A bit on the nose...

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: A bit on the nose...

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:59 pm

I work with a guy who is in a long boarding club and he's always going on about smacking the lip
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:59 pm

We've got the oz titles at our local area next months so i'll have a peek at the judging and maybe i'll vid a couple of waves and then post what scores they got, that way we can discuss the outcomes.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 am

TrevG wrote:I was using the observations to support the earlier opinion that there needs to be some separation between "traditional" and "modern". And to agree that, if noseriding has fallen by the wayside in the judging stakes, it should be re-instated but with attention paid to the type of board ridden.
OK Trev, just me jumping :D but not sure that I agree... board selection should be irrelevant to judging. It would be just too hard sift through and like the guys who say have 10 footers for the micros days and have an advantage, is it fair? Since when did fair come into anything?

To me longboarding should be a comprehensive mix of old and new, with style.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 am

As for different comps / heats for Traditional vs Performance based ....I thought the Old Mals vs Open contests basically have that covered.

A full nose-riding comp holds little interest from me as well, purely from the point of view as spectator. But I could watch someone like John Gill freesurfing all day.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:16 am

ric_vidal wrote: To me longboarding should be a comprehensive mix of old and new, with style.
Absolutely agree. 8)
I got chipped by some guy out at Queensie one day because he said I was riding my mal like a shortboard. Since I've never ridden a shortboard and was driving rally cars when the shortboard revolution took place, I know my style hasn't changed except to accommodate the extra manouverability of the modern mals, I told him to "Go Away" (or words to that effect :wink: ).
I surf for personal enjoyment and to hell with others' perception.
When i got back in the surf in 1986 after nearly 20 years away, a guy I grew up with recognised me by my style from the beach, so I'm pretty sure I haven't changed too much over the years (apart from restrictions caused by weight :twisted: and age. :twisted:
But I've not competed for a long time. Caloundra Mal Club might suck me in, yet though.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:15 pm

So how would a guy be scored if he was surfing much better than all the others but surfing only high performance stuff, no nose riding really but killing it compared to the others...airs, big hacks, 360's etc....? would he be penalised for not walking up to the nose ? or is it up to the surfer to ride the wave how he or she chooses ??? and wouldnt each individual judge have their preference to what is good surfing ? or do they all have to have the same thoughts ? I guess there is a criteria and they all know it and have to follow it ....

so what are the board restrictions/ criteria to be able to compete ??? think tail-middle and nose have to add up to 51" or something dont they ??? anyone know exactly what it is and any other rules for the boards ???

I appreciate a surfer who can do all of it, including riding the nose but there shouldnt be restrictions placed on surfers to have to ride a wave really...but that is comp surfing isnt it ? if you wanna win, then you have to dance how the judges want you to dance...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 pm

yeah right, so whats the nine foot board for then? this IS about short board wanna-bees because all the shit that aint nose riding can be done better on a board that doesn't have a nose to be ridden, get it? I think its fu*ckin great that cunce can schralp big turns, whack the lip and do airs on 9 foot boards, its great AND pointless because Kelly, the shortboard crew and most wicked groms at your local can do it better on boards that are on average three foot shorter and inifinitely better suited to the task... This is about people paying creedence to the art of noseriding, valueing it as highly as surfing peformed on the other end of the board. Don't get confused, I aint on an anti=shortbaord rant, I love riding shorter boards, and all that does is reinforces that all that hih performance shit isnt suited to a board that's nine foot long, YES, it can be done, but it can be done poorly in comparison to the shortboard version.

So yeah, i think the guy who doesn't ride the nose SHOULD be scored less, but even further than that, I beleive that longboard comps should be held in conditions conducive to good noseriding, as a surfer who rides both short and longboads of all varieties, when I get to the beach and the surf is top to bottom, inside out and overhead, then the longboard doesn't get a look in, likewise, when the surf is a bit full or slow, regardless of size, the shortboard isn't considered.

At the end of the day, in the australian longboard scene we have the ability to cater for both, 8footers = full on hi-performance, but, 9 footers should equal and emphasis on noseriding. thats IMO anyway...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:14 pm

My one qualification with the trad versus prog debate is-if its hollow and someone can pull in on a 9footer then they should clock up max points. Cause that aint that easy.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:40 am

WANDERER wrote:yeah right, so whats the nine foot board for then? this IS about short board wanna-bees because all the shit that aint nose riding can be done better on a board that doesn't have a nose to be ridden, get it? I think its fu*ckin great that cunce can schralp big turns, whack the lip and do airs on 9 foot boards, its great AND pointless because Kelly, the shortboard crew and most wicked groms at your local can do it better on boards that are on average three foot shorter and inifinitely better suited to the task... This is about people paying creedence to the art of noseriding, valueing it as highly as surfing peformed on the other end of the board. Don't get confused, I aint on an anti=shortbaord rant, I love riding shorter boards, and all that does is reinforces that all that hih performance shit isnt suited to a board that's nine foot long, YES, it can be done, but it can be done poorly in comparison to the shortboard version.

So yeah, i think the guy who doesn't ride the nose SHOULD be scored less, but even further than that, I beleive that longboard comps should be held in conditions conducive to good noseriding, as a surfer who rides both short and longboads of all varieties, when I get to the beach and the surf is top to bottom, inside out and overhead, then the longboard doesn't get a look in, likewise, when the surf is a bit full or slow, regardless of size, the shortboard isn't considered.

At the end of the day, in the australian longboard scene we have the ability to cater for both, 8footers = full on hi-performance, but, 9 footers should equal and emphasis on noseriding. thats IMO anyway...

I'll buy you a beer for this spray.
So fcuking true.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:58 am

aye, it did come off as a bit of spray, don't take it personal Mark, I need to get a farking breathalyzer for my computer, I was well over the limit last night LOL!!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 pm

nah, fark thats sweet, we ( surfers ) have to disagree or this sheep thing would get out of hand.. I have never been into longboarding so therefore dont have much connection to any of the traditions but can respect and appreciate the grace of it when done well but where I look at it from is a designers point of view and I just look for ways to improve equipment ( or create a different option ) to push the boundaries or take it somewhere else maybe...I agree there should be nose riding but I also think if individuals choose not too and they go down the high perf road, then they shouldnt be penaised neccesarily, bit like if you dont do airs or reverses, you shouldnt be penalised IMO...good surfing is good surfing and its open to interperatation by the judges so competitors have to conform to their criteria unfortunately...conforming sux but if you wanna make a go at making bucks from riding waves it is part of the game...unless you are the lucky freesurfer type.... 8)

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:. But I could watch someone like John Gill freesurfing all day.

Likewise.

Its a complete uphill battle this trad vs high performance.
Ive been passionate about it for the last 9 years, just dont care anymore. Surfed in contests around the world, its the same shite everywhere.

At the end of the day its all irrelevant to me, when i actually sit down and watch and learn from someone like the above mentioned surfer...it makes it all worth it

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Just by chance the Lennox Longboard Classic was on this weekend so I cruised with my fam to check out the action.
Shot a little clip of the Over 50's final featuring one of Ballina's finest; Eric "the Phantom" Walker.

Pleasure to watch.
To mine he covered the essentials of longboarding : a subtle and nuanced understanding of trim, precise body english delivered through the hips, knees and ankles, a willingness to let the board run naturally through the trim lines and join the dots and an attention to the dance.
The Phantom is well and truly over 50 and I love watching or surfing with him.
More than anything though it's his chivalry in the water that marks him as a master.
Long may you Run Phantom.
Here is the Phantom in action.
http://www.vimeo.com/5886009

Sveta
Grommet

Post by Sveta » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 am

Longboarding is all style. 8) There is nothing more expressive than a sweet nose ride with back arch. I think it epitomizes surfing.

Nice Vimeo Steve. I think he (Phantom) is a national treasure. I hope I'm that good at that age.

I ride both short and long. IMO I think ripping is for short boards. My long board is for styling. Bottom turn, stall and walk - I looooooove it 8)

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:21 am

WAY over 50 and nice audio backing too! (west coast genre circa 66 maybe?)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 am

Coltrane....All or Nothing at All....from Ballads.
Mingus : Short flamenco break from ModeF > Of love, Pain and Passioned Revolt, then Farewell, My Beloved 'til it's Freedom Day. From the Album The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

The Phantom always gives my wife a wave and if any of you have surfing wives you'll know the value of that. He's a gentleman.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 am

Hmm. Didn't pick it for 'trane but then I'm more a fan of his later stuff.

(and all of Miles, Sun Ra and Pharoah). BTW I saw Pharoah at his single gig in Melbourne in 08. (he wailin' away as usual) 8)

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:02 am

ric_vidal wrote:
TrevG wrote:The modern longboard can incorporate all sorts of design tricks to facilitate nose riding. I watch guys catch a wave still so flat a shortboarder can't catch it and immediately walk up the nose and just hang there across the wall. Sure it looks good and I admire what the board makers have achieved in design. But if you're talking about staying traditional and giving nose riding more scoring cred, then lets make sure the boards boast no design aids.
Trev, that’s just silly or I can’t ride :twisted: :D Progression in design is paramount, if you want traditional like that go and ride a stinkin’ old mal.

One thing is for sure, the cream always rises to the top, irrespective of the equipment.
Yeah Trev......you're a tool.