Tomo Surfboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Tomo Surfboards

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 am

What I see when I see someone surfing a modern planing hull varient, is a lot more flow and speed carried through everything. It looks pretty much the same as high-perf surfing, but they just carry that much more flow and speed from turn to turn. Thats parallel with what I feel when I've surfed some different ones too. I've surfed a JD version, the Vanguard, a Gnech prototype, and a more high-perf Dumpling model by MP.

Give someone like Tom Current one, and he does look like he carries more speed and flow, even with his levels of finesse.

Whether they are valid next step in performance surfboards that supercede the traditional current boards, I don't know. They seem to be better for the air game under certain feet, and the mini wakeboard skateboard thing makes sense to me for airs. The average surfer will get a lot more out of it I reckon. Faster, easier and still responsive. Win-win combination in the right dimensions.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:12 pm

I don't know CC, with due respect I observed the opposite watching Dan surf at the Point lately, and Stu Kennedy.

the arcs look short and ineffectual to me, they don't carry out to the shoulder for a proper sweeping roundhouse..which has to be the foundation for all good pointbreak surfing.

I think Curren's surfing on one looks horrible. He lost the very attributes which made his surfing so aesthetically pleasing.

In a word they look underpowered, or too easily over-powered and very limited by that ultra short rail line.

I appreciate they might feel very differently to how they look.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:43 pm

here's another planing hull, the psychedelic germ.
skip forward to 1:20 to see it do it's thing properly

https://vimeo.com/62229999

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:04 pm

They're not planing hulls in the sense that Tomo's are planing hulls derived from Simmons concepts...

Those Hayden Shapes Germs, Shred Sleds and Hyptos are derived from early/mid seventies wide point forwards single fins.

Different beast.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:55 pm

I think that video to a degree highlights Steve's point about short rail lines. If only he had more rail he would be surfing even better. The video shows the limitations of boards like that in being able to draw out a turn.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:04 pm

steve shearer wrote:They're not planing hulls in the sense that Tomo's are planing hulls derived from Simmons concepts...

Those Hayden Shapes Germs, Shred Sleds and Hyptos are derived from early/mid seventies wide point forwards single fins.

Different beast.
I see, haven't been following the thread properly, as i think tomos surf ugly as sin.
wouldn't mind a go on this thing by andrew kidman though

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:11 pm

^^^

I think those boards are the last ones I would want in that size surf. Those boards, and in that size surf, just smack of trying to be different for the sake of it. Having said that, if hipsters jump on board and struggle, I'm all for it.

Wow...I'm starting to sound like Iggy on a Hypto Krypto rant.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I've ridden that board in the bottom shot a couple of times when I was helping Andrew shoot Lost in the Ether.

rode very fast and slippery feeling....but that was as a single fin. I think it would go better with the dual keels anchoring the tail.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:32 pm

I'll bet it had ouvre steve

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I've been having a blast surfing my FST nano.
Don't have any trouble with a short rail line on it...riding a 6'2" (LOL).
Had very positive comments on how it's going for me.
Especially gratifying when one of the persons commenting was talking about how it went in sub waist high waves which has always been my achilles heel as a big guy.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:39 pm

steve shearer wrote:I've ridden that board in the bottom shot a couple of times when I was helping Andrew shoot Lost in the Ether.

rode very fast and slippery feeling....but that was as a single fin. I think it would go better with the dual keels anchoring the tail.
it'd be bananas on big greeny walls

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:23 pm

steve shearer wrote:I don't know CC, with due respect I observed the opposite watching Dan surf at the Point lately, and Stu Kennedy.

the arcs look short and ineffectual to me, they don't carry out to the shoulder for a proper sweeping roundhouse..which has to be the foundation for all good pointbreak surfing.

I think Curren's surfing on one looks horrible. He lost the very attributes which made his surfing so aesthetically pleasing.

In a word they look underpowered, or too easily over-powered and very limited by that ultra short rail line.

I appreciate they might feel very differently to how they look.
i disagree. i think his surfing looks better on the tomo. theres a clip of him in mexico surfing the tomo and a regular shortboard in the same waves. imo he looks more fluid, smoother and faster on the tomo.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Only a rat can win the rat race.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:06 pm

that wave looks almost exactly like snapper at the moment.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:17 pm

no. thanks for reminding me though

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Re: Curren, airs get applause, style gets respect. Legend.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:21 am

Thats the video I had in mind, hes surfing beatifully on that board. I'm not sure what model it is, it looks round nosed and round tailed with the characteristic planing hull thing (straight parallel rails for a good way).
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Thats the video I had in mind, hes surfing beatifully on that board. I'm not sure what model it is, it looks round nosed and round tailed with the characteristic planing hull thing (straight parallel rails for a good way).
That is a EVO Captain.