review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by buzzy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 am

You'd think Darren Rogers would be entitled to shape a nugget.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 pm

"Currently".
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 am

Hello,
I see on Geoff's website that he has two version of the Lazor Zap (see link below). Does anyone know which version/phase of the Lazor Zap the surftech version is ?

http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/v1/lazor-zap

Thanks,

Nathan

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:33 am

It would be the phase I because the Surftechs haven't changed since they came out years ago.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:05 am

Are the other differences beyond phase 1 having a single fin and phase 2 being a thruster?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 am

Here's the link to explain...http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/v1/lazor-zap

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 pm

thanks

it was difficult to read with the very nice pics of surfers on mccoys all over the screen.

what i could make of it is that the lazor zap has evolved to todays design. if i order one today the only choice is single or thruster. or was there something vital hidden under those pics that i have missed?

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:It would be the phase I because the Surftechs haven't changed since they came out years ago.
thanks - that is what I concluded aswell.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:03 am

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 am

What's Burnsie weigh?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:45 pm

interesting but without photos or especially video footage essentially meaningless.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:11 pm

steve shearer wrote:
interesting but without photos or especially video footage essentially meaningless.
Talking of which Steve, do you still have those vids of Al the dentist and Shane Herring on McCoys around Lennox? Would love to see a McCoy being ridden by a competent surfer rather than a kook like me.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:33 pm

I had a Zap circa 1981/82. It was state of the art. It didn't have the drive of the newly invented thruster but in all other respects it was superior.

In all honesty though I'd characterise a Zap in 2012 as a nostalgia piece. That's not to say it wouldn't be a very good board but as a performance board it won't match modern thrusters and quads, and it won't be as forgiving as a Zot or Nugget.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
Talking of which Steve, do you still have those vids of Al the dentist and Shane Herring on McCoys around Lennox? Would love to see a McCoy being ridden by a competent surfer rather than a kook like me.
somewhere.....in amongst tubs of tapes.

I'll get to them someday.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASEp0PPo ... plpp_video

This guy also has some interviews with Geoff in his other vids - one of which is Geoff explaining why converting one of his singles to quad/thruster wont work very well...

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 am

damo666 wrote:This guy also has some interviews with Geoff in his other vids - one of which is Geoff explaining why converting one of his singles to quad/thruster wont work very well...
Works well enough for me Damo, now I don't want to take those 4 fins out :cry: I liked it a lot as a single, but as a quad it has SO much more versatility. Still loves to hunt the barrel on those fast peaky beachbreak days, heaps more drive from the initial turn, but hell, Geoff don't like 'em.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:42 pm

No issues from me Morgan - I thought Geoffs reasoning was fairly solid but if it works and you like it, more power to ya.

I had been trolling this thread as I recently bought a 7foot nugget. Yes, a surftech! I have always wanted to try a McCoy, and this was too stupidly cheap to go past.

I've got a few boards with massively wide and thick tails (a sweet potato etc), but my god, the tail on the nugget looks ridiculously huge, and the 3 1/8 thickness scared me a little. As such I the first surf I really wasnt expecting much. How wrong was I?

Its easier to paddle than any board I have ever owned. Without exception. And that includes a few 9ft+ mals. Conversely it catches any lillte bump you paddle for. But most surprisingly, it actually turns pretty well. Despit the bulk it has easily more than enough 'performance' in it than my late 30's intermediate ability can muster.

I have had it out on a few head high days, and it gets into the wave sooooo early, comes off the bottom and top like a 6 footer (I have replaced the crappy plastic fins with some better FG ones), and is just pure fun. I'm a convert, and am now definitley looking for a real McCoy!

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

It's all good Damo - Sounds like you're having fun on that 7'0 surftech. If I snap / destroy or just wear out that Zot then I'll get a board designed as a quad from the ground up, probably an NPJ Quartet.

This is a vid that was posted on MagicSeaweed - Ian Brown on Nuggets in Indo.

http://youtu.be/edldI6PQVyY

The waves are a decent size but doesn't really show the board in and around the pocket, where Nuggets tend to shine IMHO. What it does show though is how back foot driven these boards are.