words none of you are about to charge Teahupoo Poto style... ?
Holy braithy fcuking a pug no ... a monstrous lump of foam and glass ... a two metre long carbon fibre paddle and a death slab exploding over man killing rocks ... death can be got a lot simpler than that.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am

swvic wrote:I can see the value of flat water or open ocean cruising and I'd have a go at that. As for surfing, can't see myself doing it

Couple of weeks ago I was surfing a straight bank beachy and relying on the odd peak for a half decent wave. Guy I know professionally paddles out on a SUP and starts taking waves at will. No fcuken etiquette whatsoever. When I got a wave I paddled down the beach a little. Cnut gets a wave and follows me. Wants a friendly chat and I want him to fcuk off. I repeated my previous action and he again followed me and tried to sell me a car. He then asked if I wanted a go of his SUP. I didn't

Don't respect him professionally, either
haha I've had a similar occurence with someone I knew profesionally who I broke away with due to lack of ethical values around money, he was a right snake oil man. An SUP'er almost fell on my head whacking me with his paddle and the moment I was about to swear at him his head popped up and it was this guy who had tried to royally rip me off in the past. He then offered if I wanted to work with him AGAIN, like I was dumb idiot who likes getting ripped off. Must have been the SUP getting to his head thinking he was Polynesean royalty or something.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Ha ha there is a guy at my local who rides an SUP and fits the description exactly as described by Swvic. Same bloke possibly? This idiot even dropped in on a couple of groms on his SUP while they surfing a heat in a local comp, and then he fell off and nearly killed another couple of groms. Apparently he is a snake oil salesman too. :d

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Like others have said, good for rivers lakes and Bays.
Tried catching waves in the rivermouth on the 11' cruiser I bought for river paddling.
Not the least impressed with the sheer cumbersome nature of the boards.
I'd rather ride my gut slider (Paipos) that Pridmore shaped for me when it's small.
Sups are fantastic for taking the kids for a paddle on the river.
Especially for exploring small creeks off the main river.
Kids think they are Indiana Jones.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:23 am

I have a 12'6" racing SUP that I use for fitness in Pittwater more often than anywhere else. During the long flattish spell last week I took it out around Newport Reef a few times and then on the way in caught a few ankle size waves. It is massively fun catching party waves with mates and trying to push each off the wave but other than that it's kinda a novelty and if it's surfable the SUP gets relegated.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 pm

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 pm

If I'm going to buy a secondhand board to paddle on flatwater, what should I be looking for?
Got no concept of the dimensions of the things.

I'm 6'0 and 75kgs, if that makes much of a difference.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I reckon 9'0" x 50" x 5" will do the trick. Paddle length 11'1" for thrust and treats to other surfers. They won't get near you