The big guy's small wave shredding implement- The Dumpling

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: The big guy's small wave shredding implement- The Dumpli

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:23 am

P.S i reckon a simmons done with EPS/epoxy would go even better. You could either go standard glass job, for ultra light, or stronger than standard glass but still have a lively little board.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:44 am

Don't normally pay that much attention to how Mark's surfing as I'm usually floating around out the back waiting for waves when Mark's riding them.
Arrived at the beach and headed out to see Mark take off and hit the gas pedal on his new dumpling and the result was impressive.
So I watched him catch a stack of waves and pull them apart while I was struggling to get even one turn in out there (torn medial ligament and time out of the water don't help).
I really liked the refinement of the nose area on Mark's dumpling compared to the first dumpling I rode.
One of the things all surfers have to deal with is time.
I'm pushing 49 now and my pop up has slowed down considerably in the last few years.
No problem for higher tide waves but lower tide waves are my bug bear.
Sound familiar?
So I need a board that lets me get into the wave as early as possible and get the speed down the line.
I already knew the dumpling could do this after riding the first prototype even with a volume level which Mark said was bordering on too low for him at 85 kgs and I was 92kgs.
So more volume was required.
Want to go 5'10" for a little extra rail.
Being 6'1" and now 95 kgs means I want to keep things in proportion.
One thing I've noticed is when say a 5'5" is stretched out to 6'5" for a bigger guy the width is diss-proportionate.
First noticed this stretched template phenomenon on the Astron zot McCoy thread where a sub 6'er would have a nice even curve in the template but when taken out to 6'8" and beyond would look like an egg.
So my 5'10" is going to be 22"s wide to keep the outline curve as close as possible to the outline curve of Mark's 5'5".
Thickness is going to be thick.
Not mucking around here...3 1/8".
Not concerned with corkiness as it's never been much of an issue with poly and my last McCoy lazor zap was 6'4" X 21" X 3" and corkiness was a non-issue.
The deck will be domed and into rails that bely the chubbiness that lurks in the planing area of the board.
Bottom is going to be flat through double concave into v out through the tail.
Tail will be a wide diamond-tail.
Since this board is designed as a small wave one the planing area under both front and back feet will be maximised so that there's little need to adjust foot placement through the ride. Less room for error on pop up too.
Got a new monniker for my board...
The Wasp!
Put some sting into an old guys surfing.
To be continued...
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 am

Jeez pete, you like buying new boards, don't ya!. Im jealous!!.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:14 am

Aw schucks...still only got 3 in the quiver.
I've had a torn medial ligament in my knee so kicking the turtle has proved problematic.
The Diverse dynocore likes a 2'+ wave to get it's mojo on so needed a groveller.
Ferret a bit of money away here and there and I can usually afford a new board every so often.
Being a clean living guy means I don't spend money on vices others tend to expend upon.
The Wasp should be getting shaped today if memory serves. :D

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:36 am

Cuttly, you have a lot to look forward to.
Bit of a review on my new dumpling!
Received a couple of weeks ago now and when it arrived I had never seen such a beautifully glossy piece of board, I went with some tints I saw on a board that I loved and credit to marks glasser it came out spectacularly. The shape itself is great to look at, I love the slightly pointed nose, and a wide diamond tail - much more aesthetically pleasing than the original dumpling. It is 6'0, 21 and1/4, 2 & 3/4. There is loads of foam through it, but is very refined around the tail. I'm 6'2 and 87kgs to give you an idea of how it performs with that weight.
I've had several surfs on my dumpling now. And it is shit hot.
Paddles like an absolute dream, as in quite often I'm standing before the wave has broken. Despite how thick and wide it is, whatever mark does with the rockers curves and in the bottom etc makes it so so easy to turn, it is so much fun. I had it glassed quite heavily as I want it to last, and the board goes so well I can't see how being lighter would make it any better, now I have a magic board that will last me a very long time :)
I have found it has already progressed my surfing as all the speed you get gives you plenty of opportunity to float, cutback, turn. I am actually surprised how hard you can turn this board, get it on rail and it just whips around, I have done some of the smoothest/ funnest floaters in my surfing career as well.
I am a decidedly average surfer in terms of ability and this board has just made surfing about 10 times more fun than it's ever been. I took a bit of a punt getting mark to shape this as I had never seen or surfed one of his boards, but he definitely has a repeat customer here - mark how do you go shaping shortys?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Great when a board clicks straight away....
Here's a couple of pics of my slab of foam.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not too long to wait now. 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:45 am

Hmm, i really like these dumpling shapes, especially that last one. Pete, make very sure you do a ride report!!. Nice curve there mark, is the tail still wide with that curve??

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:56 am

yeah mate, still wide back there but its a matter of getting that right blend of width, bottom contours, tail curve ( planshape ) as well as the fin placement, I guess thats the same as any board really but the focua on this design is to be a great groveller, lots of speed, really good paddler but still able to do serious turns and they are doing that so I am stoked on the results.....I have been my own guinea pig as usual and learnt alot about these shapes in the last few weeks...been trying different fins and setttings and also have had another surfer or 2 doing some feedback/ trials for me with a few different fin templates...ya gotta go thru the trails to really know the little things to make a certain design go well, ya need to know how it feels, not just go on looks, or feedback from others, can not beat feelings when you ride a shape, and if you ride them, design them, and and shape them, then its gotta make the overall knowledge that much more thorough and I can make adjustments with full confidence...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 pm

The Cuttlefish , Wasp, Dumpling looks like it'll be here on Friday or Sat at the latest...havent seen ya in the water lately, you abstaining til ya get the new sled or just to busy mate....still wanna try the GST one day.... 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Been pretty busy and tweaked my knee again by sliding down the hill next to the house.
All ok...NE'rs blowing but I've just come back from hooning around on the skateboard with my kids which was FUN!
Bring on Fri/Sat!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:19 pm

sliding down a hill and been skateboarding, no wonder ya keep stuffin ya knee :roll: .... :) 8) better get fit and injury free coz its almost Dumpling season..... :roll:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:39 pm

It's coming!
But so is Christmas. :lol:
Just don't leave the country.
Oi! Hang on!
You're planning to bugger off to the land of fake watches, fake women and biggy smelly packaderms soon.
May need to put in an order for a bottle of Sang Som (whisky) to be brought back in Cain's luggage. :oops:
Just so you don't mess up your own duty free limit that is. :wink:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Here we have the Wasp - somehwhat blacker than I envisaged.
Maybe the blackness of the colour scheme reflects how my black heart will allow me to proceed to plunder and pillage my weasely guts out in the NE wind slop of springtime.
Aaarrrhhh!
Or is the board laminated with an Orange county inmates uniform as a fabric inlay with the numbers hidden to protect the escapee on the lam?
Here's some pics...

Haven't had a chance to get it wet...yet.
Fins are DVS carbon/pc's.
Wasp graphic by Cain (Mark's son).

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm

what's up with those boardies Mark? :lol:

Board looks nice. The wasp is pretty cool too.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:01 pm

hey Wands....the boardies are a coffee bean print , I got em for free from a shop a do some boards for...I like em and they are a great stretchy material, might look a bit like boxers, or at least thats what my 8 yr old daughter tells me, I think she'll be tellin me what to wear in no time....haha....good luck with that...

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Mark I was straight round to Cuttle's place to look at it.... great work mate, when this other thing sells I want one EXACTLY the same. Except for the spray. I absolutely love it, but there can only be one Wasp.
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 am

Those fins have me intrigued, Cuttle. What do they do for the board compared to say G5's and G3's?

Looser, or more drivey?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:23 am

Hey Cuttie,

Nice looking board. Been meaning to try out the DVS fins, how do they go. FYI try the H3 fronts and H3 quad rears, best set up I have used ever!

Your new board spray looks very similar to the new DVS Wasp!
Attachments
Wasp 1.JPG
Wasp 1.JPG (66.72 KiB) Viewed 4913 times