Mini Simmons

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Mini Simmons

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:33 am

holy crap huei, that board your friend did almost reminded me of those crazy jet channels that were made back when channels were popular, though its obviously not the same thing but Im imagining that would be a interesting finless board to ride :?: I need to study that photo for a lot longer to try and work out what is going on there :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:40 am

Erle Pederson was his name, he used to shape Jet Bottoms for Pipedream, then did his own thing, Water Rider ( think it was called )...they looked lethal but even if they went well ( not sure how they went ), there would have been some resistance from certain people within the manufacturing process I'd guess....

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:There's already a lot of different interpretations of the mini-simmons and when I first saw Muzzas take on them I thought "Nah, not for me".
Same goes for Feral Dave's Diverse mini-simmons models.
Too foiled out for my taste.
Super short seems to be the way to go.
Going wider or thicker over longer would be the call.
I'm 47 and I'm riding a 5'6" X 21&1/2" X 2&3/4" and could easily ride a 5'4".
Normally I ride plenty of much longer, thicker boards.
So I doubt that going longer would have helped.
I may have to eat my words here...
Should know better and of course Huie pulled me up for voicing this viewpoint though it wasn't meant to be derogatory.
Looks like I'll be experimenting with another Simmons that came my way at a price too good to resist.
That's all I'm saying for now.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote:There's already a lot of different interpretations of the mini-simmons and when I first saw Muzzas take on them I thought "Nah, not for me".
Same goes for Feral Dave's Diverse mini-simmons models.
Too foiled out for my taste.
Super short seems to be the way to go.
Going wider or thicker over longer would be the call.
I'm 47 and I'm riding a 5'6" X 21&1/2" X 2&3/4" and could easily ride a 5'4".
Normally I ride plenty of much longer, thicker boards.
So I doubt that going longer would have helped.
I may have to eat my words here...
Should know better and of course Huie pulled me up for voicing this viewpoint though it wasn't meant to be derogatory.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
w t f ya on about

Looks like I'll be experimenting with another Simmons that came my way at a price too good to resist.
That's all I'm saying for now.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:00 pm

pridmore wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Cheers huie, is that 6'5'' really 3 3/4 thick!! haha. I like foam but shit haha.

Super keen for a simms, got what i think is a good template for one ( that spin template is f*cking insane huie, i can make so many nice curves with it, thanks once again! ), but i need to do the egg first ( been riding my midlength as a single fin, loving it big time, need a smaller one ).

Mark, just curious, how far up from the tail do those hips start??. Loving the twin keels hey?!, they rock IMHO haha
not really hips, more of an increased curve but they start a little bit in front of the keels mate...and yeah, lovin the keels, really like the drive and these have a nice flex and just feel like they really suit this board, I am a compulsive experimentalist but these feel so sweet, I havent even considered changing anything at all yet...
Saw that board on Sways Huie, nice work but wasnt his idea hey ? he was just the machine ??? think

lot mre to it than that any way harry might of had drink before he made that statment

it would be hard for me to shape something I didnt believe was gunna work especially something that full on, obviously a good craftsman...
Kerry Gill was in my shop yeserday, he is good for a chat bout the old Cooly days with MP and co., you know him Huie ???
8)
HAAA YOU SHOULD KNOW THE GOLD COAST AND SUNNY DONT MIX
Last edited by huie on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi Huie,
I'm talking about when I said I didn't reckon that Muzza's and Feral Dave's mini-simmons were for me because of their foils and you thought I was being disrespectful and pulled me up about it.
Looks like I'll have to eat my words as it looks like I'll be riding one soon.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Hi Huie,
I'm talking about when I said I didn't reckon that Muzza's and Feral Dave's mini-simmons were for me because of their foils and you thought I was being disrespectful and pulled me up about it.
AH yea i dont realy know what they all do :roll: dont want to
i have had 2 j b minis here when a freind was over from the other side
i ploted there vol in aku and they were about 40 ltres
i have done a cplwe in that vain 1 being 48 litres fkin s u p almost :?:
but i am liking foiling them and shaping them in the old school way very suitable
but they realy are only just a fat version of the old kneeboards with a few adjustments
by the way the vol you gave for the measurments would be hard to get at those specs
and i have been well trained in cad 8) but if you ever want to get one with some foil
and increas the vol the s b that i mentiond will achieve that just get your shaper to use it.

cheers huie

oh compsand one soon :lol:

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:36 pm

fess up cuttle - what have you got on the way? That sweet 5'1 that Pridmore previewed earlier is all mine and i cannot wait :)
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:54 am

Nope I'm staying cryptic until I've had a couple of surfs on the mysto simmons.
The deal was done due to a trade in of a board that was not even in the radar of my quiver with a nominal amount for a changeover so curiousity got the better of me.
Went in to a local surf shop to buy an FCS fin box adaptor for my DVS 8' carbon fibre board so I could try running a thruster set up.
Then I could breeze by Kookster from the outside to run through the flat spots of Maroochydore's current banks and into the shories rather than getting a much shorter ride on the zap which I rode yesterday.
Lo and behold there was a new mini-simmons out in the used and specials rack out the front of the shop.
Certain 99% of people just look at it and think "kneeboard".
The irony is they didn't even have the FCS fin box adaptor anyway.
Mark should have the 5'1" EPS of yours finished soon Batoes.
It's going to be an interesting summer.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:08 am

not EPS, twas gunna be epoxy - PU but change of plans due to a recent hiccup in my confidence in a certain product, so that product has been put on hold til I can make myself another ( or a few to trial ), now she's constructed with standard materials but she is far from standard in shape and performance, Batoes has decided to add a touch of old skoolish colour plus the full polish so she should look the goods too...its been looked at alot recently, have had mine on display out the front of my shop and alot have stopped to feel her up, they ask questions and those that have been really keen, I then show the 5'1" fun slab , am currently chatting with a few about placing orders so its been good....plus last few times I have ridden her , its been in very crowded line-ups but very suitable waves and I've had alot of enquiries about what I'm riding, thank god I got those waterproof biz cards done up.... :roll:
5'1" isnt glassed coz my glasser is away til the 4th but its in the first batch the day he gets back, looking like 1 week after that.... 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:15 am

Batoes, if you get hooked and want to sell your 5'8'' McCoy, let me know haha. Doubt i'd slip that past the wife though :( .

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:57 am

Beery, I just keep changing boards and don't say anything... Seeing as they change quite regularly she just thinks she is crazy or her memory is failing her... haha :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:03 am

Im not to turned on by mini simmons, but I must hold my skewed point of view and try one on marks testing day before I make up my mind. You never know i might love em but I dont think so, I like a bit of length.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:43 am

I have never paddled out with more doubt in my mind to try a new shape and never been more surprised and stoked.....just try one...but they get better and better every surf, 20 sessions on mine and the last few have been unreal....not much else is getting a look in of late.....hoping to have 2 there on the day, its a time issue now....

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:12 am

Hey Beery, once i have the dim-sim we'll meet up and have a mccoy/dim-sim surf, hopefully we'll have more luck than the last few times!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:45 pm

[quote="saltman"]Likewise I am pretty handy with the Cad and I get Cuttlefishes board to just 43 litres on the dimensions provided with next to no foil
Thats still an impressive amount of floatation = modern shape 6'8" x 19 x 3"
or a huie hull 7' 2'' x 21''x 3'' vol 44litres :lol:

ahh'' saltman what were the measurments again :?: interesting exercise

need cuttle to get rail thickness by wraping his hand round rail at centre and get thickness from apex to index finger about 3'' but i am sure that to get over 40 litres itll be a :?:
(dont take offence cuttle) its very interesting to hand shape any board and then put the numbers back into a cad prgrme volume not alwys what ya think it should be :roll:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:27 pm

I do know where a 41 litre board (Diverse) floats me to and a 48 litre (Firewire) and comparing the Mini-simmons float I'd say the 43 litres is accurate.
New years Eve so won't be going out to check the rails right now.
Happy and safe new year to all. :D

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:01 am

Cuttlefish wrote:I do know where a 41 litre board (Diverse) floats me to and a 48 litre (Firewire) and

1lb e p s different to 2lb eps different to 3lb urathane

comparing the Mini-simmons float I'd say the 43 litres is accurate.
New years Eve so won't be going out to check the rails right now.
Happy and safe new year to all. :D
good exercise cuttle we shoulds do it it helps the crew to understand there boards beter
saltys on it :idea:

yep happy new year

cheers huie