An alternative to a fish?? Eggs? Diamond tails? etc

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

SDA
Grommet

An alternative to a fish?? Eggs? Diamond tails? etc

Post by SDA » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:56 pm

As the subject suggests.. I am looking for an alternative to a fish. I have a Walden Magic Fish which isn't working for me.. not sure if the board is a pig or I just don't know how to properly ride a fish!?

Anyway.. I am considering the following boards:

-McTavish Egg
-McTavish Scooter
-Southcoast Slot Machine
-Southcoast DT Slider

Has anyone had experience with any of these? Or have suggestions for an alternative?

I want something that will handle the fatter / junky / waves without much push days throughout summer.

Thanks in advance!

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Was in the local the other day and saw a Bear Fat Arsed Wombat on the second hand rack. Might take it for a test drive on the weekend - i'll let ya know how it goes.

Its a 6'4" btw

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm

MR twinnie! MR twinnie! MR twinnie!
you cannot beat the all time champ of the world's world beating machine.
MR twinnie!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Dt slider

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:07 pm

I have a DT slider with a 2+1 set up which I enjoy surfing. Very different from a fish (traditional fish). It still has glide due to its flat rocker and width.
No problem to carve big bottom turns and straight back up the face on the right wave.
Gets sketchy harnessing the speed on 4'+.
If you want some solid recommendations tell us how long you've been surfing. Age, weight, height. How often you get in the water? Where you've been riding the fish?
What kind of fish shape- tradition Lis or hybrid twin fin being called a fish?
What are you having trouble getting the fish to do?
What other boards do you have?
Why did you buy a fish in the first place?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:05 pm

I reckon its pretty funny that most shapers seem to find it impossible to create an eight foot board that can ride waves over 4 feet unless it a gun. Obviously the blanks aren't available.

Of course it would be a nightmare to have people catching overhead waves on a board that big.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm

The MR twinnie sounds a good idea and would be a livelier option than the boards you've mentioned. I was up Newy way a few months back and called into his shop and he's got some nice boards in there.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

4'+ and eight foot boards

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:16 am

Beanpole wrote:I reckon its pretty funny that most shapers seem to find it impossible to create an eight foot board that can ride waves over 4 feet unless it a gun. Obviously the blanks aren't available.

Of course it would be a nightmare to have people catching overhead waves on a board that big.

G'day Beanpole,
not sure if you're referring to my post but the Dt slider I'm talking about is 6'4" X 22" X 2&3/4"
I believe there's a storm brewing on the horizon.
The eight foot + crew are massing for an assault.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:44 am

Well my new boards 7'11" so I'm against these bastards :lol: :lol: :lol:

My point is that unless your red hot its an advantage to get into a lot of waves earlier and draw a clean line as opposed to last minute take off, straight to the bottom, straight to the lip in time to see the wave disappearing down the beach. People talk about longer boards being restrictive but short boards can restrict your surfing just as much. Learners don't learn to connect their turns and end up being way more unco than they need to be.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Beanpole wrote:Well my new boards 7'11" so I'm against these bastards :lol: :lol: :lol:

My point is that unless your red hot its an advantage to get into a lot of waves earlier and draw a clean line as opposed to last minute take off, straight to the bottom, straight to the lip in time to see the wave disappearing down the beach. People talk about longer boards being restrictive but short boards can restrict your surfing just as much. Learners don't learn to connect their turns and end up being way more unco than they need to be.
Did you get a McCoy?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Nah, worse than that and it goes great.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Beanpole wrote:Nah, worse than that and it goes great.
Did you get a coke and fries with it ?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:49 pm

sean-- wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Nah, worse than that and it goes great.
Did you get a coke and fries with it ?
Yep :D

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:54 pm

guard wrote:

I agree with a lot of that however i found with some oversized boards that i was slower off the bottom turn.
Ive ridden different sized fishes and the least bouyant of the lot was harder to get into fatter waves early but in hollower surf is easier to ride.

Also seemed when it got sucky the bigger boards wouldnt drop in as quick
and would be harder to bottom turn/get speed around a section to setup your ride.
The least bouyant just seems a lot quicker off the bottom and top and easier to control in semi hollow waves.

I guess thats due to
a) less weight needed to sink the tail/rails
b) the bigger ones were designed for larger people
c)less movement needed to pop onto a rail
d)getting better at riding fish

However this board isnt that fun in slop in my oppinion and a beastier board is better to ride.
Also the single concave seems to gain more speed in glassy or offshore conditions but "suck" a bit in onshore conditions.

Maybe thats me just being fussy and only really surfing in protected/good conditions though.ie not getting much better at surfing slop.

On topic, i would go with the egg or a twinny, but twinnys might not suit your style, but they might...So maybe get a demo.
Definitely true. You are really relying on the design of the board to compensate for the bouyancy. On larger open faces it can be a real advantage unless you get blown away by the wind. :roll:

homebush

Logs, eggs and alternatives

Post by homebush » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:35 pm

For the guys over 50 you may understand. 1st board after standard thruster (not wishing to go mal path) 6"6" McCoy Nugget. Nice board but a bit of a flat skatey feel. Trade for a Rusty Piranha C5 6'7", great board but cut in two by mal riding tourist. Replace with 6'6' Rusty C5 again but now find it too hard to get into waves. Trade in on 6'8" Byrne Easyrider Tufflite 6'8", awesome board when smooth conditions but when usual Sydney summer chop bounces all over the place as so stiff. Trade that in to Rusty T2 6'6" Flexlite, awesome board in good conditions ie. when its relatively smooth, I've only just got in the water, there's not many people about, the waves are less than 2 mts, the waters warm & I can catch 3 waves & paddle back out without requiring oxygen.When I buy a mal I know I'm Fkcd

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:44 am

I reckon learning to surf a mal properly is one of most fun things in surfing.
I get a bit sick of dragging one around everywhere though.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 am

Beanpole wrote:I reckon learning to surf a mal properly is one of most fun things in surfing.
I get a bit sick of dragging one around everywhere though.
Very true BP, nice to have a foot, or 2, in both camps though.

Figure as the body gets older there will be plenty of time on longer equipment. Let the conditions and the body dictate so it is nice to have choices.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Beanpole wrote:Well my new boards 7'11" so I'm against these bastards :lol: :lol: :lol:

fair point- I try to go for the happy medium, long enough to get into em early and draw nice lines but short enough to go up and down when you want to.....

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Beanpole wrote
Well my new boards 7'11" so I'm against these bastards

BP, I'm guessing you're from the Goldy. You should catch up with Wayne Deane and what he does with longer short boards. I've had a few and have been stoked in all of 'em. From what you're writing I reckon you blokes would be on the same wavelength. He's closed his shaping bay at Sth Tweed, but I think he's still shaping from home.