Thinking of getting a longboard - suggestions

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Thinking of getting a longboard - suggestions

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:15 am

If the ATO smiles on me this year (and believe me the cnuts are due after years of me paying them) I may get enough in my kitty to afford a new board.

The board I want:

I want a longboard, around 8'2", three fin setup with the box in the middle so I can add bigger or smaller fins. I don't want a shape that is only going to suit surfing only off the back-foot because I don't like to and it has got to be well glassed, have a strong stringer etc... as I want it to last for a long time and am prepared to pay the extra for such enhancements.

Why I want it:

As some of you may know I love the reefbreaks of Flinders down where I live. These waves are pretty fat and full, build slowly and on a very good day produce walls that you can ride for up to 300 metres.

Due to being located a fair way off the shore (500 metres) the paddle out is rather difficult and once you're out there you have to battle with goat boaters, mal riders and sea-changers on those damned SUP's. My current ride (7' Miller V-Skate) goes really well on them but it is a lot of work in the warmer months on Sunday mornings.

Key to the board for me obviously is something that is going to paddle really well and will go quick and stable once I'm up. In short while I know I will sacrifice performance in comparison to the V-Skate I don't want to sacrifice that much.

Where to from here:

I'm keen to get some suggestions/recommendations from you blokes on some good shapers, Vicco guys especially. Two well-known local shapers in my area are Trigger Brothers and Island Surfboards and they are at the fore-front of my thinking, the other is the Grant miller Powerglide (but unsure on how they'd go at this length) and of course some of you guys that make em as well. Don't want a pop-out or mass-produced board either.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

LONGINUS
barnacle

Re: Thinking of getting a longboard - suggestions

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 am

Pridmore does a nice 8 footer. My missus has me under strict board quota of no more than 10 boards so next time I break one Im going to get one of them.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:02 am

Aye, I'm sure mark could sort you out.

Suggestions:
1) ditch the idead of concave under the nose, on an eightfoot board it will only make it harder for you to catch waves (especially on those windy days down south) it will also slow you down as soon as you are out of the power, the board will trim just fine from the front without it, flat = fast.

2) Flat = fast, part two; rocker and shape, flat through the middle 2/3rds of the board, a bit of curve in the nose and tail, but otherwise flat=fast!!

3) Go for a rounded pin, thumb or diamond tail, my personal preference is for rounded pins.

4) foam; it's your friend, make sure there is plenty of it through the body of the board and into the nose, ya can take it off at the rails but just make sure the thickness is maintained where suitable, it'll make long paddes easier and potentially long sessions longer all without having much effect on performance, sleek boards look sexy, they also sink.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:03 am

Why dont you go back to Grant and get him to make you a Powerglide. He does them in round pins as well and you wont even need to go to 8 feet to get the paddling power. Mines 7'6" and goes good from 1 -6foot surf. He's on holidays until early October according to the website.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:22 pm

sean-- wrote:Why dont you go back to Grant and get him to make you a Powerglide. He does them in round pins as well and you wont even need to go to 8 feet to get the paddling power. Mines 7'6" and goes good from 1 -6foot surf. He's on holidays until early October according to the website.
Yeah it's an option mate for sure I think AZ or beachbanga have one and use it at Flinders and seem to like it.

But I want it to be at least 8' I've already got a 7' and I want the extra length so I can catch them earlier
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 pm

C'mon hatchman, go the 9 foot (you know you want to) :wink:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:43 pm

RickyG wrote:C'mon hatchman, go the 9 foot (you know you want to) :wink:
I had thought about it a bit but was concerned how I'd go handling a board of that size in swell 5 foot and over.

Especially down here where the waves have a heck of a lot of punch to them.

I figured something around 8' or 8' 2" would be a better compromise - happy to hear thoughts to the contrary though...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 pm

thanks heaps for suggesting me guys....8fters goin for $750, custom..plus delivery costs.... 8)

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Hatchman wrote:
I had thought about it a bit but was concerned how I'd go handling a board of that size in swell 5 foot and over.

I figured something around 8' or 8' 2" would be a better compromise - happy to hear thoughts to the contrary though...
This is a really curious thought, look at the old movies could they handle bigger surf with the longer boards YES that's all they had to ride, IMO you still can and a modern longboard can do it better than ever.
Hatch go the board that will give you the most fun doing what you want to do!
Edited for further comment..... don't the half and half route most compromises work out piss poor.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 pm

I had a 8'2" and upped it to a 9'2" Tolhurst. Best decision I have made especially if you want to get on them earlier.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:49 pm

^^^^

Tell me more mate

Does it go well in the bigger stuff, price reasonable or not, did you compare it with a McTavish etc....

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:16 pm

McCoy nuggets are the go.
Proper glass jobs 6oz.
Not many surfers realize the signifigance of having the wide point and rocker/dome apex 3'' below 1/2 way , this makes them the easy to turn long boards.
At one end of the surfboard spectrum is the 6' by 18'' by 2 1/4'' 4 oz disposeable surfboard.
At the other end is a mal with a good strong durable 6oz glass job.
The nugget sits right in the middle of the surfboard spectrum.
Plus the fact that they are 3'' thick means they sit high on the water and have fast straight line speed, perfect for gently sloping wave faces.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:53 pm

Hatchman wrote:
sean-- wrote:Why dont you go back to Grant and get him to make you a Powerglide. He does them in round pins as well and you wont even need to go to 8 feet to get the paddling power. Mines 7'6" and goes good from 1 -6foot surf. He's on holidays until early October according to the website.
Yeah it's an option mate for sure I think AZ or beachbanga have one and use it at Flinders and seem to like it.

But I want it to be at least 8' I've already got a 7' and I want the extra length so I can catch them earlier
He does them up to 8'6" I'm pretty sure. I've got a mate who has an 8 footer and its heaps of board. If you know someone who has one have a go on it because I reckon you'll like it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:45 am

A Tolhurst could be good. I'm sceptical about Powerglides but I have seen some people ride them well. I have never seen anyone surf a big nugget forcefully. I can see the advantage of a big fat butt for catching waves but how about if its hollow?
The answer seems to be-Oh, it looks a bit rough, lets get a latte.
On the mals in big waves question I reckon either a full thruster or a single. I've had success with both but problems with the usual widowmaker set up. I'm sure others would disagree.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Beanpole wrote:A Tolhurst could be good. I'm sceptical about Powerglides but I have seen some people ride them well. I have never seen anyone surf a big nugget forcefully. I can see the advantage of a big fat butt for catching waves but how about if its hollow?
The answer seems to be-Oh, it looks a bit rough, lets get a latte.
On the mals in big waves question I reckon either a full thruster or a single. I've had success with both but problems with the usual widowmaker set up. I'm sure others would disagree.
What bit are you sceptical about ?

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:23 pm

otway1949 wrote:
Hatchman wrote:

This is a really curious thought, look at the old movies could they handle bigger surf with the longer boards YES that's all they had to ride, IMO you still can and a modern longboard can do it better than ever.
Hatch go the board that will give you the most fun doing what you want to do!
Edited for further comment..... don't the half and half route most compromises work out piss poor.
Good point. I think sometimes that what people really need is a longboard but they're a bit apprehensive about being labelled a 'longboarder'.

Hatchman, I'm not familiar with the waves where you are but as you describe it I'm assuming there's a bit of apaddle but with defined channels (ie you're not battling your way through a beachy). If so a mal would be easy to handle, and well suited to it. If the waves aren't too hollow (it is Vicco after all :wink: ) the extra length and volume will let you get in early and set yourself up. High perf mals are designed for modern surfing, so there probably won't be too much you can't do that you would on an 8 footer.

Anyway, it's up to you. I've got a nuggety 7'6'' hybrid that it a lot of fun in the right conditions too.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm sceptical because I tried one once in crappy surf and it felt really weird. The idea of a fish just fits my idea of a short really wide surfboard better than these. Probably an unfair rap but thats how I feel about them.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?