Plug hole help!!!

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

reeflingo
Grommet
Location: Where ever theres a sucky, hollow, perfect, peeling wave

Plug hole help!!!

Post by reeflingo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:03 pm

I got my new board the other day, anyway ive plugged all my boards ive had about 5 already and i just cant believe whats happened to my latest one.

heres the deal...

i got a new NMD player board and i knew there was a single stringer running along the centre of the board with about 10cm of room between the nose of the board and the start of the stringer. so this was the zone i was gonna put it in. so i get my trusty phillips head screwdriver with a diameter of half a centimeter and slowy start piercing a hole..

THEN BANG... i hit something, i thought i had hit the bottom of the slick but nope i hit the farken stringer!!! FARK FARK FARK!!!.....so i had to issue a new hole a little further higher which is all good now.

My problem is that i now have a little hole about half a centimeter in diameter below my plug. i havent used my board yet becaue i want to know what to use to fill this hole up.

PLEASE any suggestions would be so great, im really disappointed and i need to know what to do.
i know that spongereez stuff, but ive heard stories that it doesnt work.

please any help would be sick as...

cheers fellers

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:11 pm

first of all - idiot, why plug in the middle?
plug according to your DK stance, i.e. left side if your goofy, right for natural-footers.

secondly - i suggest using silicone or araldite to patch up that hole. then maybe finish it off with sponge-rez over the top.

there is probably a better way (i've only ever done some minor repair work to my arsenal).

reeflingo
Grommet

Post by reeflingo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 pm

marty wrote:first of all - idiot, why plug in the middle?
plug according to your DK stance, i.e. left side if your goofy, right for natural-footers.

secondly - i suggest using silicone or araldite to patch up that hole. then maybe finish it off with sponge-rez over the top.

there is probably a better way (i've only ever done some minor repair work to my arsenal).
ive always plugged in the middle, so many others do to.

thanks for the ideas with fixing the hole though

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Selleys All Clear has done the trick for me with rails and shite peeling off.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

pooshkie
regular

Post by pooshkie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:52 pm

wack some hot water wax in it and sheall be right :D
haha thats all i did to my board but then again i dont really look after my board after its been in the rocks a few times, the stringers almost pocking out the bottom from drops, i somehow have a diagonal crease which i didnt even think was possable and to top it off my dog ate half the left nose.
still gets me air and barrels so im not complaining

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:57 pm

yer the all clear is a good suggestion. Fill it in with that leaving it filled just below the surface. let it dry, then take some al-foil from the kitchen. Place it over the hole, take mums red hot iron and then carefully use the tip to fuse the deck pieces around the hole back together, re sealing the deck. Hopefully.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:24 pm

The Dan wrote:yer the all clear is a good suggestion. Fill it in with that leaving it filled just below the surface. let it dry, then take some al-foil from the kitchen. Place it over the hole, take mums red hot iron and then carefully use the tip to fuse the deck pieces around the hole back together, re sealing the deck. Hopefully.
good advice ^^, whatever you do, dont use wax to fill the hole, as water will get in and on a hot day it will make a mess of your core. shelleys all clear is what i use in normal plug holes to stop water logging.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:34 pm

ive found with boogs liquid nails or a marine grade sealant [self explanitay] works the best. the bad thing about spong rez is that it eats the foam [it works but fusing the two materials together] and with a hole like that it might do more damage then it will prevent by eating around the hole

dude from wat u said above it sounds like u plugged the board from deck to the slick!? cuz how do u plug thru thhe slik and hit the bottom of the slik :shock: :? !?
reeflingo wrote:i thought i had hit the bottom of the slick
if u did plug your board that way u deserve to have hit the stringer :roll:
meant to go through slick first, dosent effect the lam between the slick and the core whihc is the most important bond in my mind. because if u delam the deck around the point of plugging the plug holds it in and keeps it sealed

fruitbowls
regular

Post by fruitbowls » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:21 pm

blu-tac and gladwrap.

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:58 am

i've always plugged from the top, i.e. through the deck first - slick last.
never had any problems.

Booger777
Grommet

Post by Booger777 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:12 am

Just leave it. All the boards these days are 100% waterproof

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Booger777 wrote:Just leave it. All the boards these days are 100% waterproof
thats a joke right?

Local

Post by 2260 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Hes right, if its polypropelene just leave it, if its dow just stuff as much blu-tac as you can in there or do what dan and marty have said.

Polypros dont get waterlogged.

huz
regular

Post by huz » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:25 pm

pps do get waterloged because i have had to leave mine in the sun to get water out before and it is a pp.

Local

Post by 2260 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:07 pm

NO , THEY DON'T.

Waterlogging is what happens to dow boards as the dow cell structure absorbs water, Polypros have a closed cell structure and dont absorb water.

And Huz rule #1 never leave your board lying in the sun

If you dont believe me ask gibbo or another shaper!

reeflingo
Grommet

Post by reeflingo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:14 pm

cheers fellers for all the info.

the board i got is 100% waterproof core...the hole is pretty minimal so yeah still pondering what to do

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:22 pm

2260 wrote:NO , THEY DON'T.

Waterlogging is what happens to dow boards as the dow cell structure absorbs water, Polypros have a closed cell structure and dont absorb water.

And Huz rule #1 never leave your board lying in the sun

If you dont believe me ask gibbo or another shaper!
They SHOULDN"T but they CAN- the water can get in between the joints and seals- its not actually penetrating the material- just stuck inbetween.

This has the potential to delaminate rails and slicks- so don't just leave it and yes- NEVER leave your board near a heat source.

Local

Post by 2260 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:39 pm

My original post said similar to what crooked said before i changed it, I dont call what crooked descriped as waterlogging as its removable, i call waterlogging what used to happen to the old Toobs and mez boards where they weighed a couple of kilo more than they should. But thats just me.

If you want to get it out, dont leave it in sun, the majority of water if it does get trapped , gets trapped along the stringer , so unplug , stand your board upside down overnight.