Filling the gap between my fish and mal

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Filling the gap between my fish and mal

Post by Beerfan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Just sold a board on ebay, and though i didn't have enough for a newy, i grabbed this 2nd hander today. I've been wanting something long, but with less nose than the mal, as its too much in overhead and hollow. This should bridge the gap pretty well. Its a big board, but i like em big haha. Should be a good all rounder actually. Not looking to bust airs, just some nice drivy carving turns.

7'6'' x 14n x 21 1/2 x 15t x 3. I had a 7'10'' that was wider all the way through, and my paltry 83kg could do some pretty decent turns on it with the right fin setup haha. This is a 2+1, but i have some fcs occy side fins, and a 6'' centre fin. I got an fcs adaptor, but the tail is a little thinned out for it to fit at the back of the box.

Jorgo
Local

Re: Filling the gap between my fish and mal

Post by Jorgo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm

So how big Beery? I'm liking my 8 footer and I have a 7'9 - - so whats the dims on this one?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:01 pm

How much nose rocker?
Thats what screws me up transitioning from mal to fish to boards like that.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:16 am

Dims are under the pic mate. Beanpole, the rocker is smooth and not gunny in the nose. I layed it on the floor and i would describe it as "medium" or "natural". Tail rocker is lowish, but again, smooth. Paddles great as you'd imagine, catches waves great, and on late drops, it is ten times better than the mal, obviously. I can feel the length in turns, but that's the tradeoff with longer boards. Mind you, i've surfed it once only, so I need to work out foot placement etc, but so far it feels very user friendly.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:40 pm

I've got two 7'6" boards. One very old one newish. New ones better but its the nose rocker that screws me up. I like some of Bob McTavish's boards with lots of tail rocker but relatively low entry rocker. Might consider looking around for a bob sled or something if I can find one for a good price. I'd like to give my current 7'6" more of a go but its very frustrating to get out in good largeish for me waves and find that although it paddles great it doesn't plane how I like. Quads probably the go.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 am

Plane into waves? I reckon Bonzers are so nice planing into waves.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Was actually thinking along those lines myself.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Good thing about this board is when you get sick of it youll be able to sell it to a backpacker as a good learner board :lol: :lol:

Hows your pacman going these days beery?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:07 am

Good timing. I took the 7'6'' out this morning for the 2nd time. Was only shoulder high but shallow. Paddles great catches waves great. Fin setup is a bit of a pain. I bought an fcs longboard box adaptor. Nice bit of gear, IF it fits the box, which it doesnt. Had to use a 2+1 setup. Got a few ok waves, drivy bottom turns with this fin setup, bit slow to turn though. Im awaiting a 6'' centre fin that'll fit in the box, then i'll try the thruster setup. Still haven't had enough waves on it to say much, though steeper waves are obviously easier to take compared to longboard or fish. For small and steep it's a little too much board ( really!? haha ). Should've packed the fish.

Pacman sits in the shed gathering dust. Probably become a belly board for the kids ( and maybe me! ). My JD fish is just way too good to need another short wide fat board.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Shapers do the 5" or so Ruben Roxburgh centre fins with a longboard box base.
FCS also do an M5 template pc core with longboard base.
Had to shim my M5 one but then sweet.
Is the longboard fcs adaptor loose in the box?
I've been playing with a 6'10" X 21&1/2" X 2&3/4" G&S shaped by Nigel Perrow (Keirrans old man) and a 7'4" X 22" X 2&3/4" G&S which are his magic fish model.
Worked great in the last swell that light up the points this last weekend past and a couple of weeks ago.
This is the 6'10"...both boards have thickness in the foil, nose to tail...old skool.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Very nice pete!. I looked at the RR 5.5", but the 6'' had just a bit more base, while still being a reasonably standard outline. Its going to match with my fcs Occy sides, that are awesome, despite being glass flex. Always liked these fins, really drivy.

Anyway, tomorrow im loading the fish in the car, first time in ages, hope some small swell hangs around. Paddle fitness is gone, but i don't mind huffing n puffing when ya get a sweet little one on the fish!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

The idea behind the G&S's is crowd control on the points when they've got some size and water moving around.
When I'm competing with longboarders in the take off zone I can happily sit deeper and look for fade take offs and carving top turns on the face.
Had fun trying different fin combos/sets to get the feel I want.
Still got my GM diverse 7'6" which will handle bigger walls and give a more mellow ride.
Was interesting reading the crowded points thread as no one talked about board choice.
Well I can't recall it anyway.
A larger board with a nice solid glass job can be such a confidence booster.
But the trend is for as small as possible so I don't mind.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 am

Been looking at those volume calculators on Firewire and a few other sites. These calculations seem to add a lot of useful information but they mean even more head scratching about board length etc. Particularly since there are heaps more high volume boards around.

Anyway I've realised I'm kind of deficient in the 3' to 6' department at the moment unless you count my Carver and a gunny 7'6" board.
Just usually ride a fish or occasionally my mal. Doesn't become an issue that often since Bondi closes out usually over about 3'.

Guess I'll be taking the 7'6" to Bali.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 pm

What's the carver like??. They look like they'd be a good "short" board for longboarders. Only had a few surfs on the 7'6", the mal is getting most use. Havent had many waves last few months. Hangin to get the fish out too

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 pm

My Carver is 7'11", roundtail. Pretty banged up these days with a few repairs but still looks good. Got it on sale for $800 about five years ago. One of those boards that was good from the first surf. Main limitation is duck diving. Tempted to get a carver fish actually. Not sure about the Bob Sled Model. My other 7'6" should go well overseas. Thats originally why I bought it but the length plus rocker is a bit odd for me. Its the sort of board you take out when its good but I find it pretty stiff. It can be surprising but that is usually one or two waves in a session.

Since I got my quad fish I haven't been using it much at all. Kind of thought about a firewire or even a Jim Banks Fish but all that is hypothetical since I probably wont have time to do any surfboard buying before shooting through and I'm pretty sure I'll be skint after the holiday.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 am

The problem with the mal isn't the nose it is the tail

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 am

Hmmm.....Bob McTavish vs Roy?
Also me surfing this board for 5 years. Let's see who I should ignore?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm

that G&S looks tidy, I could get into one of them.