Show us your guns!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

surfanimals
Local

Re: Show us your guns!

Post by surfanimals » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi mate,

I had a sniff around the racing sup side of things (sups have no place in the surf) and also was riding an OC1 but once a surfer always a surfer so, it's surfing for life.
Riding a 7''6 x 21 1/2 x 3 mainly, have this 9'0 to cruise and a 10' 'crowd beater' for log days.

Getting this 9'0 out tmrw for the first time and if the forecast holds up I'm going to take it up to Cres'n'ed this weekend.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Nice.
Look forward to hearing how it goes.
I'm racking my brain in pursuit of another mid-length board atm.
What's your 7'6"?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:49 am

First things first, the 9'0 exceeded all expectations....was amazingly good.

Tested in 2-3 foot shallow reef / sand A frame waves and it floated very well (as expected), was super fast down the line, much more responsive than I expected and turned on a dime.
Pulled off a backhand roundhouse 2nd wave and was blown away by the speed and tight turning circle.
I'd say the FCS centre fin rather than a box may let it down in waves of consequence though as it may not grip in 6 foot plus and might just be too loose as opposed to a 6 or 6.5 inch rake....time will tell.

The 7'6 is this baby;
I fell in love with the shape and grabbed it 2nd hand to try it out - have a custom being shaped now but have upped the dimensions slightly to be 7'6 x 22 x 3 1/8 x 14 x 15.
The thickness comes a fair way out to the edge and it's a really soft rail that lends itself to being a really versatile and easy to ride board for a 100kg guy.

It's apt that it remains in the 'gun' forum as to some, it is a gun I know !

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 am

That 7'6'' is a fine looking board. Well, the 9'0'' is too but it'd be wasted on me. The 7'6'' on the other hand, i could have some fun on that. I had a bog standard flat bottom thruster 7'6'' minimal. I surfed knee high to half overhead ( as big as i go ) on it, and it went insane. Bit wider in the nose than your 7'6'', so i could trim up front on tiny waves, but in bigger stuff it would get in early, and the narrow square tail was good for decent turns. Would love to get something similar to that one though, for an all rounder.

Did mick glass it? I hear he's semi retired now.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:50 am

Hi mate, yeah the 7'6 is a beauty....one of those that you come by and just can't take your eyes off....it surfs as well as it looks too.
When my new one is finished, your welcome to take the one in the photos for a few sessions.
Mick sold the business to Shane Hornby, an East Corrimal lad who's doing a great job, really nice guy and who seems to have bought a whole new range of short board styles and riders to the mix being heavily involved in that scene. Mick comes in on Tuesdays in a mentor role and is still glassing boards that people wish him to glass or for example, my 9'0 as Shane wanted THE perfect job so got Mick to do it so as much as its sold, Snake is still shaping and Mick glassing some boards and generally giving advice and helping out.
Cheers Chris.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:59 pm

surfanimals wrote:Hi mate, yeah the 7'6 is a beauty....one of those that you come by and just can't take your eyes off....it surfs as well as it looks too.
When my new one is finished, your welcome to take the one in the photos for a few sessions.
Mick sold the business to Shane Hornby, an East Corrimal lad who's doing a great job, really nice guy and who seems to have bought a whole new range of short board styles and riders to the mix being heavily involved in that scene. Mick comes in on Tuesdays in a mentor role and is still glassing boards that people wish him to glass or for example, my 9'0 as Shane wanted THE perfect job so got Mick to do it so as much as its sold, Snake is still shaping and Mick glassing some boards and generally giving advice and helping out.
Cheers Chris.
Mick Carrabine retired ?....good to see him pass it on, and still be involved....he has a long history.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:48 pm

this is a gun
Attachments
IMG1.jpg

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:01 am

:shock:
Attachments
Wayne Lynch 018.jpg

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:18 am

crustt wrote:this is a gun
One of Kirks?

How big?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm

carabine surf designs, those deck decals almost had me reading it as a L.S.D .......

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:19 pm

saltman, a price on that board mate ,i fancy that.whats all round condition.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:49 pm

steve shearer wrote:
One of Kirks?

How big?
Not sure how big, was back in Nov.95, 10' something maybe 11. I'm 5'8".
Yes it is one of Kirks personals, He lent it to me so I could go out with him as I only had an 8'8". It had never been used so I had to promise to pay $700 us if I broke it.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 pm

crustt wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
One of Kirks?

How big?
Not sure how big, was back in Nov.95, 10' something maybe 11. I'm 5'8".
Yes it is one of Kirks personals, He lent it to me so I could go out with him as I only had an 8'8". It had never been used so I had to promise to pay $700 us if I broke it.
11'4" :!:

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:19 am

Just got these delivered, 7"0", 7'6" and 8'0" woohoo ready for Autumn :D :D :D :D
Attachments
new boards 003.JPG
new boards 004.JPG
new boards 008.JPG
new boards 006.JPG

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm searching for another fin for this EPS 7'5" semi gun...most box fins are made for longboards so not sure what would suit this particular board?

How do flex-fins go on gunny type boards?
IMG_3188.jpg
IMG_3188.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
IMG_3190.jpg
IMG_3190.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 5755 times

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Im not much help with fin size sorry, but im keen to know a bit more about your board. How wide is it, and what kind of waves is it for?. Im asking because I like a bit of length, and need something for head high and a half and hollow. That looks like it'd go good in those kind of waves.

P.S what is wrong with the current fin?

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Hey Beerfan,

I'm pretty sure it 7'5" x 19 & 1/2" x 2 & 1/2" but I'd have to double check, it's an EPS blank glassed really strong but feels so very light...Shaped by Steve at Friedman Flyers.

I don't ride a long board much these days, mainly short boards or eggs but wanted something for bigger days at 'Big Left' here at Flinders, Vic.

The current fin is ok but a little stiff (solid glass by Fin Solutions), it's a 7" with quite a broad base & fair amount of rake...I was just wondering if there's more of a specific fin suited for single fin guns?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 am

Without spending any money I'd first move the fin forward to loosen the board up.
If it still doesn't feel right after trying different positions in the box....I'd put a fin like this in there.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170853721423 ... 1423.l2649
More upright with less rake and base.
I'd also have a fin screw which allows adjustment in the water to find the best position for the fin. Good to have one of these.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-LONGBOAR ... 46044d162f
Or these...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WONDERBOLT-f ... 20c65f2afe
A flex fin (ala Greenough type 4A) in bigger waves wouldn't be my cup of tea.
The flex and then rebound as they flex back again can be interesting.
Only a rat can win the rat race.