Bodysurfing

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Innerview
regular

Re: Bodysurfing

Post by Innerview » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Is this recommended to Bodysurf a reef break rolling 2 mtr south swell at 14 second period

DaveK
Grommet

Post by DaveK » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Is this recommended to Bodysurf a reef break rolling 2 mtr south swell at 14 second period
Only as often as you can...
Nice pic. Who's the bodsybasher? Got any more?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:42 pm

You guys seen this site?

Innerview maybe you could send an image or two...

http://bodysurf.com.au./

Innerview
regular

Post by Innerview » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:19 pm

I got 50 odd more from this session, he took a pasting oh right. :shock:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 am

Nice stuff!!
Good to see the thread revived. I see Island and probably one of Pikers Hole.
Any idea of a date for a friendly reef bash Sydney side??

mondo
Grommet

Post by mondo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:56 am

i started bodysurfing before moving onto the stand up, but i still occasionally hit up a body bash session. i use a POD, plus fins. body surfing with the pod is so fun, you can actually carve on a wave, being able to turn, going up and down the face, plus, i push down on it with both hands so my body is entirely out of the water, great for extra speed, particularly in barrells. for those that don't know about Pods, they have "fin" type shaping on the underside, this enables the turning. i've tried the handboard, the one that is flat, it pushes you out of the water, but you can't turn with it.
i love the feeling when body surfing of the late drop then turning hard on a really steep faced wave, feeling like you are falling, your outside leg is flapping out of the water, your body launched out of the water, all that grips the wave is the POD and the side of your ribs skimming the face, seeing the water curtain fall over your head, your face is right next to the water as you get deep in the barrel....the foam ball builds and then - BOOM,you're hit and sucked up....SILENCE....BOOM get slammed so hard, paddle up gasping for breath....awesome fun.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 pm

"moving on to the standup?" :roll:

Warning, warning, status anxiety alert.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:43 pm

mondo wrote:i started bodysurfing before moving onto the stand up, but i still occasionally hit up a body bash session. i use a POD, plus fins. body surfing with the pod is so fun, you can actually carve on a wave, being able to turn, going up and down the face, plus, i push down on it with both hands so my body is entirely out of the water, great for extra speed, particularly in barrells. for those that don't know about Pods, they have "fin" type shaping on the underside, this enables the turning. i've tried the handboard, the one that is flat, it pushes you out of the water, but you can't turn with it.
i love the feeling when body surfing of the late drop then turning hard on a really steep faced wave, feeling like you are falling, your outside leg is flapping out of the water, your body launched out of the water, all that grips the wave is the POD and the side of your ribs skimming the face, seeing the water curtain fall over your head, your face is right next to the water as you get deep in the barrel....the foam ball builds and then - BOOM,you're hit and sucked up....SILENCE....BOOM get slammed so hard, paddle up gasping for breath....awesome fun.
MONDO ROCKS :lol: :lol: Always good a body bash :lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:38 pm

I've been getting into a bit of bodysurfing in the last few years when the waves or crowds aren't very good for stand-up surfing.

I absolutely love it! It makes me grin ear-to-ear when I get a nice wall. Great for fitness as well.

I think one of the most fun sessions I've had were with fins at south curly last summer. There were pretty big wedgey rights that I could take off on right in the pocket. Another was at Bronte reef on a higher tide that was too full to surf, but perfect to jump off the surge rock and bodysurf right into the channel.

Can I spart up a discussion on bodysurfing technique?

So far I've gathered:

- Surf with one hand out to control direciton.

- Place both hands by your side and lead with your head to kind of "drop" down the wave.

- On a really steep section surf with one hand out and really lean into the wave, bringing your back arm almost behind your head to keep you in the waves face (e.g. for a barrel).

What else can you guys share? This us all surfing with bodyboarding fins BTW.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Im no serious bodysurfer at all, but on really shite days I love to go body surfing, I learnt this before surfing due to my old man being a body surfer. Im starting to look into different things to do rather than just surfing all the time and cant wait for someone to reply on techniques they use. I use to body surf little av a bit and also a place I called rockpools near bungan beach when I couldnt be bothered taking the board out if the size wasnt really there.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

BodysurfersInfo

Post by BodysurfersInfo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:02 am

I have started an Australian Bodysurfing website please visit www.bodysurfers.info for more information.