Anyone ridden a McTavish SUMO?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: Anyone ridden a McTavish SUMO?

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Only a rat can win the rat race.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Ric - the old Nth Steyne crew (6 takers I think) are talking another Nth Sumatra trip - so I was going to make this for then - just looking for some versatility and looking at set ups. Your post seemed to suggest plenty of options with the set up you got and wondered is all.
Looking at less area in nose and tail for me - but still 8' x 22' x 2/7/8 - but less see what ya got :lol:
Cuttle - it might fit in the "show us ya guns"

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:08 am

Jorgo wrote:Ric - the old Nth Steyne crew (6 takers I think) are talking another Nth Sumatra trip - so I was going to make this for then - just looking for some versatility and looking at set ups. Your post seemed to suggest plenty of options with the set up you got and wondered is all.
Looking at less area in nose and tail for me - but still 8' x 22' x 2/7/8 - but less see what ya got :lol:
Cuttle - it might fit in the "show us ya guns"
Back to Banyaks with Captain Mick?

Might be one on offer for me end of May, but on their new partner vessel 'The Dream' with ze fronch... depends on a pull out and my dance card. :D

Still reckon 8 is too big unless you are more of a cripple than me :lol: At the moment I doubt it, even so 7' is enough.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:39 am

Not fully decided on boat yet Ric - depends on timeslot and our joint availability.
As to ability - sheiza - my back is crap, got arthritic knees and another hernia to get corrected beforehand. So nothing too much is different te he
8 foot will be my standby if I'm too crippled - and I've got the Queenscliff (blue and red) 7'4" i posted out a few months ago.
Just wondering about the fin layout for the 8 footer with a quad - you know rail or stronger centric etc :? oh and of course the 8 ' is a pintail - a little rounded off but a pin non the less :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:32 pm

J-Lo, looks like this... let me know if you need any dimensions. Very rail centric back fins so very twinzer-ish. Think if I were making the same board I would go McKee formula, but that is just me. Sorry about the crappy phone photo.
14022012112.jpg
14022012112.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 6724 times

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Ric - no probs about the photo - thanks for the effort. Yes Mckee I was thinking too, and that pin of yours looks/is very pin there - so is mine too I reckon. What is the tail dimension - and nose for that matter??
I will be going a box as well - so lots of bases covered
Anyway again thanks for the info and views - i'll post a pic of mine before she's glassed I hope - plan shape settled, but lack of shaping bay is my biggest drawback - well that and my ability te he

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 am

J-Lo, bit of info here on the 'models', but as you can see no specifics (nose/tail) for the 7 footer.

http://www.surftechaustralia.com.au/takayama

Interestingly though when you look at the different sizes there isn't a large variation in the dimensions other than length obviously.

I'll put a tape on mine but it may not be exact.

Don't know about you, Jorg, but I'm not sure whether there is as much benefit with quads in longer boards. By that I mean I have done a 9 footer for myself with a 5 fin option but invariably just feels best as a thruster or 2+1. Whereas I have no doubt about the extent of difference in the performance of say my 7 footer.

Having said that, I think the scorpion I have, as a whole, rides much shorter than its 7 foot length would suggest.

Subject of this topic though is the Sumo, whether it has the same qualities I don't know. As I said before, it certainly looks the goods.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:06 am

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Im a bit of midlength fan, and would love a low 7' Sumo/scorpion/diverse style commander. I reckon the super wide nose would trim like a mofo, and you've always got the pin to step back and crank a turn or two.

Is that a s/t ric??. I find midlength/long surftechs can be great boards if they are thinned out due to the extra bouyancy.

There, i said it

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 am

Yes it's a Surftech and yes it is buoyant, but not so much that it is a liability or if it is the pros outweigh the cons.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Here ya go...
$895 on special for a new 6'6" Sumo.
http://www.mctavish.com.au/specials-sur ... sumo-17742
Booyah!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Damn you, Cuttle-f :arrow:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:01 am

I aim to please. :twisted:
Btw...I'm curious whether the feps (fused eps) that Surftech are now using in their blanks means that the corky feel they suffered from before has been moderated or altered at all?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 am

fishfinger :wink: mine is the fused stuff (I believe) cracked the rail in Bali November just after I bought it and just keep putting ding tape over it as a precaution but it crinkles away from the crack so there is some water at least in the area which is to be expected. Certainly does not appear to be changing weight or draining out when warm. I should fix it, but I won't :mrgreen: fixed too many boards for other people in recent years.

With regard to buoyancy compared to the older ones I really couldn't tell you. It is still a very light and therefore buoyant board, no disputing that. As said previously, I haven't felt it is a major drawback.

The only thing that has surprised me is the amount of compression denting I have managed to do... think almost along the lines of a lightweight PU/PE board. Board has travelled and been used a fair bit (in my terms) in its otherwise short life. Otherwise standing up as well as can be expected.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am

Oi J-Lo, dimensions: 7 x 22 x 2 7/8 - N 14.5 and T 19.25 approx., hard to tell on these things without stringers

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Really - nose 14.5 and Tail 19.25 - geez my eyes must be fading on me. :shock:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 am

Jorgo wrote:Really - nose 14.5 and Tail 19.25 - geez my eyes must be fading on me. :shock:
Yes, something like that, I didn't take the fin out so the tail could be wider.

Here's the official dimension from the Surftech website for the 6'8" version, doesn't list the 7' numbers:

N: 19”
M: 21 3/4”
T: 15”
TH: 2 7/8”

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am

Tail wider that 19.25 :shock: - now you really are pulling my leg Mr Ric