Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: Midlengths

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:30 pm

JET01 wrote:
Cranked wrote:Well it would have been just four and a bit really. The board is gone now, traded for a 6' 10, the identity of which I'm too embarrassed to name here. The reasonable rocker in the tail wasn't enough to make up for stiffness of all the flat in the midsection, and the pintail reduced the effectiveness of the rail fins.

How bad could it be? A 6'10 FireWire advance? :D
It's all too often the archer not the arrow.
The surfing world is chock full of wankers with delusions of themselves being a ripper.
:-o
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Cuttlefish wrote: It's all too often the archer not the arrow.
Cuttlefish you've only heard about the boards I don't like. I have five others that I absolutely love. I've ridden McCoy nuggets for over 12 years now and always have two or three. I jumped on an LSD Flashback about three months ago, on the very first wave I loved it. It was a 6'4, I bought a 6'8 as well, they are the two boards I ride every day around Perth, the 6'4 in the smaller less crowded reefs, the 6'8 in more crowded conditions and/or more gutless waves when other riders are on mals. The McCoys (6'3, 6'6, 6'8, 6'10) I rode every day in Indo for about 8 months this year, they don't go so well in the weak Perth waves.I have no intention of ever getting rid of them, except that is for the 6'10.

The resent spate of board changes was because I had the 6'10 and the 6'8 nuggets, they were a bit too similar, so I traded the 6'10 for a 6'8 zot, which I definitely did not like, too stiff, ditto for the 8' Crow. I checked the tail rocker of the 6'8 zot against a McCoy hand shape, it was about half, which would help explain the stiffness that I complained of.

What I've been reminded of is that I like the looseness of the nuggets, and it has just been reinforced to me that the only other boards that I instantly like are twinies (or quads), also for their looseness.
The surfing world is chock full of wankers with delusions of themselves being a ripper.
As for the gratuitous insult you dickhead, I've never claimed to be a ripper.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 pm

JET01 wrote: How bad could it be? A 6'10 FireWire advance? :D
Davros wrote: Still buying 800 dollar pop outs? :D
Well you cocksuckers, if you can guess correctly I'll confirm it.

Here's a hint:

Having realised that I like looseness and volume (I'm 64, so give me a break, and there's a lot of mals that I have to compete with for waves), I went for the apotheosis of high volume board design by a well know shaper who's design palette is untrammeled by a narrow design focus like that of Geoff McCoy

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Cranked wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote: It's all too often the archer not the arrow.
Cuttlefish you've only heard about the boards I don't like. I have five others that I absolutely love. I've ridden McCoy nuggets for over 12 years now and always have two or three. I jumped on an LSD Flashback about three months ago, on the very first wave I loved it. It was a 6'4, I bought a 6'8 as well, they are the two boards I ride every day around Perth, the 6'4 in the smaller less crowded reefs, the 6'8 in more crowded conditions and/or more gutless waves when other riders are on mals. The McCoys (6'3, 6'6, 6'8, 6'10) I rode every day in Indo for about 8 months this year, they don't go so well in the weak Perth waves.I have no intention of ever getting rid of them, except that is for the 6'10.

The resent spate of board changes was because I had the 6'10 and the 6'8 nuggets, they were a bit too similar, so I traded the 6'10 for a 6'8 zot, which I definitely did not like, too stiff, ditto for the 8' Crow. I checked the tail rocker of the 6'8 zot against a McCoy hand shape, it was about half, which would help explain the stiffness that I complained of.

What I've been reminded of is that I like the looseness of the nuggets, and it has just been reinforced to me that the only other boards that I instantly like are twinies (or quads), also for their looseness.
As for the gratuitous insult you dickhead, I've never claimed to be a ripper.
The arrow hit the wrong target Cranked.
:D
My reply was in relation to Jet and the Addvance so no need to call me names.
Let him do it!
:lol:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Hahahah! Oops, sorry Cuttlefish, my apologies. :oops:

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Cranked wrote: Having realised that I like looseness and volume (I'm 64, so give me a break, and there's a lot of mals that I have to compete with for waves), I went for the apotheosis of high volume board design by a well know shaper who's design palette is untrammeled by a narrow design focus like that of Geoff McCoy
The other GM?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Nuh.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm

I like this guessing game:...Walden?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:59 am

The peanut shaped board gang..Mayersomething a rather

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:52 am

Cuttlefish has got it, that was quick.

The Walden 6'10 Mini Mega Magic ( :roll: ) is the one. Having tried branching out to some different design concepts I went with the McCoy ethos of maximum volume (the 6'10 packs a whopping 67l) with a host of design features to maximise looseness and control

The complexity of the bottom shape is remarkable. A deep concave in the nose transitions at the front foot into a very shallow double concave which is embedded in a rapidly increasing hard V,with the rail dropping about 3/8" below the stringer line at the front fins and continuing to the tail.

The concave(s) stops a few inches from the rail where it transitions to a bevel that washes out at the front fins.

There is a sort of loaded dome just behind the front foot where the deep concave changes to the hardish V.

Not the sort of bottom contours to ask from your local shaper, but just the thing for a machine shape.

I've taken it out in some almost non-existent waves and the big concave and planing area under the chest helped generate some speed. I was worried that it would feel just too big and cumbersome, but it felt reasonable. With all those curves its just gotta work in bigger stuff. Not much surf on the horizon here in Perth, so I'll just have to wait to see how it goes in better waves.

Will it exceed the current 2 week record for board turnover? There's a special section in my LBS for all my trades :lol: . Sometimes I change my mind and get one of them back again :| .

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:42 pm

67 lites in 6'10 ...what a fat bastard of a board, hang on it says its for peope UP TO 85kg....

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:01 pm

What is it with Geoff Mcoy and massive volume? a mate of mine has a heap of them and they are all so thick that duckdiving in not an option. He has a 9' mal that is 4" thick and you have to ride the thing like a Canadian lumberjack rolling logs down a river. Odd.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:18 am

Those Walden Magic boards are about 4" thick. Great when its ankle high. Not so good when its bigger and crunchier.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:51 pm

spork wrote:What is it with Geoff Mcoy and massive volume? a mate of mine has a heap of them and they are all so thick that duckdiving in not an option. He has a 9' mal that is 4" thick and you have to ride the thing like a Canadian lumberjack rolling logs down a river. Odd.
Maybe borrow one and see if you like it.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Iv ridden that horrible mal and a zot and nugget and hated them all. I tried to like them but they are just so different.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:42 pm

spork wrote:Iv ridden that horrible mal and a zot and nugget and hated them all. I tried to like them but they are just so different.
It's funny how people either like them or hate them.

When I got my first Nugget (7'2'' x 21.5'' x 3.125'') after 3 years of almost daily surfing, it was a revelation: Suddenly I could surf! At least it felt that way, although one could be forgiven for claiming that I still can't surf 15 years later. :D
But on a McCoy at least it feels like I can surf, sometimes.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:05 pm

I've had a few sessions on the Olive lately, however this morning was something else. Had a 2 hour session at Elouera, wonderfully long (compared to recent conditions) right handers in front of the surf club.
The more time i spend on this board, the more I regret stuffing around trying to go too short too soon.
I'm catching more waves than ever before.
There were some really nice long walls this morning. Got a few nice long turns in but spent most of the morning rising and falling along the right handers.

Just a wonderfully stable platform to glide around on.

Oh and the 9" Volan greenough 4A seems like it was great choice.

Between this board and my blue 6'1 single I can't see the shorties getting a gurnsey any time soon. These singles are just too much fun.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Good to hear Jet.

I reckon you have a good hybrid fished up quad in your future. Have a look at the Lost range, sounds like it may be up your alley.