Meyerhoffer?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

surfar

Re: Meyerhoffer?

Post by surfar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:24 pm

lol,once again very amusing...

Ned asked if anyone had ridden the meyerhoffer,i responded by saying i've ridden the 9/2...

so,who of all you sceptics have ridden the design...?????????

NONE OF YOU?????...bingo....yes none of you would be caught with it under your arms....WHAT would your mates think?

its POXY, its popped out of the cobra factory,by ASIANS!!!!!

it cant work.....lol.... AND its marketed by GSI!

isn't that TERRIBLE!

well i'm inclined to think differently.

all aspects of design that can enhance the enjoyment of waveriding is of interest to me.

i own a quiver that encompasses PU,poxy and timber...18 at last count.

i built my first surfcraft in 1965

i've competed up to semi final level in national competitions

big deal eh....lets have more negative comment from the ostrich board design forum

the facts are,there are very few board designers but lots who ''think'' they are designers

the reality is they are tweakers of someone elses designs...

meyerhoffer has made mid lengths and longboards more manoueverable by pulling the wide point back.

dale velvy initially did this with the pig design in the balsa era(who on here has ridden one?)bingo.........................

the hoffer concaves and rocker and rails are tweaks of other peoples designs

the BOTTLE that fast frank was doing at skipps was a little like the hoffer.................

BUT importantly,thru GSI,lots of waveriders around the world will have more fun riding the meyerhoffer than an ostrich......

hey...do those ostrich feathers make good fins????

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:41 pm

1965 ?

You must be an old bastard up there in 'paradise lost' ?

Say hi to Velvy for me too. :D

You do make an important point though - too many people are worried about the asthetics of their surfboard rather than actually riding what suits them and might work for them - image is everything in the 00's !

Nice to be back.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:09 pm

some fair points but I am very keen to ride one, just havent yet had the chance. I do think it is an unattractive lookin thing and I have serious doubts that it will go too well, but in saying that I still wanna see for myself... As for the designer comments, well I am constantly playing with ideas and different designs I come up with...but you are right that most are tweaked versions of something else, but it is extremely difficult to come up with something original while still ensuring it is a functional shape...No ostrich here mate and have always been open to riding anything alternative and different in design....Maybe you are are bit harsh with your comments and directing them at too many of us here coz I know we may seem anti to the hoffer but shit mate , it is an extreme design and it is only natural to be suspicios about something so radically different to the sleek and flowing curves we are used to in board design.....good on ya for having a diverse quiver and would like to hear and see more about it.... 8)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm

surfar wrote:lol,once again very amusing...

Ned asked if anyone had ridden the meyerhoffer,i responded by saying i've ridden the 9/2...

so,who of all you sceptics have ridden the design...?????????

NONE OF YOU?????...bingo....yes none of you would be caught with it under your arms....WHAT would your mates think?

its POXY, its popped out of the cobra factory,by ASIANS!!!!!

it cant work.....lol.... AND its marketed by GSI!
It's got nothing to do with any of that buddy.

There are literally thousands of surfboard design ideas out there in the world. Many of them you yourself will never ride, either because you don't have access to 'em, because you don't have the money to buy one, because you don't want to ride the waves it's designed to ride, because you've never heard of 'em, or dozens of other reasons.

I myself look at the Meyerhoffer and think, no, there really is nothing here whatsoever for me, I'm on a few design tracks and that's really not one of 'em, it truly looks to me like a surfboard designed for marginal surfing in marginal conditions, in a manner calculated to attract unwarranted attention to it, and some of the hype I've read in the newspapers about it is really actually embarrassing ("the biggest design revolution since the shortboard!"). Thus -- via the hype job -- it has opened itself up to having merciless fun made of it.

Personally I reckon GSI has done a lot of surfers (and designers) a big favour over the past few years, by paying designers the kind of royalties they deserve, and by providing the average surfer with a good quality price point alternative. But if they hype something like this in this way, I reserve my right to take the piss out of 'em. :lol:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Interesting comments Pridmore,

Those Fat Bat things you keep plugging on these forums are not exactly 'pleasing to the eye' IMO, however they seem to work for some people on here. Its horses for courses I guess. If people are having fun out there who cares what the board looks like. Except of course when it comes to SUPs. There is no excuse for riding one of those stupid things :twisted: :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:48 pm

maybe not the best lookin design ever but it has always been about creating a very fun and functional shape...and they are definitely not in the same league as the hoffer... I love my diff designs but this one is just out there and doubt it could go well, but happy to try one and see....not that longboards are what I ride but keen to have a go.....Like you said Nath, horses for courses and how bloody lame would surfing be if we all rode the same boards...??? ( even though we almost were doin that not too long back ) good times as far as design goes IMO.... 8)

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:16 pm

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:05 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/ ... -xkm9.html

Great news everyone!

This piece of floating dog turd has just won an Australian international design award at an event sponsored by Standards Australia.

It's a real slap in the face for Standards Australia, which up until that time was acquiring some credibility among industry types. With this decision, the entire surf industry, plus random readers of the SMH, will be aware that SA has rocks in its head and bungs up its arse.

The designer, oh fuckmecliche, a bloody septic from San Fran no less, is quoted as saying;

''Surfboard design was a little bit boring. 'There's a lot of different constructions but design has been stagnant - more about fine-tuning than quantum leaps.''

And in one fell swoop he designed a surfboard to take a huge quantum leap backwards. Neither boring nor functional, the judges of this designer competition obviously weren't concerned with issues about it being functional.

Surfers the world over have been quoted thusly;

"If that thing flies I'm a fucking Pterodactyl."
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Standards Australia is just another government cling-on.

It invented those Awards in order to attract membership from companies who could see the advantage of having an "Australian International Design Award" on their mantelpiece. (It used to just be "Australian Design Award" -- I suppose that wasn't big-sounding enough.)

It's not like Standards Australia goes out and researches the crap out of all the best things Australians come up with each year -- if you want to win an Award you've got to join up and pay the entry fee, etc. S.A. loves awarding their Awards to things which will attract attention in the press and thus support their rather dubious role as the Govt's "official standards body". (Along with nice funding moolah of course.)

Mark Kelly saw it work beautifully with the H2 fin template, for which his former employer, Surf Hardware, won an Australian Design Award (pre-"International") several years ago. He's just being a smart businessman by paying for an Award.

But....yeah clearly they didn't go ask too many surfers about it.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Well if anything they are smart businessmen.

Although, I am not sure if that is a compliment. 8)

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 am

bloody oath they are smart business people. for me as a marketing student, they showcase a great example of the perfect marketing plan...but thats it!

hate their boards, hate they`re slogans, almost hate surf shop owners for letting them in (but the marketing is so good in the magazines and internet- you would be a fool not to stock them, they sell themselves)
...and i dont hate many things.

oh and surfar, yes i have ridden balsa pig with cut out mid section, in fact owned a home made aussie balsa board with an extreme hip...
and a tyler hatzikian take on the design.
i have ridden the bk bottle design from the 90s too
also the screwdriver by terry fitzgerald made in maybe 77`

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:37 am

I went along to my club's annual classic this year with a bizarre feeling that I might just win the board in the raffle (absolutely no chance of buying one so allowed myself to dream :lol: ).

When I got there I saw it was a Meyerhoffer. I didn't win it, and didn't much care.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

contorx

Post by contorx » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:36 pm

JET01 wrote:I surfed out at Phillip Island on Saturday at Shelly Beach. As i was getting out an older guy paddled out a board that looked similar to a Meyehoffer. Shaped by OKE (VIC shaper i think), it was a peanut shaped thing, about 9ft, and with a massive flyer in it. It had a pretty sweet paint job too.
hahaha yaa ive seen that guy out in the water a few times at the island. i asked him what the perceived benefits of the design were and he told me that the cutaway makes the board turn aloooot sharper and is way faster than standard longboard...
i watched him get a few waves and it sure enough.........it surfed no different than any other standard longboard. kinda cool paint job though haha..... :wink:

Rockyisland

Post by Rockyisland » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:57 am

Cat Bay a paradise lost great little nose riding wave now a log jam of the Shelley Beach angling club. Watch them when they frequent other breaks and they use the exact same angle on take off only to be left behind as the wave races away. These guys will use any advantage they can to try and do a proper turn unfortunately they are all getting in each others way. Surfing prowess and advice is freely given in the carpark the more boards you own the higher you are in the pecking order.
The peanut is designed for the "5 times a year I dont want to ride a shortboard but i want to turn like one I have not put in the hard yards over the years but I want to be an instant success crowd" .