review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by buzzy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 am

You're being a bit harsh on old IB there I reckon. Definitely not pro-level ripping but not bad surfing. The multi mini turns were a bit annoying though, I agree.

But I think that vid kind of supports what most people say about the McCoys. When the wave had a bit more shape IB was noticeably travelling faster across the wave, and his surfing got a bit more top to bottom. By contrast when the wave was crumbly he seemed to be struggling for momentum and his surfing developed a million mini pumps for speed.

The other thing I felt the vid supported was that McCoys are "in the pocket" boards. I felt his surfing looked a lot better when the pace of the wave backed off and he could work the pocket more. When it was a long racy wall though his surfing looked much less fluid. A quad in particular would have been a much better set up, in my opinion, for a lot of those racy walls.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 am

Yes, a quad with the heavy glass job would've been the ideal board for those waves,NOT a series of feather light thrusters! :lol:

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:33 am

IB is definitely having a good time....

Now, serious question. On such a back foot design, why, why would you ride a longer board, especially on those offshore days?

If you're foot is firmly planted over the fins, then even a big guy would have trouble using ALL that rail on say a 7'6. It would have to be a hindrance rather than a help surely? And then having ALL that board in front of you that you're not using?

A good case for going shorter and possibly wider to get the planing speed?

Enlighten me please!!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:37 am

paddle power
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Succinct.

wilco

Post by wilco » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:55 am

Hi Kiwi's

In a few weeks i'll be roadtripping in New Zealand for 5 weeks (Taranaki, Raglan, Piha etc). If someone is selling a singlefin nugget or astron zot please shoot me a mail ([email protected]). I'll be happy to meet!

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Wilco
Holland

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:26 pm

I've been contemplating selling my single fin nugget for some time but just haven't got around to putting it on ebay. It's 6'6" x 20" x 2.75" in good nick with a couple of minor dings sealed by me with sun cure resin, and the usual deck indentations. Overall its a good board though in good nick.

Anyway, if you're coming through Sydney I'd be interested in selling it. If not I'll put it on ebay...eventually!

wilco

Post by wilco » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:34 am

Hola Buzzy,

Thanks for the offer but no time to shop in Sydney. Good luck on ebay!!

Wilco

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 pm

I saw something very interesting today: An original McCoy Quad board! :P

The board looks much like a Lazor Zap, but has 4 fins. There are no signs that it has been modified, but I could see no writing near the stringer to say who the shaper was.

It's in the Surf Museum in Currumbin.

Unfortunately there was no explanatory label on the board and I could so far not find out any background to this interesting board.
Photo0130cropped.jpg
Photo0128cropped.jpg
Does anyone here know any more about this? Has Geoff been shaping quads at some stage?

:?: :?: :?:

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:13 am

You may have just uncovered the holy grail.

Saint Indy Kayu please let us mow more. I'm fascinated.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 am

Glamarama wrote:You may have just uncovered the holy grail.

Saint Indy Kayu please let us mow more. I'm fascinated.
The volunteer staff at the museum told me that the boards are all owned by one person and gave me the phone number to make enquiries. I've sent a text message asking if I could call for more information.

The boards do apparently get swapped over a fair bit, because the museum only holds a part of this private board collection. So if you are on the Gold Coast (Oz), go have a look soon. Lots of other interesting surfboards there, too.

I hope the owner of the board will get back to me about it.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:30 am

interesting a mccoy quad, theres been a discussion on swellnet about modifying mccoys to quads, having a read of that i doubt its a original fin setup ..

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:54 pm

the infinity logo looks like one from 84/5 when the brief first quad era occurred....OR it may be a TRI _zap thats had the thruster fin taken off and the trail quads added.GM reckons that anyone who rides his designs as s :D QUAD is a "ignorant fool"....im glad i fall into that category because they go much better than his thrusters and are miles ahead of his singles :D

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I think the board was made with this fin configuration, not modified later.

The larger side fins at the front are too large for a thruster and the smaller rear fins are too far back for a thruster.
I could not see any signs over the stringer where a centre fin (or box) would have been removed.

My guess is that Geoff or one of the other McCoy shapers did some experimenting a few decades ago.

Maybe Geoff's opposition to quads is based on actual experiments.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:21 pm

I gave the owner of the board a call and he told me that he bought the board in America, probably sometime in the 80's.
He does not know who shaped it.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:37 pm

MrMik wrote:

Maybe Geoff's opposition to quads is based on actual experiments.
Commonsense dictates this to be quite an accurate assumption MrMik..........there would be very few design aspects , that were not fully explored and understood by designers of Geoff's calibre and longevity in the industry......Contrary to how some people perceive GMc , he is as open minded as they come to all aspects of design , and does not dismiss any surfboard design without fully explaining why , and fully understanding the intricate characteristics of any design he chooses to talk about.........I know who owns that Mcoy quad......I'll see what I can find out about it.......

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:15 am

kayu wrote:.....I know who owns that Mcoy quad......I'll see what I can find out about it.......
Any news?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:10 pm

......the guy called in to the workshop a few weeks back , but I forgot to ask.. :oops: .........busy times here Mik.....I catch him soon.