review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:33 am

horrible.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:15 pm

that indo footage doesnt show how a REAL mCoy would go in those waves as that guy travels with the 6/6..7/0 and 7/6 surftech nuggets.too light for the grunt on offer.IF he had real mCoys he would surf those waves a lot better.chalk and cheese, between poxy and the real thing!
IF, GM offered detachable multifinned boards IB would have surfed a lot better! BUT!.....hes a team rider(free tshirts)so he toes the GM line :roll:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I doubt putting him on poly McCoys (with or without detachable fins) would improve his style.
(geek)
Actually are you sure they are (any and all) Surftechs?
Sure it says on the McCoy website he likes the Surftechs to travel with but they don't look like the ones on the Surftech website.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Apparently Cheyne Horan doesn't mind the Surftech nuggets!
BTW there's a bit of a sale going on at McCoy (Byron) atm.
:)
Hey Steve,
I know you've got a trusty 8' McCoy in your quiver.
Are there any rippers on McCoys down at the OX?
Asking because the mantra is "when it's barreling you'll be laughing" and Lennox has no shortage of barrels (when it's on I mean).
Only a rat can win the rat race.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 pm

No "rippers"....few older blokes.....Ian Brown comes down and makes a pest of himself..

Al the dentist has a good quiver and knows how to ride the tube at the point.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:46 am

Cuttlefish wrote:I doubt putting him on poly McCoys (with or without detachable fins) would improve his style.
(geek)
Actually are you sure they are (any and all) Surftechs?
Sure it says on the McCoy website he likes the Surftechs to travel with but they don't look like the ones on the Surftech website.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Apparently Cheyne Horan doesn't mind the Surftech nuggets!
BTW there's a bit of a sale going on at McCoy (Byron) atm.
:)
Hey Steve,
I know you've got a trusty 8' McCoy in your quiver.
Are there any rippers on McCoys down at the OX?
Asking because the mantra is "when it's barreling you'll be laughing" and Lennox has no shortage of barrels (when it's on I mean).
Hey pete, i wonder the same thing. McCoy lovers swear they go better in more hollow waves, you'd think there'd be some decent footage. As a foam lover, i've always been interested in them, though up close they are seriously beefy. Well proportioned though, and really, they still follow the same general rule of wider tail than nose, more thickness in the back half, so no wonder they catch waves so good, and are manouverable.

One thing i do notice, is that 2nd hand nuggets on evilbay A) Go quickly, and B) go for decent money, so there are definately people who love how they surf. One day i'll get to try one out!!.

I do notice that they seem to surf on top of the water, which seems a bit odd to me. Im no ripper by any means, but i like to at least try to get my rail buried through turns, so it might be a weird feeling.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:It's all good Damo - Sounds like you're having fun on that 7'0 surftech. If I snap / destroy or just wear out that Zot then I'll get a board designed as a quad from the ground up, probably an NPJ Quartet.

This is a vid that was posted on MagicSeaweed - Ian Brown on Nuggets in Indo.

http://youtu.be/edldI6PQVyY

The waves are a decent size but doesn't really show the board in and around the pocket, where Nuggets tend to shine IMHO. What it does show though is how back foot driven these boards are.
Thanks for posting Morgan....I only managed to watch 55 seconds though. the board looks way too big, if it was 5'6 with that width and thickness, it might be an improvement. It was a decent enough wave but he wasn't able to bury the rail at all.

If you get a NPJ quartet, please post a ride report and pics. They look really noooice and his fins look beautiful as well.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:05 am

Kinda left me a little cold, that clip... I feel bad for saying it and I'm sure much fun was had, but a harsh critic may say there was a lot of effort for not a lot of reward.

The board didn't project out on to the face much at all and while there were few barrels on offer, there was a lot of nice sections for some top turns and carves...

A good 6ft quad fish would have been in it's element on that wave - fade, delay,relax and let the rail run out onto the face

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:57 pm

the major contributing factor to how those nuggets performed in those waves is the weight, IB posts over on facebook and states he travels with the 6/6..7/0 and 7/6 surftechs.the yellow is the 7/0 its a good board in weak waves.the white with the yellow stripe down the middle is the 7/6.both are the old original paint jobs that are no longer available. ive owned the 7/0 and 7/6, the latter is a great alternative to a longboard.IF, he was riding weighty nuggets i'm sure that his performance would have been much better.SURFTECHS dont suit grunty waves.strong offshores hold them up the face, any chop destroys their momentum, whereas the weight of a 2x6and 1x6 doesnt have problems with either.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:37 am

surfywurfy wrote:that indo footage doesnt show how a REAL mCoy would go in those waves as that guy travels with the 6/6..7/0 and 7/6 surftech nuggets.too light for the grunt on offer.IF he had real mCoys he would surf those waves a lot better.chalk and cheese, between poxy and the real thing!
IF, GM offered detachable multifinned boards IB would have surfed a lot better! BUT!.....hes a team rider(free tshirts)so he toes the GM line :roll:
What GM line is he towing?
The face GM puts on for the world is on his website.
Don't see him flogging Surftechs on there.
See him espousing his poly shapes.
As opposed to say, McTavish which has the GSI models easily found on his site.
Don't get me wrong though.
I don't begrudge GM for selling boards he doesn't have to mow by hand.
Leaves him fresher to make customs for discerning surfers...he's only got so many shaping years left in him.
The bit I didn't like about the Indo clip was IB's hand jive style.
Would have loved a piece of those waves...I'm getting older every day. :wink:

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am

Interesting clip. Confirms some of the issues with these boards i think. I just got back from Tahiti. I took a 5'11, 20, 3 nugget and surfed it a few different spots, the best being at 8ft vairao. The nugget did what it was supposed to in the barreling conditions. It found the pocket and stuck there and as a result, i had some really excellent deep barrels. The loaded dome does shine in the nasty late takeoffs over shallow reef - the board just sticks like glue down the face of the wave. And that's why i like McCoy's - it gives your surfing a very specific feeling. It finds the high line and sticks. I think all those curves work really well in big barreling waves.
But in conditions like that clip, i'm not convinced they are a great choice. And i had a bit of that sort of stuff too in Tahiti. Board lags on sharper turns and just isn't that responsive when trying hitting the massive rail. Imo it has to do with the volume. My board is 3inches to the rail - it could float someone at 100kg, no doubt.

I've had quite a few McCoy's over the years - the best being a 5'8 nugget which went well from 2-6ft and felt responsive (shouldn't have sold it). The worst being a new lazor zap, which i could never figure out and surfed like a bloated tampon. The issue is trying to find the balance in foam and size. I think Geoff's boards are for a very specific surfer and that can depend on age, ability and what you like in surfing. I reckon my optimum would be either a 5'4, 19, 2 3/8 nugget or a splinter in longer dims. That said - i'm not sure he would make a board at those dims. Geoff has his thing and sticks with it and it usually operates around volume.

Still not decided whether i'll keep it or not. Will give it another burl in some meaty waves and see if those turns improve.

As a point of reference i also rode a tomo v4 5'4 - no problems with turning. :lol: It was really interesting comparing the two in terms of performance - both shapers are fairly adamant about what works in surfcraft.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am

GM is deadset against detachable fins EXCEPT if its one of his singles, which are convenient to insert but thats all.so being a team rider ian has to travel with glassed on fins OR surftechs.he has plenty of glass mcoys, singles and glassed on thrusters.GM dont mow much foam these days either, blanks are profiled b4 he "hand shapes".Cutty, checkout the forum on Swellnet(the shaping bay) and the 2 recent Utoob things that Gm has done.one with IB, the other about poor deluded fools :lol:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Got a link for them?
I called the McCoy (outlet) shop in Byron today to quizz them about what they had in my size range since they've got a sale on.
The vultures have already picked the meat off the bones and so bugger all left.
There was indeed a splinter available.
I'm interested in the lines of the classic pintail model No 4 in the retro range.
Now that looks like a great board for a firing point wave.
http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/v1/compo ... ro-designs

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 pm

[quote="Cuttlefish"]Got a link for them?
I called the McCoy (outlet) shop in Byron today to quizz them about what they had in my size range since they've got a sale on.
The vultures have already picked the meat off the bones and so bugger all left.
There was indeed a splinter available.
I'm interested in the lines of the classic pintail model No 4 in the retro range.
Now that looks like a great board for a firing point wave.
http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/v1/compo ... 109-retro-"

Can you ask GM if he ll do it in a quad for you :mrgreen:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Oh! What size on the splinter Pete?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiGNBnvMro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmpKZKB5 ... ure=relmfu

hey, i wonder if GM favours the Mckee placement or out on the rails for his quads? :lol:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm

batoes wrote:Oh! What size on the splinter Pete?
It was either a 6' or a 6'2".

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks mate - might be my final McCoy attempt :)
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

No luck, no splinter - was it an interchange nugget? Can't afford another board anyway :D
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.