Single Fin Nugget - fin selection?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

damo666
regular

Single Fin Nugget - fin selection?

Post by damo666 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:11 pm

I have a little 6"2' pin tail/nugget type single fin for tiny little days. Its quite thick, with REALLY hard, sharp rails all the way to the nose. Fun to ride.

It came with a simple 7" FCS single fin in it as per the pic below.
Seems to go OK, but I like to fiddle with things. Is there a different type of fin I should give a go?

I have NFI about the single fin options out there - cutaways, dolphin fins, star fins, ezi trim's, wavegrinders etc etc. Is there a simple way to determine the proper fin size for a board this big too?

JaM71
charger

Re: Single Fin Nugget - fin selection?

Post by JaM71 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 am

Hi damo,

If you are looking at a dolphin style fin, i reckon you d need a 7.5 to 8 inch fin, greenough style with good flex. Check out michael cundith s website (mc surf) in byron...and they can ship it to you.

I tried a fin smaller than this as a single fin in mine and it worked to a point but it was incredibly loose so i couldnt do any driving turns at all. The guy who shaped the board then recommended a larger fin if i wanted to go down that route (as a 2 plus 1 the smaller fin is fine).

As for positioning i push mine as far forward as possible, i like em loose :D
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 pm

I've got a 6'0 eggy/mini mini mal type thing and I use a 8" fin almost all the way back. It's drivey and carvey like this and you can step way forward for trim speed and it holds really well. Although my board has a pretty wide tail.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 pm

I have a McCoy (Darren Rogers) nugget single fin but those have pretty soft rails. I use it with the sort of boomerang/knuckle single fin that came with the board. Seems good to me, with more drive than the dolphin fins I remember from the late 70's early 80's.