review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

old grom
Grommet

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by old grom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:53 pm

2 nd reef - thanks for sharing - very interesting (well for a total high volume short board fanatic like myself anyway :D )
Cuttlefish wrote:Hey Huie,
I've only got 4 boards.
Down to you last four... regardlsess I agree with Huie - total board slut... by the way your latest is frigging insane.
batoes wrote:Also, Geoff is shaping something new too - no info yet though....what will come after the astron zot?
Oh shit - I had better start saving again... any clues? If it has four fins I am putting in an order :shock:

Great shot of Mark - I took a 6' 10" Nug to Indo last year - these boards are solid as in that size. - OG

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Cuttle is a total board slut, and I am doing my best to aspire to his greatness :-)

Life's too short and your surfing years too limited not to keep changing things around and continually challenging your pre-conceptions and just getting new boards whenever you get enough coin or enough brownie points from your cook. If your next board is a mistake, f'k it, sell it and get another one.

Here's how I sell it to my missus.

1) A gym membership costs $600 or more a year. If I own four boards, and each one I turn over every 12 months for a $150 loss then it costs about the same. That's four new sticks per year to look forward to. Then add in a Chrissy Present and Birthday present and Father's Day present and you can have up to 7 boards turning over per year for the same expenditure. If you meet resistance start mentioning your haircuts cost $15 per month and hers cost $80. Then start on shoes, dresses and all that tripe they spend money. DON'T mention who earns the money as even if you had a team of barristers arguing this you will not win.

2) It's a lot cheaper than race cars, which is what I'd do if I wasn't surfing (and what I will be doing when I can't surf anymore). My ability to buy surfboards increased dramatically when my brother wanted to go halves in a circuit car, and how many weekends I'd be away etc etc etc.
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm hopeless, I have banned myself from any new purchases for a least a year. I have just shaped my first board and I hope its a dog so I dont get addicted. Side note I reckon it would be easy to become obsessed with design and shaping and not surfing as much....very dangerous.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Just found this... this guy is a many time South Aus champion and knows his McCoys - interesting comments

http://weddwould.blogspot.com/2010/07/unreal-mccoy.html
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Kookster - insteresting link ; after a year on the ZOT I can really understand his thoughts - if it was your only board. I really share his view that the single ZOT loves a right hand steep wall (I know all boards do - but I have several and its the ZOT that I love to grab for this purpose..) ; he seems to have turned his ZOT into a true allrounder by giving it the versitility of the thruster set up. in my case though I cannot see myself messing with the ZOT as intended as its a classic.

Somewhere I read some guy who did the same with his Mccoy single - but made then into a quad /single setup, and raved about this, not sure where (could have been in the saga that is this link...). We have got to have a surf sometime dude. Cheers OG

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:16 pm

I found this "little" gem on Ebay. McCoy nugget 5'8".
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
Apparently the owners after a better groveller so I offered to swap the brilliant board in the link below this with him if he sent me some extra cash.
He would need to pay freight for both boards before i'd let this board go though.
IT has the McCoy floatation, thickness and durability he's used to in a 5'6".
Sad sack reckons he didn't like the colour.
I explained to him the colour is now popular since Julian Wilson used it to promote feeling women's breasts.
Geez, there's no pleasing some people.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :MESELX:IT
Anyone else keen?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:18 pm

I think i was fairly clear in my reply that i'm just not man enough to ride a pink board cuttle - that is the sole reason i sold my mackie bonzer :lol:
But i appreciate the offer and as i've said if the board was in magenta - it would be a done deal.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:04 pm

:lol:
The ocean's gone flat and I've completely lost it. :wink:
That's a good looking nugget though!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 pm

batoes wrote:I think i was fairly clear in my reply that i'm just not man enough to ride a pink board cuttle - that is the sole reason i sold my mackie bonzer :lol:
But i appreciate the offer and as i've said if the board was in magenta - it would be a done deal.
You getting rid of the 5'8'' nugget?, what's replacing it mate? How's the youngun??

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Cuttlefish wrote::lol:
The ocean's gone flat and I've completely lost it. :wink:
That's a good looking nugget though!

Cuttles, "The Dumpling " ready this Friday mate, I need it for the Surfboard Swap Meet on Sunday but you can prob have it after that, you gunna make it down for a look ? keen to have a decent chat about fin options I want trialled too....back to the zot...

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh,
I'm ready. Bring on Friday!
Flat spell no problem as remembered I have a monster piece of 11'4" fibreglass suspended above the carpark which has not seen any action throughout April/May/June due to the glut of waves.
I've been paddling my sup (which makes a McCoy look anorexic in comparison) in the river.
Yes. Will come to swap allright.
Dumpling will be lucky not to be snaffled by some canny surfer at the swap.
Be there or be square hipsters. 8)
Wonder what the new mysto McCoy shape will be?
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm

little waves at A'lefts today, some shapely but small runners, might see ya tomoz for a paddle...
your fin is ready too 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Markets tomorrow. :(
Fin ready. :D

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey Beerfan - yeah i snapped my alien at minnos a few weeks back and now have to find some cash to fund a new one - and they ain't cheap, but a very nice board. Am i in absolute transition with surfboards at the moment - the only one staying is the dim-sim, the rest have all left the building and i am starting over. Will be keen to get another McCoy again at some point, i'm either thinking super silly short, 5'2 or so, or a step-up style board for the bigger days. But i'll just wait and see what gaps need filling as time goes on. Sad, as she has been an excellent board :)
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Mark - give us a run down on the Dumpling... what sizes are you thinking... sounds tasty :oops: OG

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:12 am

Hey OG,
Come to the swap meet at Da Bomb this Sunday am. :idea:
The dumpling will be steaming for all to fondle I hear. 8)
Remember the board I was talking to you about which you thought was gone. Have another look. It is still there. :wink:
Sausages will be sizzling courtesy of Alex mal club. :D
You can borrow my larger Spitfire fin to try in the zot. :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Hey mark that fin looks very familiar. May well have been mine, i sold it ( or one exactly like it ) on ebay a while ago. I don't think there'd be too many of those ( in red ) floating around oz. Whats it going in?? a zot?