Mini Simmons

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Mini Simmons

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:28 am

saltman wrote:Quick question re fin placement for MP and Huie. Some of the pics are a bit decieving
Are you staying with alighment parrallel to the stringer?
Any cant angle or straight up and down
The simmons I made myself had parallel fins and I didn't like it much. It lacked responsiveness and had to rely only on the planshape and rocker to turn.

Seeing as the planshape and rocker both give so much speed, I reckon you don't need to go the extreme parallel placement to get that extra tiny ounce of speed.

The speed of a simmons comes from its parallel outline and wide tail which makes it sit on top of the water better, and less drag through turns seeing as it doesn't sink so deep into the water.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:42 pm

every surfer has his ultimate length in a board

( i want give away the secret but it's true)

too small....want work...too big...fail

it varies from each surfer....especially in shortboarders

the like i suspect...my perfect length board is 6'4

so a mini simmons that size would go far better than a 5'4 :wink:

p.s no doubting....these minis are getting the very worse artwork on any board seen :roll:

guys.....when your finished riding em anchor them up in the river as nav bouys :idea: :x :arrow: :mrgreen:

that actually where they belong :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm

You've sold me with your logic, i'm getting rid of mine immediately.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:36 am

Fong, you sound like someone who doesn't like coffee because they never developed the taste for it after one sniff :)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:42 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:tried one...didn't like it

really, you get a lot more out a decent shortboard in the same waves

but thats just imo
Trying one once means your opinion is of little worth.
Hardly a platform to trash every interpretation of a board design.
But as Mark said it's just for a bite. :wink:
I'd shudder to think what most dyed in the wool shortboarders would say about a mid length hull after one surf on them. :lol:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 am

First surf I wasn't taken at all, because it IS that different to a regular shortboard.

After a few surfs and getting the feel for how to surf it, which it does take a different way of using your weight etc., I was having an absolute ball! I even look forward to small surf now, and even the fat and weak type of surf you would normally cringe at with a foiled out shortboard :)

I don't give a crap that I can't do figure-eight turns on a dime, it just goes that fast even without much energy input from the wave. When you do get a wave with a little bit of power then, whoosh!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:First surf I wasn't taken at all, because it IS that different to a regular shortboard.
. When you do get a wave with a little bit of power then, whoosh!

exactly my take on it captn :idea:

the better the wave...better it went...i'm not saying they ain't fun

for a retro kinda surf....but try and pass em off as the next big thing :|

sorry..nooooooooooo

they hate fat waves and don't perform at all in anything less than fully decent perfection

imo

and a standard shorty is /will b...faster and more moverable in those conditions than a half as,s throwback too the 50's

i'm sorry but it's true....i wonder what "new" :roll: model will be the fashion this time next year too get u buying :idea: :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:23 pm

and all this from one try... :?: arent fish a throwback design ? arent they functional ? The mini-simmons is fun and is fully functional, combine it with modern design features and materials and they are super fun and are another option for people who enjoy riding different boards, nobody said they are better than this or better than a shorty, they are a functional oprion as is about a hundred other designs atm...each to their own but very hard to know much after one surf , but we all like different boards, me I like em all and enjoy getting the most out of them...the mini is alot of fun for me and I'm stoked on how they go, but then again, I like fish too, and singles, and quads and HPS...
:roll: 8)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 am

Fong, I want to talk about your magic length idea.
I reckon I can only ride boards in even lengths, e.g. 5'10", 6', 6'4", 9'

I can't comment on the MiniSim, I haven't ridden one. At least you have, even if only once.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote: they hate fat waves and don't perform at all in anything less than fully decent perfection
Mines the complete opposite. It glides like crazy over fat sections where you would be monkey dancing and struggling on a shortboard. It gets closer to its top speed in waves with a little bit of push, purely because the wave is supplying more power/lift. Mine maxes out when the waves get "perfect" by my standards because its quite hard to negotiate late drops, and seeing as it provides so much inherent lift, more lift from the wave itself makes it skatey.

My simmons is the perfect yin to the yang of my Swinger/shortboard. It excels in the lower end of the scale where my shorty doesn't, and as soon as the wave has some juice or a decent wall I much prefer my shorty for the freedom and responsiveness.

I think just like any board, the mini-simmons has different design interpretations and variations with different performance characteristics. Just like you have different wide-tailed swallow tail fish. Some that surf tracky and stiff, and some that surf like a shortboard on steroids.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm with you cpt - all this board needs is a wall, no matter how small or lumpy. It doesn't suit a close-out, but what board does? I'm really enjoying mine, but then again i like experimenting with a range of surf craft and avoid riding a 6'4 pencil thin thruster unless the conditions suit - in which case is four times a year....One session on any board is nowhere near enough time to assess its capabilities, unless it is a nine hour session in varying swell size and conditions.
Mustkill - You've yet to answer my question - what type of simmons did you ride? what dims? what type of surf?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 pm

pridmore wrote:and all this from one try... :?: arent fish a throwback design ? arent they functional ?

yep :lol: ...i'm a bitch nowdays....i'll forgive a new board it's first surf in shit waves...but first surf in average /good conditions...if it don't work

cya later :idea:

too many boards THAT do work waste time..imo

said that...bit swell atm...so i'll give it another whirl....just be sure

as far fish go...well....obviously they work for me because they make marginal conditions more fun

the mini sim doesn't...imo

and u know...the reason why surfboards progressed in design over the years....is cause guys riding these wanks got onto better designs and never looked back :!:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:25 pm

some people want progression , some people just wana ride a fun shape for some different feelings and maybe to draw some different lines, bit like why I ride one of my old singles sometimes, than swap for a finless board, to enjoy the different feelings a board will give you, some may not like certain designs , wether it be coz of image or perception that it is a board shaped for sales due to a fad or trend, or hopefully because they have tried it to know it doesnt perform for them ( but you cant try em all but sure as farkin gunna try to haha..) but as for the mini-sim, I think its a functional shape and I ride mine most days lately, I have quite a few boards atm and my fave 2 are definitely my 5'3" dim-SIM and my fish=finger semi-finless .....had mine in 2 ft lefts today and it was crazy fun, picked up waves with ease, great for pivotty snaps off the top, planed over the flats well and paddles great too...alot of features alot of surfers would enjoy but not everyone likes the same stuff, that is one of the great things about surfboards, we all like diff stuff and there are so many options out there, plenty for everyone...and yep, you are a bitch these days...haha... have to catch up for a surf bitch and you can see if my dim-SIM works or not....you can try my finless thing too.... :roll: 8) 8)

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:31 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:...and u know...the reason why surfboards progressed in design over the years....is cause guys riding these wanks got onto better designs and never looked back :!:
how are you finding the kneeboard?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:04 am

The trouble with surfing these days is there's a new catergory of surfer who makes surfing less enjoyable for those around them...
The water bogan.
:roll:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:13 am

I am interested to know more bout this creature you speak of, how will I know if I encounter one, any specific qualities to look out for ??? :roll: 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Who was saying mini-simmons only surf horizontal and miss sections?

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Joining in on this tread a bit late - but just had my first surf on a mini sim design.

Met up with Cuttlefish for a pre work (shift worker..) surf on Wed at mid morning. Shoulder high, a few a bit bigger, offshore - nice banks. I was stoked to have a surf and share boards - but thought that his interest in my Mccoy Zot was far more than my interest in his DMS 5'6'' X 21 Mini Sim.

Me on a 5'6" - freaking delusional....

swapped over - and spun out that the thing a) floated me; and b) paddled reasonably. Caught a steep little wave right of the bat - expecting the board would nose dive - but it just made the late drop with ease and flew into the pocket - what this board did - did not make sense when you look at the shape :o

paddled back out and said to Cuttle %#*#$@^^%$# the thing just ##@@*&^&^%&^% and he smiled knowingly. I spent about an hour on the board and by no means mastered it - but I had loads of fun.

my thoughts compared to the many fish shapes and others - bizzarely loves to do tight turns, and likes to go straight up the face. Cuttle said "You can tell you have been on Mccoys for a while as you are timid with it and directional in your turns - just thrash it" - on a couple of sections I got to feel how the board pivots fully on its rear located fins and just flies.

It loves the steep face (like all boards...) but the difference is that the volume and shape gets you past the close ot section/ fat bit of wave/ etc and then takes off as you hit the pocket.

IMHO - loads of fun - a must have in a decent HVS qviver - a legitimate shape - very frigging suprised. Saying that this DMS valium model was the first I have tried - so not sure about the generability of this design style - but looking forward to finding out :D

Thanks Mr Cuttle - great surfing with you - but its not good to put temptations in my path - with my lack of willpower - you will get me in trouble :D