Single fin shortboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Rustt
barnacle

Re: Single fin shortboards

Post by Rustt » Sun May 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Natho wrote:Thrusters are capable of doing so much more and going far more places on a wave.That's why they are so popular. :wink:
Is more always better :?:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun May 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Yep that they can take you more places, but there are just so many crap ones.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon May 28, 2012 11:30 am

Well for many people more is obviously better coz there are far more people on thrusters than singles. It comes down to personal choice though.Nothing wrong with single fins, but to me singles are kinda a step back in the past. Nice to do now and then but you also realise that designs advanced beyond them to thrusters and quads for good reason. A single is certainly a nice way of getting back in tune with the basics of good surfing.
Nothing against singles, but kayu when you say you have only had one thruster possibly one is not enough to make such comparisons.

It is true that there are some crap thrusters, but I have ridden some pretty horrible singles too.

You guys have got me thinking about getting on a single this week though.Great fun now and then :D

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon May 28, 2012 5:33 pm

alakaboo wrote: Rode a 6ft bear wombat (hey topher :) ) as a daily board for 6 months but think they're more of a niche conditions board once you go short.
Hey there alakaboo. Still have the wombat, sick board, probably ride it at least once a week. But am just about to sell it to try something new. (going on feeBay in the next few days if any rs members want first dibs).

I love singles in decent surf. I also always have one. Been riding a 6'6 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/4 single, but with a modernish shape in good waves. I love the way they slide effortlessly into the wave on takeoff. (but I hate the way they slide down the face when ya angle your takeoff wrong >><< ) I love the swoopy glide. I probably look like a kook when I'm riding one......but It just feels good. :D

Balts

Post by Balts » Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 pm

I have a 5'6 single single fin that packs a heap of volume, shaped by VANDA. It is my favourite board for small runnning waves.... just great fun!

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon May 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Glamarama, I think I've met you too....the McCoys and the wombat gave you away.
I think I sold you the cutaway fin for your wombat.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed May 30, 2012 8:05 am

Single fins are really only a step back in the past because of all these guys that shape retro boards, I can't figure out why you would want to pay big bickies for yesterdays ideas. There are quite a few shapers out there that will shape a state of the art modern single fin. if you had a bunch of young hot surfers of today riding modern lightweight singles and nothing else, I think you would find that they would be going to places on waves that would amaze you. Personally I reckon most of these retro boards are shaped by second rate shapers with no new ideas.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed May 30, 2012 9:24 am

I like the idea of 2 + 1's and bonzers, I've always found boards with 1 and 2 fins lack the full range of turn dynamics you can get from 3 or 4.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed May 30, 2012 11:12 am

crustt wrote:Single fins are really only a step back in the past because of all these guys that shape retro boards, I can't figure out why you would want to pay big bickies for yesterdays ideas. There are quite a few shapers out there that will shape a state of the art modern single fin. if you had a bunch of young hot surfers of today riding modern lightweight singles and nothing else, I think you would find that they would be going to places on waves that would amaze you. Personally I reckon most of these retro boards are shaped by second rate shapers with no new ideas.
Yes, yes and yes, but not sure about the second rate shapers comment. They tend to be retro in finishing as well and that is going add a bit to the cost, perhaps not a reflection of what is being charged, but are they justified, well that is up to the individual. I can't get my head around why most people buy what they buy regardless, including myself!

The 'new' idea was a bonzer then twin fin, then thruster, then a quad, then? No and then!

Freestyler
regular

Post by Freestyler » Wed May 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Single fin tail shape? Wider, more classic shape 60s, or narrower ala 70s style. Performance differences?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu May 31, 2012 5:47 am

Here's something for you...progressive...?
http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/phd-si ... n-joy-2011
and yet more...progressive...Rusty Bali single fins...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIfWHAEoapY
Back to older school/skool....because it's got a midlength in it too...
http://vimeo.com/42952046
Edit- all the links should work now.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Thu May 31, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu May 31, 2012 8:15 am

Great vids, second one wouldn't load. The first one showed that there are some young guys that have broken away from the herd and you probably would not have picked it was a single fin if he wasn't popin it out , also he was doing turns that you couldn't do on a 3 or 4 finner. The guy with the long hair in the last vid was a pleasure to watch, basic power surfing and there wasn't really any thing retro about it.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 31, 2012 10:17 am

The guy riding the single well in the last clip looked like he was riding a neal purchse jr...in any event looked good. The first clip looked like the guy needed 2 extra fins.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:46 am

Topher wrote:Glamarama, I think I've met you too....the McCoys and the wombat gave you away.

cant even go incognito on the world wide web

:-(

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:35 am

The singles in those videos actually look really fun. They seem to be quite slippery though, needed a lot of edge control through turns, which is something I'm enjoying for smaller waves at the moment.

I can imagine someone who likes to push hard through turns might find them a little too slippery though.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Glamarama wrote:
Topher wrote:Glamarama, I think I've met you too....the McCoys and the wombat gave you away.

cant even go incognito on the world wide web

:-(
There is nowhere to hide, we re just one big, happy, dsyfunctional family that cant decide if one fin is better than two, three or four :lol:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Sorry captain, i left out the finless part of the family in my response above! How have your experiments been going?
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:31 pm

JaM71 wrote:Sorry captain, i left out the finless part of the family in my response above! How have your experiments been going?
Thanks for asking mate!

Its going really well. If the waves are average its my go-to board. If I'm feeling in a bit of a funk with my HPS boards and getting bored with the whole sport aspect of surfing, I jump on my finless and I'm smiling and laughing straight away.

Its a funny type of surfing, you blow a lot of waves, have very very little control over whats going on, but its a great feeling - the slip, slide, trim and speed. Lots of improvisation on the wave, I love it.

I couldn't do it all the time but its renewed my surfing 10 fold.