Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

User avatar
Thud
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6266
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Can we compare post numbers to BPole in the same time period. Then do a quality vs. quantity analysis? :mrgreen:

Just kidding Beans. Love your stuff
“Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far” — THEODORE ROOSVELT

JaM71
Local
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:12 pm

mttyfive wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:24 am
JaM71 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:25 pm
mttyfive wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:00 am
After switching to longer boards over the last year from 6’0s and below performance fishy types these are my two go too’s now

Both 7,2. and same dims - Vouch Evo single for cruisier smaller days and the Simon Jones Massive channel twin for anything over 3 ft.
The Massive is bloody fast but surfs as close to a shorter board for a board that size. Still getting used to it as it’s still new.

Hope the image comes up

https://imgur.com/EQiooeu

https://imgur.com/qj3YV7P
Beautiful mate..... When you have caught a few more on the massive, please give us an update. I am curious how they go in less than stellar waves- Toren Martyn seems to only ride perfection!
Hi jaM71

Yeah, had a few more surfs with today being 3-4 ft dropping tide beachies at my local.
Comparing it to my single of the same length- due to the extra fin and channels allows for later drops ( as long as you take off and slide on rail down the face). Sits in the tube real nice and plenty of speed, again due to the extra fin and channels - sometimes feels like a rocket under your back foot as the water moving through feels like it’s getting compressed and forced out.
The rails are not as refined as I was expecting( kind of full) which I reckon if they were any thinner would be difficult to turn as there would be too much board, fin and channels engaged in the wave face to break your line into a turn. My single has thinner rails to no doubt compensate for the lack of fin engagement, etc

That being said and with this particular board- it does turn very easily and is loose for its length but also won’t slide out if you push it too hard (like my single which has to be nursed at speed to break into a cutty)

I wanted this board for larger waves ( my local Bombie & beaches when they’re good) and so I could push it a bit harder in turns, take off a little bit later in critical waves ( single would loose grip and usually slide out) and to also take off deeper when necessary and have the speed to make sections - so far it has met my expectations .

In less than Stella surf though I’ve found it to still perform as you can get in a bit earlier and still have enough responsiveness to react to what the wave is doing as crappy surf is obviously not as predictable
Cheers
Thanks mate, I do like the look of the massive. Good time of the year to be testing one
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by buddy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 am

I've been surfing my 7'0 in everything.
Only thing it struggles with is swinging late on sucky ones.
Still goes great in those waves, just gotta get in a bit earlier.

User avatar
tootr
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:50 am
Location: orstrayleeyah

Re: Midlengths

Post by tootr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 pm

7’0” what?
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna
"Drailed" wrote: Go Eastern Suburbs!! Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by buddy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:04 pm

tootr wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 pm
7’0” what?
Gash midlength.
Looks very similar to what Channel Islands have put out recently.
I think there’s pics a few pages back somewhere.
Iggy was very nice and delivered it to me.

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by buddy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 pm

The pics here are of the actual board I have. The guy I bought it from never rode it.
https://facebook.com/zaksurfboards/post ... 9734986698

User avatar
tootr
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:50 am
Location: orstrayleeyah

Re: Midlengths

Post by tootr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Ta, was curious.

Looks the shizz.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna
"Drailed" wrote: Go Eastern Suburbs!! Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23060
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Midlengths

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 pm

There was a guy out at my local this morning on something looked about 7' (ish).
Must have had some decent volume. He was paddling into things at high tide even the longer mals were having trouble with.
And surfing well.
#sixfeetissixfeet!

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by buddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 am

Trev wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 pm
There was a guy out at my local this morning on something looked about 7' (ish).
Must have had some decent volume. He was paddling into things at high tide even the longer mals were having trouble with.
And surfing well.
Mine isn’t particularly high volume and the flat rocker gives it the paddle more than volume imo.
I can catch tiny waves but it goes best in 3-4ft.
I like it for waves that are not quite right perfect sections then slow sections etc
My mate has a mini glider from Chris Garret in the 8’0 range and that has heaps of volume.

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23060
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Midlengths

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:56 am

buddy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 am
Trev wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 pm
There was a guy out at my local this morning on something looked about 7' (ish).
Must have had some decent volume. He was paddling into things at high tide even the longer mals were having trouble with.
And surfing well.
Mine isn’t particularly high volume and the flat rocker gives it the paddle more than volume imo.
I can catch tiny waves but it goes best in 3-4ft.
I like it for waves that are not quite right perfect sections then slow sections etc
My mate has a mini glider from Chris Garret in the 8’0 range and that has heaps of volume.
Yeah. This one had a pretty noticeable kick up in the nose.
He just looked like he was sitting high in the water when lying on the board at rest.
#sixfeetissixfeet!

User avatar
Thud
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6266
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 am

buddy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 am
Trev wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 pm
There was a guy out at my local this morning on something looked about 7' (ish).
Must have had some decent volume. He was paddling into things at high tide even the longer mals were having trouble with.
And surfing well.
Mine isn’t particularly high volume and the flat rocker gives it the paddle more than volume imo.
I can catch tiny waves but it goes best in 3-4ft.
I like it for waves that are not quite right perfect sections then slow sections etc
My mate has a mini glider from Chris Garret in the 8’0 range and that has heaps of volume.
Any dims buddy? I note the CI’s are reasonably narrow.
“Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far” — THEODORE ROOSVELT

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by buddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Thud wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 am
buddy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 am
Trev wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 pm
There was a guy out at my local this morning on something looked about 7' (ish).
Must have had some decent volume. He was paddling into things at high tide even the longer mals were having trouble with.
And surfing well.
Mine isn’t particularly high volume and the flat rocker gives it the paddle more than volume imo.
I can catch tiny waves but it goes best in 3-4ft.
I like it for waves that are not quite right perfect sections then slow sections etc
My mate has a mini glider from Chris Garret in the 8’0 range and that has heaps of volume.
Any dims buddy? I note the CI’s are reasonably narrow.
7’, 21” 1/4, 2” 3/4
Vs CI mid
7’, 21” 1/8, 2” 3/4

Profile looks the same, fin placement looks the same to me too.

User avatar
Thud
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6266
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Very close.
“Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far” — THEODORE ROOSVELT

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by buddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Good deal. Interesting to see what else he puts up.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eleeban ... ios_social

Beanpole
BUTTONMEISTER
Posts: 40051
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: Midlengths

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:52 pm

Nice. Wonder why it's an Australian Foil?
Don't answer. It's Retro I know.
Looks like a Rabbidge on the left.

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by buddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:03 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:52 pm
Nice. Wonder why it's an Australian Foil?
Don't answer. It's Retro I know.
Looks like a Rabbidge on the left.
Probably this decal
https://bingsurf.com/collections/all-bo ... 0-76-raven

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests