Mini Simmons

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Longygrom
barnacle

Re: Mini Simmons

Post by Longygrom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 pm

steve shearer wrote:what: the mini-sims or the hulls?
Sorry i meant the mini-simmonds are better suited to Sydney. Kind of fun in beachies, more so then proper hulls.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Longygrom wrote:I was staying with his father, Mark while overseas. I think that is where Daniel would get his theories from, clearly they are onto something. Whether or not people accept them, they are hell bent on their ideas which i dont think is a bad thing.

His fathers surf mat is pretty insane. Super fast, super technical...all the theory into it makes me sick to think about.

http://www.kryptsurf.com/SURFMAT.htm
Just bought a mat after a big search on the net,it arrived today, suddenly I see several others are about great,the boogers are buggered now :lol: !
I used to surf little Av on one way back in the late sixties early seventies!
But circumstances as they are now probably most I'm likely to be the lowest on the foodchain. I'll have a good camera with for great water shots :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48 am

Longygrom wrote:I was staying with his father, Mark while overseas. I think that is where Daniel would get his theories from, clearly they are onto something. Whether or not people accept them, they are hell bent on their ideas which i dont think is a bad thing.

His fathers surf mat is pretty insane. Super fast, super technical...all the theory into it makes me sick to think about.

http://www.kryptsurf.com/SURFMAT.htm
That video looks super fun, hes going horribly fast on that thing its insane!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Dan Thomo has some pretty wild theories that he explains here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27ldD8zd8E

Isn't he just taking a horribly long winded way to explain the fact that when you increase the surface area of the tail in a surfboard (e.g. by going wider), the board floats better under your feet (i.e. generates lift?).

Anyone here versed in hydrodynamics enough to comment on his theories?
He lost me when he started talking about straight curves WTF the boards look interesting but some basic communication skills would help us understand what it's all about! :?
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:10 am

fully agree, I chatted with him at a fish-Fry and got the feeling he was really using big words to try and lose me, it worked and fast too....love his innovative ideas though.....I tested a carbon twinny thing, bout 5'8", wasnt for me ( like most super loose twinnys )but he rips on them , thats for sure....
might try a quaddy next time.....

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 am

The whole "going wider in the tail" theory is being used in a more modern sense in the Lost Rocket, AI Dumpster Diver, White Diamond, etc. Boards usually with very wide square tails or diamond tails.

Maybe thats a better modern adaptation of the theory?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 pm

I think I've found my next board...

http://hydrodynamica.blogspot.com/2010/ ... s-too.html

(waits....)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:25 pm

wow...bloody impressive surfing considering the square block of 3 ft foam and some pretty decent sized waves...and no fins... 8) :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:34 am

bit hard to comparea 3'8" square block foam to any board with any board especially one thats been designed to perform well at those shorter lengths imo, afterall its got no rocker, no fins, no rail foil or shape really, its better surfing than alot of guys do on a standard thruster with all the bells and whistles ( and fins )...very impressed...I reckon they've put in alot of hours to get that good on such a basic craft ...would like to see others attempt to ride one....could KS or other talented pros surf that thing as well I wonder ??? I dont think so, not without putting in alot of time anyway....makes ya realize how many different ways there are to riding a wave, and what makes a good surfer....( plenty will disagree with my thoughts here , but whats new ) :roll: 8) :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:17 am

yeah, agreed, sme as any footage I guess, its the good stuff thats been chosen to show how they can go,the 100 waves were they fell got edited out no doubt.... but I guess at least it shows what is possible, and ya right, they are ripping esp for the thing they are riding..... 8)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 am

to be honest, i'd be spending my time trying to figure out where there are waves that good, and setting plans in motion to move there, rather than learning to ride the unrideable boards

i dunno about the theory behind them either, the original text seems to be about the best planing surfaces towed behind a boat. leaving aside any other considerations, the towing rope provides upward lift on the nose of the board.

we've got one of those old surfaplane things they show in the first few minutes, and in no way is it a waveriding craft. unreal fun behind a boat though! :D

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:47 am

As far as I understand the theory, an efficient planing surface causes the least amount of disruption to the waters surface, creates more lift, has less drag, and as a result will generate a lot of its own speed regardless of the rider or waves power.

Still, to me it sounds like a very fancy way of saying that when you have a wide and flat tail you get more lift, and therefore carry more speed through turns.

I'd have to have a go of one to really get any idea, but so far the ride reports I have read are positive.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:06 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote: will generate a lot of its own speed regardless of the rider or waves power
you and lisa simpson should compare perpetual motion machines... :)

captain, there's a bourton simmons hull in the base shop at manly. if anywhere in sydney is worth trying it out, it's probably manly.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:23 pm

http://www.basesurfboards.com/news_detail/show/id/163 - A review of the Murray Bourton Mini Simmons

I think his version looks like a more modern snub-nose fish than a mini-sims. Isn't part of the planing hull theory a straighter outline in order to create more lift?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm

yeah, have to say that i only called it a simmons because that's what was written on the blank
i initially thought it was a kneeboard!

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:55 am

Mick Mackie mixing it up some more.

http://waveslide.blogspot.com/2010/07/yoinks.html
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Simmzap?

Simmons crossed with a McCoy Laser Zap? Is that what he's getting at?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Whoah, interesting that the planing hull theory seems to work to some degree without fins - http://driftsurfing.com/blog/?p=6961

I hate to say it, but I am about to try to shape my own board and I think it might end up being similar to these finless planing hulls :)