Bear Surfboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Kunho5
Grommet

Bear Surfboards

Post by Kunho5 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Gday I have lately become interested in Bear longboards specifically the Beau Young 9'1 and the Bear HP 9'1.

There are also epoxy versions too.

There does not seem to be a lot of info around on these. Does any one have any experiences with regards to these.

I would like to here from you. Thanks.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Bear Surfboards

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:47 pm

bear longboards have been the best ones i've ridden.
and the only thruster longboards i've liked.

not cheap, but built well. i've only ever bought second hand.
i've ridden about 4 of them, from 7'2" (i know that's not a longboard) to 9'6", all with square tails

these were all shaped in the 90s, so not sure what model they were closest to, they were shaped by paul hutchinson and were more high performance than traditional.

epoxy ones are rubbish.

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Yea I believe the two I mentioned are shaped by Hutcho.

Thanks for the feedback.

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Kunho, have to agree with alakaboo. I had a Bear shaped by Billy Tolhurst and in my opinion the best HP board I've ridden. I'm over the HP thruster longboard and am now riding a Dain Thomas log and Martinson shaped single fin. Fantastic boards. If your'e going from a short board to a longboard then the Bears the go, BUT a glassed on single fin is the ultimate ride. It took me several years to realise this but I'm having a ball! Have fun and enjoy. :D
Oh yeah, heavy poly logs and light HP is the go. IMO.
Good luck...

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 pm

OK no votes for Epoxy so far.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:57 am

Different strokes. I like the S/T longboards ( GASP!!!! ). If you are looking for an all round longboard, and aren't caught up in the "Traditional" style surfing, then try one. If you like old school logging, then you probably won't like them. Personally i don't like shortboard surfing on longboards, but im a no one, so who cares.

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Personally I have many boards now but my goto is a surftech shortboard.
It is tough as nails and catches anything big or small. I have pounded it severely. I just plug any cracks (not many) over night with epoxy putty and she backs up the next day ready to ride again. All boards sustain damage.

I know this may offend some purists but that is why I am asking. I have a trad. noserider and its a bit of a dog but when it has a good day the glide is sensational. I love the longboard rush.

Cheers.

tigers

Post by tigers » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:10 pm

North Coast Surfboards are renowned for their quality . Best shapers - best glassers - proven designs.......if you got the $$$'s , get one in balsa.....they are the best !

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 pm

I love my heavy glass single fin but I'm on the lookout for a big wide squaretail epoxy number that I can lug around with ease and not treat like a carton of eggs. Especially in summer when its crowded. I love the feather light takeoffs on big cresting peaks you can do on a surftech. Whether it goes good is still dependent on the shape.

Had a really good bear board years ago but it was a bit of a high performance number with a widowmaker set up for the fins. I didn't like how it dictated when you were needing to turn on largish, long bowling waves. Great glass job though and great in a beach break. Definitely consider another bear model if I am looking for a new glass board.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:45 am

Beanpole wrote:I love my heavy glass single fin but I'm on the lookout for a big wide squaretail epoxy number that I can lug around with ease and not treat like a carton of eggs. Especially in summer when its crowded. I love the feather light takeoffs on big cresting peaks you can do on a surftech. Whether it goes good is still dependent on the shape.

Had a really good bear board years ago but it was a bit of a high performance number with a widowmaker set up for the fins. I didn't like how it dictated when you were needing to turn on largish, long bowling waves. Great glass job though and great in a beach break. Definitely consider another bear model if I am looking for a new glass board.
C.J. Nelson noserider might be the go, super wide square tail..