Ways to rack/hang your boards.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Ways to rack/hang your boards.

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm

I bet there's plenty of clever low cost ways to keep your boards in order.
I've used a market marquee that I had spare to keep my boards up and out of harms way and a piece of cake to lower boards straight onto the cars roof racks.
I know I've put quite a few fractures into noses and tails of boards carting them around the house to car in the past (hence use of covers) so anything that minimises handling in confined spaces is good for me.
Figured I'd post about it as everyone who's seen it has remarked that it's a good idea so good to pass it around.
What do others use?
Pics if you can be bothered.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Re: Ways to rack/hang your boards.

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Pete, i made some fancy angle iron brackets at work, painted them and all. Then they sat in the garage, as i couldn't be arsed drilling through the bricks. So then i grabbed some spare structural pine, and whipped some up in an hour, and screwed them into the beam about the bricks haha. Too easy, and they work great.

Whatever works hey?. I hear you on dinging boards in garages. Since getting board bags, i fix less dings!!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:06 pm

I got some thick dowel, inserted it into some treated pine at a 45 degree angle and bolted that to the wall. Made two of them, does the job perfectly
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I made a cheap roof hanger and screwed it into the roof in the garage.

I got some old timber curtain rods from the neighbour's garage sale, (about 35mm diameter), made a frame from 75mm x 15mm pine with right angled bits on the ends and rebated (that the right word?) with a hole saw and screwed into the ends of the dowel. Made it in two sections that butt up to each other, and because of the glue screw and then back to back nature they are surprisingly strong. All up cost about $30 plus paint and beer. Stores 8 boards side by side. Link to a bad pic, but you'll get the drift...

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... G_0094.jpg
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:59 pm

That's a decent shed cuttlefish. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 pm

There's some serious metalwork in the garage but its got a house to support on top. :roll:
Looking up.
We're surrounded by 100' plus trees so hopefully we never get to find out how strong the house's steel frame is.
I've just thrown some more pics of the red railed gun (on the right of the rack pic) on the "Show us yer guns" thread further down the page as I know you like a nice gun Trev.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm

I need somethin non invasive due to the fact I'll be renting, about to move into a house with a decent length but narrow garage but the roof is no bullshit 14 foot high, so I'm thinking something above head high is the go, that marquee idea is on the right track cuttlefish, might have to go round to my mates place with a drawing some steel and a few slabs of beer.
Where I am currently is eyebolts that go through the gyprock and roof trusses with chains and crossbars at three levels attached hanging down to about 4.5 feet so the tinnie can roll in and out underneath.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:22 am

i need to do that. then place it above a door in the entry area.
atm, they are just leaning in the corner on some foam blocks..i spent yesterday afternoon repairing noses and tails on my two boards.
Grooter wrote:I got some thick dowel, inserted it into some treated pine at a 45 degree angle and bolted that to the wall. Made two of them, does the job perfectly

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Mine are all stacked in the light well under some polycarbonate that I've hung shade cloth under to keep the sun out. Its faced with old wooden louvred paneling that a friend was throwing out years ago. Works okay and I've got a tool box on a gal stand under there as well.

Worst damage in storage was a couple of years ago at Rainbow Bay. They had cages under the apartments and being slack I didn't put the boards back in their bags after a surf. Both slipped onto some exposed bolts and got puncture marks. :? :?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Mine are just laying under the floorboards on the rail against the brick piers. Been meaning to do something more permanent for ages. I've got exposed wooden floor joists to drill into so there's no excuses :roll:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:49 am

Hey Wingnut,
If you get a couple of short pieces of pvc water pipe and put your straps through them it will be easier to slide your boards up through the straps. :idea:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:23 pm

had a shadehouse frame was in the way of trampoline, so brought it in to b'room, have foam lounge from balcony brought in too, too many papers atm working on, and boards all lay on top, worst underneath resting on top of wooden frame. Chuck users on top of them, they're not upright as I'd like, but at least not getting knocked down in living room by housemate guests etc.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Shadehouse and couch in bedroom. Tramp out the back. daryl, the nutty professor
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm

swvic wrote:Shadehouse and couch in bedroom. Tramp out the back. daryl, the nutty professor
not the way the bar's been raised, it's a closed shop.

Least I fixed my river-rafting :oops: dings out on the verandah.

lawny
Grommet

Post by lawny » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Grooter wrote:I got some thick dowel, inserted it into some treated pine at a 45 degree angle and bolted that to the wall. Made two of them, does the job perfectly
exactly how i made mine, just used broom handles for the dowel to make it cheaper :wink: