review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by buzzy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm

I' m not THAT bad a paddler! ;)

Aside from yesterday I hadn't used the Powerglide in at least 6 months. There's a lot of crossover in capacity between a Waterskate and Powerglide when it comes to small waves and I've typically just used the Waterskate.

I definitely don't see the two boards (Zot and powerglide) as synonymous...I'd just want them to target the same conditions. You're right that I should take the nugget out for a spin again, which will give me a good guide. I also reckon my 6'9" Waterskate is another good guide. All similar in the sense they are egg shaped high volume boards (but different in many important respects). So what I'm doing is replacing my Waterskate with a foamed up Vskate (6'7") as my all round board. I now want something more foamed up than the Waterskate but less long and stiff than the Powerglide for small days when a fat guy on a shortboard needs more foam. I used to use the nugget in those conditions and loved it, but I'm just too fat for it in those sorts of waves. In waves where there is a little power it comes into its own but I want a more conventional drivey feel in those conditions, not the loose, rolly feel a McCoy tends to offer. In tiny conditions though that rolly feel I love.

I'm ready for an Ebay episode. Lots of boards and skis etc getting a run over the next month or so.

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:34 pm

old grom wrote:Will the Astron zot allow me to do a decent bottom turn/top turn combo, Astron zot owners?
Hell yes - no problems the ZOT turns well off both top and bottom - It never catches and the only limitation is you need a bit of speed - but the ZOT like to fly..
buzzy wrote:I know the zap will do it. It will also allow the top turn to be an on rail gouge across the lip if executed on a slightly slopier wall. If only the zap had a wider nose like the zot to allow less crucial foot placement.
I think the ZAP is a harder weapon to surf - Geoff told me its for very good surfers - Kookster seems to be loving it - but his reports sorf of confirm this.

Its not that the ZOT is a kook board - but it is very forgiving - more so than the nugs - which insist on back foot placement to go their best - That one of the reasons I like the ZOT shape.
buzzy wrote:The fat bullets...I've tried a 6'4" first off and found it went well but as Old grom (his is 6'6") said was outpaddled or missed waves all on my own with it.
No matter went up to a 6'8" and still had the same outcome. Give up on that one.
I was sold on a 6' Astron zot as the size I would be comfortable on until I read Old grom's riding a 6'6" fat bullet.
Now I'd say a 6'3" could be the size.
I've been down the Miller track with a 6'8" waterskate which when it arrived was actually a v-skate. I got over that huge mistake by Grant and proceeded to ride it exclusively for 2 years.
etc etc etc

Man - Cuttle - what a epic story of persaverance - you have suffered on the quest for a perfect High Volume shorty...Dude I am on the Sunny Coast up the north end - with your history - please feel free to try my 6''8'' ZOT give you an idea if: a) the design is what you are after, singel fin and all; and b) the size. Even if you just have a go out the front in whatevers on offer - it will give you an idea. PM me if this would help. OG

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 pm

I'd like it to be known I am NOT a good surfer. I can hold my own, but I would say I'm average at best (I make up for lack of ability with stupidity and wilingness to get pounded). I would be well down the order if not for the McCoys' ability to paddle in early and get around the chargers. Thing is, once I'm up and surfing it doesn't matter how bad I'm going because they are still in the line-up and that's what matters to me :-)

OG I'm at Warana, if you want a run on my 6'4 Zap let me know. It's not really a one or two surf board but you'll get the feel at least. Would love a run on your Zot although I've never ridden a single (ever) so that'd be funny to watch.
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 pm

I surfed an original Zap back in the early 80's. Loved it. My favourite board for that era. Everyone gave me loads of shit about it at the time but it was the most borrowed board on our beach. It was borrowed to death when a mate forget to tie it down on his roof racks on a trip to Longy and the board unsurprisingly came off, smashing the nose. I replaced it with a standard thruster which went half as well. I'd surfed a few McCoys before that...they were THE name of that era (ie just before thrusters) and loved them, and the Zap was similar. People incl Cheyne just got stupid short on them which made them look even more ridiculous and no one in surfer conform land wants to stand out!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:32 pm

old grom wrote:But I have no illusions about aging - its the high volume that keeps me on shorter boards - I be f#*%ced if I am going to give this away to get loads shorter and more"performance"'. I come from a short board backgroung and dont enjoy surfing longboards anywhere near as much - its well designed high volume that will keep me on fairly short boards.
Same, old grom, although not the same passion. I've lost my genuine passion years ago but I think concentrating on surf trips is a great idea, and I still love getting away with a few surfing buddies. It has to be special.

Stayed with short boards. I still have a mini-mal which I am selling (anyone?) but I don't want to go the way of the longboard. It's different, and at this stage just doesn't seem to have the attraction to me.

The good thing about getting older is hopefully that you have acquired some knowledge of what works for you, and a well designed higher volume shortboard will make it easier to stay on a short board.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:40 pm

You guys looking for snaps as well as paddle power should look at the merrick biscuit type of board, and I'm willing to lend my 6'2"x211/12x3" to anyone in the area if yur interested. Check utube for footage of these things doing the do. Nothing against Geoffs boards, I just like a modern bottom in a traditional shape and rocker, thruster too. My biggest issue with Geoff's dome is that it will not like being pumped or forced onto a fat wave, in fact it bogs in this situation. The single into double then v bottom does'nt mind it and will turn in the pocket with the standard Greenough fin. I'm 54 and weigh 69kg and average surfer.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm

How's the biscuit handle steep drops?
That's one area where McCoy has good nose rocker to handle it.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Chillin wrote:. I'm 54 and weigh 69kg and average surfer.
Damn - there was me thinking you were early 20s, blonde hair, goofyfoot... :lol:

I get the impression the Biscuit you ride is a single? I've only seen them as tri fins.

With you on the bottom shape, too. However, I was going to get a single fin Potbelly shaped by Geoff a while back that was just going to be for the micro mush stuff we often get in summer here, but I couldn't afford it at the time unfortunately.. He said he would probably flatten the dome and the rocker out quite considerably and leave a longer edge on the rail in the back of the board. Sounded like it would make sense, but never got the chance to try.

Which brings me onto the comparison between the Zot and the Potbelly; presuming you were comparing single fin versions of each, where would the differences lie? Just a bit more width on the Zot maybe?

happyoldhippy

Post by happyoldhippy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm

really enjoying the thread...
picked up a AZot in Byron back in December.... from the first session, I was stoked again like I haven't been for many moons... that was in a small glassy surf on the sunny coast. every week, I can't wait to get back on it!

most of my boards since about 84 have been thrusters, but the 'old faithful' was a 7'3" McGrigor single fin, shaped by Ian Goodacre. (this one finally died after suffering severe foam collapse RIP)

the Zot is 6'8" x 22" x 3" using a gullwing fin.... best board ever - no question! I'm 63 in September, weigh 78 kg and I'm 6' and.... feeling like a kid again.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:13 am

Ooooh im getting super keen!. You guys are gunna get me in trouble with the missus!!. Zot sounds awesome for a lot of the waves i surf. I like the zot, or maybe the potbelly.

Great thread guys, keep it going!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:56 am

Beerfan wrote:Ooooh im getting super keen!. You guys are gunna get me in trouble with the missus!!. Zot sounds awesome for a lot of the waves i surf. I like the zot, or maybe the potbelly.

Great thread guys, keep it going!
NO!
You're birthday has been and gone!
You have to wait until next year now!
:lol:
Happy Birthday Amigo!

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 am

haa theres no wannabees going to get geoffs shapes right :)
just get him to do the work :idea: fking easy

cheers huie

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 am

I don't know of anyone trying to replicate Geoff's shapes in Australia????? :?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:36 am

Cuttlefish wrote:I don't know of anyone trying to replicate Geoff's shapes in Australia????? :?
oh sorry did not realise you r take on everything was the definitive :lol:
i guess i got it mixed up with wannabies copying the plan shape :roll:
to much copying going on :twisted:
by the way noel is a freind and hes position is very different its the wannabies i am refering to get it :?:

cheers huie

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:01 pm

I'll go out on a limb here and say that most of us realise that if you want a real McCoy you get a real McCoy.
I know that's what I did.
There's plenty of shapers starting to make wider and or thicker boards but still Geoff is the "King" of thickness and it's distribution, rocker that works in a wide range of conditions, wide tails and boxy rails (not even mentioning the loaded dome) when it's comes to sub 8'ers in Australia.
Hence the enthusiasm coming from McCoy riders and the high level of interest shown by those thinking about trying one.
A look through my local surfshops shows racks of wafers in comparison to geoff's shapes (as noted by Kookster in the past).

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:I don't know of anyone trying to replicate Geoff's shapes in Australia????? :?
actually I beleive Mick Carabine from down the Illawarra does quite a few 'nuggets'

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Well there you go! :shock:
I should get out more....Nah! stuff it my travelling days are done!
Lived out of a backpack for 11 years.
Suprised Beery's never mentioned him.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I have seen the carabine nuggets. They are nugget like, but not really a copy. Bottom, rails, planshape, and width are a little different. A high volume shortboard shape, but have never ridden one.

Planshape would be the most common factor, but even then, he told me the tails aren't as wide and have a slightly different shape, and the rails aren't as boxy. Bottom im not sure but im 100% its not the dome. All i can remember, it was a while ago.

Cheers pete, older by another year!

P.S of all the surf shops here, his is probably the only one that smells of resin!! I would say he has been making boards a lot longer than i've been alive.