The Diverse "Broad bean" Dynocore hybrid quiver killer.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

The Diverse "Broad bean" Dynocore hybrid quiver killer.

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:01 pm

The conversation went like this...
"The 6'2" is a little bit undervolumed but can I buy it"? Asks Cuttlefish.
"No, everyone who demos one wants to buy the demo". Replies Dave.
I'm dissapointed at this but then Dave suggests, "I'll make you a new one in a 6'4" with the right amount of volume".
Problem solved...well not really...have to find the money to pay for it.
Here's come a quiver adjustment.
So after riding the Diverse Broad bean, Dynocore, demo in a 6'2" X 21" X 2&3/4" (38.5 litres) at good 3' Burleigh, 3' at my local point and then giving it back and collecting it again to ride it in 3-5' reeling Broken head with good barrels on offer I was sold on the Dynocore technology and the versatility of the Broad bean shape. Got one wave that opened
up in front and the back door barrel I got will keep being replayed in my mind for years to come. Took a high line into it and then turned back down the face as it really started sucking up and the Broad bean handled the speed and drop down the face like a performance
shortboard beleing its rounded, low rockered hybrid shape.
I'm 6'1" and 92-93 odd kgs (205-210lbs) but 48 years old so I'd been surfing all kinds of boards over the last several years to keep age at bay and keep the surfing experience as fresh and varied as possible.
Fish of all species (twins and quads, traditional and modern, poly and epoxies) have been favourites. Also explored mid-lengths and longboards from 8-10'again in both poly's and epoxies. Old school. modern hp explored the differences.
Pretty much rode anything that took my interest. Many of my recent boards (if poly) were either glassed in 6+6 to resist heel denting and the knocks of everyday handling out of the water and mis-haps in the water.
After riding many and varied craft i can really appreciate a great hybrid and the Broad bean is just that.
It has an eps stringerless core with a secret sauce blend of resins and laminated in a mix of innegra, carbon fibre and other weaves strategically placed to give the best blend of flex and strength while mainatining lightness.
More than this I don't know about the building of the board but I do know it works well and I can testify to it's strength. I duckdived one wave in shallow water on the demo and the lip drilled me into the bottom. My cheek hit the deck so hard I thought I'd broken it.
Did absolutely nothing to the deck.
I actually like boards that last but trouble of course with poly construction is heavier glass jobs are...you guessed it...heavy, which deadens the flex and cuts into that lively feeling.
The Dynocore construction feels great underfoot with the flex giving it a very lively feel. One wave I was on at Burleigh and could see the wave running away from me and thought I wouldn't make the section. Oh well, might as well give it a shot and before I knew it I've made the section and into a cutback.
Dave has built in front foot heel dents because the decks are so resistant to heeldenting. Going to be good having a board that doesn't have a deck that looks like the surface of the moon after a few surfs but still has the lightness to surf like a lightly glassed poly performance board.
Yet it has a normal epoxy board feel to it rather than a corky tuflite feel. Anyway after only a few weeks wait time I've received my own Broad bean in a 6'4" X 21" X 2&7/8" and 42.1 litres of volume.
Unfortunately the waves were only 1' today for its first surf. Small, weak waves and I have never really got along. The Broad bean paddled through the flats well and caught waves really easily. I have a bad habit of sitting further out than I should and this morning I was sitting out with the longboarders and catching waves easily which is not the norm for me.
Very happy with that. The Bean allowed me to do quick off the tops before the wave fattened out. Planing really well across the full, gutless inside sections in a fishy way.
The extra 2" of length, thickness and overall litreage boost had the water level at my lower ribs when the board was level underneath me.
Very comfortable with this level of float.
Used Sunny Garcia front fins and GX pc composite rears.
The first time I rode the shorter demo it had M5 fronts and M3 rears. I found it good except I could overpower the tail and have it sliding in cutbacks.
Using Stretch template fronts and M5's in the rear solved the tail sliding but tightened it up a touch too much when coming off the top.
Hopefully the Sunny fronts and GX rears should be good in better waves.
Got the new board stoke going on but still level headed enough to know this is going to be a favourite.
It won't be a Magic carpet but rather a magic bean.

Here's a few pics...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Versatraction from scraps used on the deck so no wax too.
Here's a link to Dave's site with poly Broad beans....
http://store.diversesurf.com.au/categor ... road-Bean/
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Re: The Diverse "Broad bean" Dynocore hybrid quiver killer.

Post by Beerfan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Jealous mate!! New board stoke is the best!!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Here's some more pics...
What's weird is the rail looks really blocky in this picture but it's actually not all that chunky.

Carbon tape on the rails

Funded by a quiver cull of epic proportions.
The quiver now consists of my Broad bean, MC 7t 7'er and the 4'2" Turtle which should be hatched by Friday. Hoo haa!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:01 am

great spot to take pics there mate....
Image :lol:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 am

I wonder what would happen if a broad bean and dumpling got cooked up together?
Great minds think alike!
Throw it in with some turtle soup. :lol:
Here's a link to the bean on the Diverse site...
http://store.diversesurf.com.au/categor ... road-Bean/
and a better planshape shot

Ocean is in the process of turning itself into a lake here by the look of things and so trying the bean out as twin + trailer may have to wait a while.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 am

Hey cuttlefish, can I get your thoughts? Tossing up between a FW Dominator 6'2" and 6'4" as a summer small wave board. I'm 89-91kg generally. The shape etc on the Dom and the Broadbean seem to be really similar. What do you think, or not much difference either way?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:33 pm

If it was me I'd have to go with the 6'4" (taking into account age) which is 6'4" X 21" X 2 3/4" (40.6 litres) as it had me floating at about nipple level.
I demoed one a few years ago at 1' Currumbin and was able to get it going but struggled when the wave fattened out.
Small waves and I generally don't get along though.
I actually felt a lot more comfortable on the 6'6" which goes against all the shorter, shorter, shorter.
Just remembered you've owned a McCoy so no stranger to some foam.
Dougall Walker (ex-pro surfer) who is about the same age as me apparently rides a 6'6" and is 90 kgs so I'm not completely alone.
But I'm assuming you're plenty younger than me so it would be the 6'2" X 20 3/4" X 2 5/8" (38.1 litres).
http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/quive ... =dominator
My mate who's the same age as me but shorter and about 78 kgs rides a 6'er and is very happy with it.
He bought one after riding a friends 6'er after surfing it on a boat trip through the Ments when the waves were only 3' or so.
The posters on the Firewire forum are big on going small hey!
I haven't measured the broad bean but I'd guess it has a slightly wider nose and a narrower tail.
This is a good choice though...
http://store.diversesurf.com.au/product ... board.html
Ive sold my 4 month old dvs full carbon 6'4" and because I've got the Broad bean I can easily live with that because it's such a great board.
Best way is to demo one a dom 6'4" possible.
Maybe call Firewire at Currumbin and ask them who they given a 6'2" demo to in Sydney (?) and give one a run.

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:42 am

Actually the broad bean and the dominater come from quite different surfing angles. If you like the dominator perhaps our racing mullet is a good option.. One of the things not mentioned enough is our 50% guaranteed trade in for 12 months on dynocores and all our boards.. there is a stack or ex demos etc up on eBay at the moment, perhaps there might be one there that suits you to try out. We also a are slowly building up stock in our online store at www.diversesurf everything there is actual stock in out Tugun store.. Cheers guys, Dave

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:18 am

There's a sweet little SG in the used section that im tossing up to buy dave. 6'2''. I've had to move all the crap from my garage to the shed/shaping bay, so there's nowhere i can glass my latest, without dragging everything out and re arranging. Tempted to grab that little SG for now!!.

Sucks to have a shaped blank ready to glass just sitting there. Im sure it'll get dinged somehow by the time i get around to glassing it!.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm very confident you'd love a Dynocore SG Mark!
When it comes to versatility for me I'd rather ride the broad bean in good waves than a dominator.
I've ridden both the 6'4" and 6'6" dominator in sucky 3' GC beachbreaks.
The kind you have to pick and choose or you're going to get pitched.
Still know the Broad bean handles good waves better after surfing the 6'2" demo at Burleigh and great Broken head.
But I'm comparing apples to oranges so listen to Dave (of course) with his recommendation for one of his models with more similarity to a dominator.
The spanner in the works for Firewire does seem to be quality control which is a shame.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey pete, m looking at a PUPE SG. Really shouldn't get it, as i have no room for the boards i do have!!. Plus, i have a shaped blank ready to glasss, which is a 6'6'' single fin egg, from a template from someone who knows the shape very well :wink: . My marriage probably wouldn't support another bought board hehe. The SG model looks super fun, and something i know i'd enjoy, in pretty much everything i surf.

Looks like it might be gone, i can't see it on the site :(

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:04 pm

You could make an offer on this SG dynocore.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/64-Diverse-D ... 45fcafe1a9
You never know....
There's a 6'10" as well.
Both boards have the same litreage.
The Dynocore will change the way you think...
BTW the sg's feel heftier than the other dynocores which is just how you like em.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Oooh shit mate, that's nice! but i'd have to sell a board first. By the time it sold that one'd be gone. I still think PUPE works well for boards like that, but i'm keen to try lighter boards ( i just bought a 6'2'' Marko EPS blank for a semi fish ).

Weird, when i opened the page it was there, so i put in my "cart". Then when i went to pay for it, it was gone. Can't find it now, it seems to have gone. Maybe someone just beat me to it?!. Spewing!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Talk to Dave!!!!!
BTW it wasn't me. I have NO money! :lol:
It's not this "beer" coloured one is it?
http://store.diversesurf.com.au/72-x-21 ... urf-board/

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Nah not that one, it was a 6'2''. Will see in the morning, fingers crossed!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Had a great surf on the Broad bean this morning.
5' Bluff with the DVS quad set that worked well in the wasp when it was sub 3' but sliding in larger waves.
The wasp has a McKee plug set up wheras the broad bean has it's rear plugs closer to the rail.
The DVS fins are only rated for 65-75 kgs but with the plugs closer to the rail I figured worth a try.
The fins worked brilliantly with no trackiness or at the other end of the spectrum...(unwanted) sliding on the set waves. Just a great carving feel in both bottom turns and top turns.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:47 am

Dave has just done another Broad bean dynocore in a 6'2" X 21" x 2 3/4" which is the same dims as the one I demoed in the first post in this thread.
http://store.diversesurf.com.au/62-x-21 ... n-diverse/
If you're looking at it thinking..."too expensive"...that couple of hundred more than a poly will give you a lighter and much stronger board.
:wink:
Where my 6'4" is really shining is as a step up board for me.
I've been using it when the waves get better and 3'+ and because I'm older and my pop up isn't a 20 year olds anymore the wider forward planshape helps a lot with the stability on pop up with early planing.
If I was riding a more conventional, narrower nosed board I know my takeoffs would be more open to pilot error.
Still handles steeper drops and the nose isn't too thick so not impeded by excess swing weight or excess foam up front in top turns.
Looking at my Broad bean the planshape is not too dissimilar to some of the Thomos which those in the US are frothing about.