Bali trip report: for those who longboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

marcus_h
charger

Bali trip report: for those who longboard

Post by marcus_h » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:19 pm

Started off the trip being met by my 3 shortboard mates at Brisbane International Airport snickering at my weapon of choice: McTavish/Beach beat Jason Blewit pro model. " Thats going to be snapped on the first day" was the common theme.

After a short (6hrs i think) flight over we land to see that airports and middle reef has a little wave. We take a boat out and end up surfing middle reef, the waves were probably head high with a few bigger sets. The shortboarders were all wishing now they had that extra 3', while there were struggling with the fattish swell and offshores, the longboard was easily gliding into everything. Even managed a little cover up: Longboard 1 - Shorties 0

The rest of the trip we mainly spent at Balangan which is pretty much the first surf break along the Pukit(spelling ?). for some reason this was the most consistant break the whole time we were there. On the second day we managed to get double overhead walls of water firing off the point, managed to hook into some absolute screamers and got inside which took approx 20mins of esky rolling to get though, in that respect the shortboarders won that battle. In between those days we surfed smallish impossibles, and had an awsome day out at changu, mal heavin with fat waves rolling for ages.

Was an awsome trip all up, the food, people, surf, best in the world. However next time, i will definetly include a shorter board, possible something like a 7'8" Carver or something similar those bigger days.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:21 am

nice one, sounds like a great trip. I've never taken a longboard to Bali but definitely will next time. Probably something versatile & moden like your JB . THere are so many days when the surf can be a bit slow that are just great on a longboard.

As for the Bukit, mate I reckon you could spend years surfing there and never get sick of it. Soo many good waves. Did you surf Dreamland as well? Ulu? A longboard could be good out at Ulu on mid-high tide when its getting a bit slow.

Ah well, keep saving the frequent flyers.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:00 pm

Didnt manage to surf dreamland, it looked like a nice rolling wave. I was with shortboarders who complained the wave was too fat, 3 verse 1, i lost out.

As for Ulus, packed beyond belief, the waves weren't breaking all that well either.