review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

old grom
Grommet

review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by old grom » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:09 pm

G'day fellow alternative surf craft freaks, thought I would share my thoughts on the ZOT - payback for all the great reviews etc that I have feasted on over the last year...

THE NEED
Due to my love of high volume short boards I have been devolping a Mccoy fetish. I have had a couple of Nuggets and an Indo semi gun from the man himself over the last few years - I love riding his boards - esp the Nuggs. My only issues with the Nuggets are: that in a thruster you can only get glasses on fins (sucks for travel and no room to change styles); they are very focussed on strong back foot surfing; and Geoff is a law unto himself, and unlike other shapers he is not really willing to make changes to his shapes - and I really want a NUG quad (he reports he does not want to fcuk the design). This makes it had for anal surf board geeks such as yours truely to experiment with changing the shape/fins/ on their boards.

Thus I was using a 6'10" Nug as my 80% board even though there were issues that I would like to have changed. This Nug was fantastic - esp in bigger surf; handled an decent Indo trip very well; and great for the blend of beachies and points I surf on the Sunny Coast. After a year on this Nug - I contacted Geoff seeking a new board that may be a bit looser, more flexible for my front foot style; and preferable with removable fins.

He replied that he had a new model (aug 2010) the Astron Zot - would be perfect for my needs - but was a single fin only shape - however making this move to a good single would blow me away. He suggested a 6'8" as the Zot is wider than the Nug - and that this would be great on anything up to 4foot (old school).

This got me thinking and thinking...and while I was not sold on the single fin thing - I loved the shape and it seemed well suited to my needs. How I could get one?
Only issue was that I was over my years board allowance (which is very strictly policed - for my own good??) - the only solution was to flog my 6'10""Nug to a mate (with a sell back clause should he want to move it on) - plus I have a 7'2" Nug for big days, so I convinved myself this would make more "Quiver Sense" - and then quickly placed an order.

The Board
Standard Astron Zot - typically strong glass job - 6'8" x 22" X 3 & 1/8th" .

To give an idea of the outline - its set next to my 6'10'' Nug and an older more standard 19.5" Mccoy shape.

Despite being wide & thick , throughout - the Mccoys are not ironing board flat like lots of fish style - one of the things I love about the Mccoys is that they have a good nose rocker to make steep drops easy. Anyone who has surfed Mccoys knows how sweet they take a drop.

The single fin was pretty new to me (last single was an old Hot Stuff when 18 - one I should have kept...). On an earlier picture you will see the original gull wing - I snapped this on a rock on my third surf and have since tried a couple of alternatives - my favourate of which is the wave grinder shown:

THE RIDE.

The ZOT takes a while to get used to - I have waited for 3 months to review. I do not find it as versitile as the Nuggets - which can be a one board quiver. It goes well on my forehand - paddles in very easily takes the drop well and just sucks on the face - the steeper the better. While it is far from ''high performance'' it turns with great flow and kicks out a lovely spray. It is very moneverable - and I know its funny seeing its so wide - but somtimes it goes like a greased pig and you have to hang on.. but its just the best feeling.

It is my alltime fav. board on small days - you get in early and the thing just makes speed and flys.. the volume, thick round rails and single fin = speed. Like most high volume short boards you dont have to pump to generate speed - rather just glide between section - picking up the power pockets from the wave.

Unlike the NUG - I dont feel as comfortable when the size gets up (its my board of choice for faces up to about 8 ft - a bit over head); and I also struggle on my backhand. I think this backside weakness may be to do with the single fin as my quads and thrusters just seem to have more control as I turn back up the face after a drop - where as on my front side I like this loss of stability as I am more able?

THE FINS

I have tried a couple of fins: the original gull wing went well - but had it too short to be conclusive. Swapped to a standard wide dolphin style fin: the board changed completly - lots of hold - very stiff an great for a big drop - but lost the greased pig feel that I love about the ZOT - and no quick turns or direction changes.

Moved to the Wavegrinder fin: see below blurb that sucked me in:

Combining NASA-proven winglet technology with sailing's America's Cup-proven hydrodynamics principles, the WavegrinderTM surfboard fin (patent 7244157) helps surfers surf faster, for longer, and catch more waves.

Existing surfboard fins use 1950s technology that has evolved little. But the CAD-designed, USA-made Wavegrinder fin uses a proven NACA foil combined with proven NASA winglet technology in a high-aspect-ratio, low-sweepback angle, short-root profile fin that has a small-surface-area shape that nonetheless creates high lift with low drag over a wide range of angles of attack.

Blah Blah blah.... but it got my $60 - overall its a very upright winged fin:

The idea is the wings make it very fast - and as its upright it turns easily. Google it on the web and You Tube - lots of stuff. Overall I really like it and have used it for two months.

I am spun out how the fin change completly changes this board. I may be doing injustice in this review due to using a different fin. But it has place in my quiver as my small to med board and I love it. It may not be as high performance as some boards I have had - but its about as much fun to surf as anything. Its funny Geoff calls this his all-rounder - where as for me thats the Nugs - I am looking forward to seeing what better surfers than me make of it - but for me its a perfect small wave magic carpet. It gets me on early and frigging flies - allowing a great smoothglide as you explore the face.

I plan to buy another gull wing off Mccoy and will update my rewiew after a couple of months on this. Now If I could only get one shaped as a quad....

Overall this board is a keeper - but my search for the perfect high volume short board continues - OG

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by WANDERER » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Nice one OG.

I'm of the opinion that far too many median level surfers (nothing to do with you OG) waste their time on thin high performance shapes that they don't have the skills nor the experiences to utilise them to their full effect. My suggestion to guys who don't get out as often as they'd like or aren't at a skill / fitness / experience level that is befitting of 'high performance' pocket wafers is go fat, go wide and if need be add a bit of length - what you may/will lose in sensitivity you'll gain in ease of surfing, getting more out of your precious surf time. I find this stuff particularly important now that I've returned from OS and can see just how bad east coast waves can be! we sure do surf a lot of pus in between the good days, the board should fit the requirements of the surf IMO, having a board that's awesome in good waves can be excruciatingly painful when you try and get it to work in the slop and it's hard for some to understand that it's not their fault, it's not the surfs fault, it's the boards fault!! every east coast surfer should have at least 2 boards at the ready for rotation, 1 for everyday crap, 1 for the goodstuff and if you do wanna ride just one board make it the "1 for everyday crap" not the other one!! So obvious yet so clearly ignored by too many.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Really agree but I find it hard to warm to McCoy shapes. I think its the back foot bias.
I can kind of imagine them being good on my backhand. Then again I like my carver.
I really wish McTavish and McCoy would develop a more descrete logo.
Not everyone wants to carry a billboard down the beach.
Its not like no one would recognise them without a giant logo anyway.
They aren't the average looking board.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 pm

WANDERER wrote:Nice one OG.

I'm of the opinion that far too many median level surfers (nothing to do with you OG) waste their time on thin high performance shapes that they don't have the skills nor the experiences to utilise them to their full effect. My suggestion to guys who don't get out as often as they'd like or aren't at a skill / fitness / experience level that is befitting of 'high performance' pocket wafers is go fat, go wide and if need be add a bit of length - what you may/will lose in sensitivity you'll gain in ease of surfing, getting more out of your precious surf time. I find this stuff particularly important now that I've returned from OS and can see just how bad east coast waves can be! we sure do surf a lot of pus in between the good days, the board should fit the requirements of the surf IMO, having a board that's awesome in good waves can be excruciatingly painful when you try and get it to work in the slop and it's hard for some to understand that it's not their fault, it's not the surfs fault, it's the boards fault!! every east coast surfer should have at least 2 boards at the ready for rotation, 1 for everyday crap, 1 for the goodstuff and if you do wanna ride just one board make it the "1 for everyday crap" not the other one!! So obvious yet so clearly ignored by too many.
Whilst I appreciate your reply and input Wands.. I need to make the following points.
I am 40 and managed to surf 8 ft surf in San Diego on a 6 ft hi performance board.. I have surfed since I was 12 yrs old and whilst I am no pro I used to compete so in my opinion its horses for courses.. You cant give advice to someone on the web mate because everyone is different...

I also surf the same board in 2 foot sydney and it goes well and whilst I only surf 2 or 3 times a week I would prefer to surf a good board rather than a boat.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 am

mmm this board is right up my alley!. Sounds fun. I have a wavegrinder fin too, bloody fast and free hahah.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:36 am

Great post

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 am

WANDERER wrote: I'm of the opinion that far too many median level surfers (nothing to do with you OG) waste their time on thin high performance shapes that they don't have the skills nor the experiences to utilise them to their full effect. My suggestion to guys who don't get out as often as they'd like or aren't at a skill / fitness / experience level that is befitting of 'high performance' pocket wafers is go fat, go wide and if need be add a bit of length
jimmy1501 wrote:I have surfed since I was 12 yrs old and whilst I am no pro I used to compete so in my opinion its horses for courses..
jimmy1501 wrote:I only surf 2 or 3 times a week
Jimmy, I don't think you're in the demographic that Wanderer was talking about.

I probably am, I only got back into standup surfing 5 years ago, and recently I've only been out every couple of weeks.

I was interested in McCoy shapes for a while, being fairly weighted towards the back foot style. I swapped one with Topher about a year ago to satisfy my curiosity, an 6'6" interchange nugget.
It's also a single, though I learnt on longboards and singles so that isn't such a big deal. the amount of foam also makes it a pretty user-friendly single.

It's a different feel to most other boards, with the convex bottom and soft rails. It isn't the sort of board that a high performance surfer would be likely to enjoy, because it doesn't give much feedback and the turns kind of 'roll' instead of bank.
Ultimately, while it was a fun experiment, it probably isn't the board for me. Partly because it's way too big, I should be on about a 6'0" at most.
But there is definitely some interesting stuff going on. In decent shaped waves, it feels like the board is trying to position itself properly on the wave face, it kind of gets sucked up into the pocket, and gets more fun the faster you go.
My success rate in barrels is pretty low, but this board seems to drive through them by itself, taking a high line.
It also works really well in those high tide sessions where the swell is in between the banks, you can link it through the fat section.
I've only had it in 3 foot waves so far, but I'd love to get it on a big day on a break like Green Island.

each to their own, but there is some merit in the design.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 am

jimmy1501 wrote: Whilst I appreciate your reply and input Wands.. I need to make the following points.
I am 40 and managed to surf 8 ft surf in San Diego on a 6 ft hi performance board.. I have surfed since I was 12 yrs old and whilst I am no pro I used to compete so in my opinion its horses for courses.. You cant give advice to someone on the web mate because everyone is different...

I also surf the same board in 2 foot sydney and it goes well and whilst I only surf 2 or 3 times a week I would prefer to surf a good board rather than a boat.
Firstly, I don't give a fark what you appreciate and don't appreciate, I'll put my opinions forward and expect people to take them with a grain of salt, this is an internet forum FFS. Here it is douche; NOBODY REALLY GIVES A TOSS WHAT YOU APPRECIATE OR DON'T APPRECIATE.

Ooh you're 40 and a wee farking ripper who's surfed since 12 years old and recently surfed 8 foot san diego on a potato chip and whats this? "whilst I am no pro I used to compete" - WELL WHOOP DE FARCKING DOO!! I'm going to assume that removes you from the core of the group I was hoping to address with my post - but thanks for taking the time to inform the world how farking awesome you are - WE REAAAALLLY APPRECIATE IT!!
jimmy1501 wrote: You cant give advice to someone on the web mate because everyone is different...
Woah, yes I bloody well can... and I will as well, I beleive it is sound advice and will have to trust that the people who chose to consider it will do so in a responsible manner.
Yes, everyone is different, it will most likely take a variety of peoples opinions and input for the uninitiated to form an opinion of their own, precisely the reason why internet forums are the right place to give advice and why I encourage a wide range of opinions in the face of people like you who wish to discount other peoples views whilst trumpeting your own perspectives.

Dopey farking parrot.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 am

^^^^^^ Never said I was awesome fcuk face.. Just putting forward my perspective..
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 am

alakaboo wrote: Jimmy, I don't think you're in the demographic that Wanderer was talking about.
$$$$$Ka-Ching-Ga!!$$$$$$

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Image + Image

:arrow:

some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm

I vote that YES, it is possible to give someone advice on the interweb. :|

Which means I'm going with Wands on this one.

Jimmy, c'mon man, nobody likes a no-it-all. :?

Except Oldman of course. :D

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Damage wrote:I vote that YES, it is possible to give someone advice on the interweb. :|
you mean a know-it-all? :lol:
Had to beat Olds to it...

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Damage wrote:I vote that YES, it is possible to give someone advice on the interweb. :|

Fair call.. I am retreating with tail firmly placed between legs.. :oops:
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Sounds like a fun board! Stop whining, all of you! Surfboards are as personal as dance moves, who cares how other people like to dance or what style?

I'd love to have a try of an Astron Zot or a Nugget but in a tiny package, like 5'6" or something like that. I can imagine it still having a lot of the properties people like, but be far easier to turn with the shorter rail line and lower swing weight.

Too many boards to try, it can develop problems in people...haha
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:

Fair call.. I am retreating with tail firmly placed between legs.. :oops:
NO ... NO ... DON'T RETREAT ... :cry:

Its time to bring out the big guns and hit him with a foam-ball thingy ... :D
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I am a big fan of the nuggets and have ridden a number of them. My fav is my 5'8 all rounder. I rode it almost exclusively for twelve months and it goes great in a number of conditions. It loves a sucky wave - the soft rail and loaded dome do their magic well. Came close to getting a zot but ended up going with the new lazer zap geoff brought out - wasn't my cup of tea at all and has since left the quiver. Like Captain said - i'd goa 5'6 Zot - but with a mini-simmons and the nugget, i'm sorted for the smaller stuff....Am a fan of the smaller boards Geoff does though - man do they have some foam in them!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

alakaboo wrote:
you mean a know-it-all? :lol:
Had to beat Olds to it...
Beautiful! :lol: :lol: Now I see the relevance of your post about the spelling police getting stuck in.

I think Wands was just stating accepted historical fact, wasn't he? Certainly the low volume banana boards that they were pumping out in the early 90's were useless to pretty much everyone who wasn't a pro surfer.

Ric-Vidal's advice to me was simple enough - foam is your friend. He was right.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.