are surftech boards any good??

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

funboarder

are surftech boards any good??

Post by funboarder » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:00 pm

Hi all, does anyone own or have ridden a surftech (epoxy) longboard? what is your opinion on them compared to a glass board? cheers

soulman
Grommet

Post by soulman » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:53 pm

I own a 9' Randy French HP Surftech. Compared to my handcrafted polyester/polyurethane boards, the Surftech is more bouyant for it's size, much lighter, stiffer, and responsive. It took me a few surfs to get used to the bouyancy when sinking a rail in a turn. But I've adjusted now. The whole feel of the board is really responsive- it feels like it's an 8 footer.

It's durability advantage is questionable. I've had mine for 3 months, and put a small dent in the deck behind the leash hole- probably from a wipeout. Its taken a moderate thrashing in dredging 6 foot DY and Kurrawa without snapping. However, I do know of the same model Surftech being axed by the same-sized waves and snapping. But then, a polyester board wouldn't have survived either. Push your thumbs into a Surtech and it definitely feels harder than a traditional glass job.

The shape, dimensions, and rail profiles are great for me. The quality is good- but not better than a handcrafted board. The pricing was pretty close to what I would've paid for a big-name polyester-glassed board.

The bottom line is- performance-wise, this is one of the best longboards I've had. :D

funboarder

Post by funboarder » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:15 am

thanks Soulman! I'll have to give one a test ride

Dicco
Grommet

Surfttech

Post by Dicco » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:58 pm

I also have a surftech that I bought in the US - yes its lighter and more bouyant, turns better than most Ive ridden BUT I would agree some observations that the boards are not as tough as the makers say
Mine split open at the front after hitting sand in a wipeout breaking both layers of glass, the PVC foam between and exposing the core
Cost a hellava lot to get the thing fixed - remember that epoxy has to be used to repair epoxy and yu cant take polyester anywhere near the styrene core.....
still if it was a polyester board the damage would have been much greater ... but easier to repair

dicco

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Re: are surftech boards any good??

Post by shaunmorrison » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:10 am

They'll never catch on

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:00 pm

gone are the halcyon days of RealSurf when users named 'soulman' claimed a surftech 9 foot longboard is the best longboard they've owned.

Cranked
Snowy McAllister

Post by Cranked » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:59 pm

shaunmorrison wrote:They'll never catch on
Yes, that's right, they are really for the more discerning surfer
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:44 pm

All the bull crap about them being hard to repair is just that.