Takayama

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

unclethirsty
Grommet

Takayama

Post by unclethirsty » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Anybody got a longer version 8' - 9', if they make them, of the Tak scorpion in glass.If so any comments on performance, noseriding ability etc would they suit beachies or more point breaks.

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Takayama

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Dunno if this helps, but I have a 9'4" Erik Sommer model, its a combination of the scorpion and the "in the pink" models, it has the scorpion tail with widths directly comparable to the in the pink model but with a more pulled in nose at the end.
It noserides ridiculously well, though its not your super tail heavy noseriding pig, but its definitely not a high performance shape either, it has the trademark flat takayama rocker and the voluminous nose. My one slight grudge with the board is that I think the weight/bouyancy could be lighter, for my liking I reckon the difference between a full gloss and polish and a normal finish might be enough, just to reduce the weight/increase the bouyancy slightly - otherwise I'm extremely happy with the thing.

So with all that in mind, to answer your questions more directly;
Performance; turns easily enough once you've adjusted to it, but its definitely more of a pivot type turn not a rail turn despite what the shape might make you think. Catches wave easily thanks to the weight and rocker and gets through flat sections likewise. Noseriding is superb, but this is Takayama we're talking about - he had that dept down! In regards to beachies or points; well based on what the board can do I would say both, however I would say its more designed for walls and long rides, I mean if you want to shralp the top off of a beachie then I would say definitely not, if you’re a very good surfer you could get it to work, but from my experience that is not what its designed for and their are different shapes available with HP surfing in mind - having said that, I reckon that for me if I had a 9'0"-9'1" Erik Sommer / scorpion with a light glass job I could get it to work, but I'd say that it would still be a square peg in a round hole type of solution. I guess you need to see Erik surf to get the idea behind the board, it’s a kind of power surfing version of long boarding (now you’re really confused!!)

Anyway I hope this helps at least a bit…

PS, this is not mine but this is what the Erik Sommer looks like.
http://surf-media.surfinglist.com/image ... d-1026.jpg

This guy doesn't really agree with what I’ve just said, but I think his review sounds a bit kooky, though he was trying a shorter version so on that note, 4 inches can make a big difference in regards to high performance longboarding.
http://wavesandways.blogspot.com.au/200 ... model.html

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for the great detail WANDS & link to waves & ways site helps immensely.Got a feeling I'm going to pull the trigger on this soon as I find out who takes orders for them in Sydney (Bennetts I think).Thanks

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:34 pm

unclethirsty wrote:Thanks for the great detail WANDS & link to waves & ways site helps immensely.Got a feeling I'm going to pull the trigger on this soon as I find out who takes orders for them in Sydney (Bennetts I think).Thanks
I bought mine direct, they shipped to sydney for $50, I also emailed for a quote late last year on another board, I'm pretty sure the guys name is Evan.
[email protected]

Click on the sale button bottom right, it looks as if they have a 9'2" there now, and thats significanty cheaper than what I paid "on sale" when I bought mine about 2 years ago! :x

http://www.hawaiianprodesigns.com.au/Su ... ayama.html

Actually there's a board there I might enquire about!