Best bodyboarding wave in the world?

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

best bodyboarding wave in the world?

pipeline
17%
Kirra(if it gets like before)
4%
chopes
No votes
Shark-island
46%
Aussie pipe
4%
Some indo/other island or similar spot- (eg-padang)
17%
newport wedge
13%

Total votes: 24

andycumo
Local
Location: anywhere thats shallow and hollow and uncrowded. ie; not sydney

Post by andycumo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:34 pm

why mention this n wedge?
i had totally forgotten about it until some kook mentioned it.
theres going to be alot more like me too.

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:42 pm

vortex wrote:Hmmm i'm with Alex B.

Boogers have a bad wrap for giving spots away, most of the time i believe its just because theyre impressionable young kids who care so much about being perceived as cool by their peers. Same old deal why they copy so much out of magazines such as shoelaces instead of finsavers, scissorpaperrocking in the lineup, and ratpacking in general. Still, it should be a stereotype we're trying to walk AWAY from.

It's like so many of us reach a point where we just give up on a spot. We just go, "Oh well its not a secret spot anyway so theres no harm in giving really obvious hints, or talking it up on the fu(king internet forgossakes!!". Think Shark Island, Blackrock, south coast wedge, Sedrands, Lovers, and countless other spots which you can literally watch RIGHT NOW as they get more attention than you can bear. Just this last year there has been more than a handful of awesome, awesome places to surf just blown out of the water (excuse pun).

No matter how well known a spot is, there is always someone who doesnt know about it. Combine this with the fact that more and more people are picking up boards and entering the water, and the ease of swell forecasting, and you have a recipe for crowded surfs with reduced epicity levels. I found myself pondering not too long ago whether Blackrock would receive the crowds it does were it not for the fact that it is also known as The Aussie Pipeline, and openly run in the mags. I implore you fellow riders, keep ya gobs shut!
i agree with vortex.

dont name the spots.

Local

Post by 2260 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:58 pm

i know what scissor paper rocking is but what has it got to do with the surf? are people actually doing this for their turn of wave?

chris_010
Local

Post by chris_010 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:11 pm

stoive wrote:
chris_010 wrote:. But i also love to watch outside fat takeoffs only for the wave to jack up 10m down the line. Makes for some insane drops into the pit etc.
Huge shark island does this on the sets, i was watching it during one of the huge swells, and i believe the footage is in about 3 bodyboarding movies, Alex Bunting or somebody took the outside take and got mowed down by the thickest island barrel ive ever seen
Ya island was pretty much what i was descibing. Can't think of a wave off the top of my head that is a combination of island and pipe. Sure there is, jus seeing it now. Easy takeoff to acid drop into barrel to end bowl. funfunfufnuf

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm

andycumo wrote:why mention this n wedge?
forgotten about it?
its effing everywhere.
wouldnt be so hasty in throwing kook around mate....

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:46 pm

marty wrote: n wedge!
its effing everywhere.
This is just what i was saying a bit earlier though. It may be everywhere, but its in even more places getting mentioned on here for some goobers to start sniffing around. Its a total argument of fallacy - "other people are talking about it, so theres no harm in me talking about it". Well ok, "some people kill others, so there cant be any harm in me killing someone".
2260 wrote:i know what scissor paper rocking is but what has it got to do with the surf? are people actually doing this for their turn of wave?
Oh i read about a recent iba comp (maybe pipe or island) where the four blokes in the heat were scissorpaperrocking to see who'd get the pick of first wave. Shortly after there was a totally random article, i think in Movement, about a world scissorpaperrocking comp in Brazil or somewhere. I failed to see the relevance at the time, but later while sitting in a 20-strong Blackrock lineup watched three little 16-17y.o. boogers paddle out into the lineup and start scissorpaperrocking over who'd get the first wave. I have to say, i was more than embarrassed.

It's kind of like chess. You can really enjoy the game, but at times be very ashamed by some of the stereotypes you find hanging around.
Last edited by vortex on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:54 pm

marty wrote:
andycumo wrote:why mention this n wedge?
forgotten about it?
its effing everywhere.
wouldnt be so hasty in throwing kook around mate....
Hehe, 'specially after last weeks rock rash........

not mentioning any names

snakes

mic
regular

Post by mic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 pm

Alex.B wrote:whats the deal with all you *** naming spots, so pathetic just shows your shitness at everything, you must be new to the sport and think you are cool for knowing a surf spot... sure these spots arent big secrets, but come on... just frustrating that one person can ruin it for so many... die

basically i dont hate standups anymore cause they cant ride good waves... they have to stick with their bad waves... i just hate ppl who show off their knowledge of surf spots and crowd shit up, grow up you idiots...

also suck my big one everyone
are you for f*cking real mate....would you class those waves in the poll as secret spots?? its a forum poll disscusing which of the waves are best for boogers,i cant see anyone rushing of over the other side of the world to surf them....& as far as ive read no one has named any real "secret spots" ...... so mate why dont you grow up & stop dribbling shit

mic
regular

Post by mic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:14 pm

Alex.B wrote:
, so pathetic just shows your shitness at everything,

as pathetic as impersonating one alex bunting
i remember reading that post too ...and your calling us pathetic :roll:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:50 pm

stanwell park...just kidding

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:25 pm

mic,

maybe the kid IS alex bunting? Or has a surname starting with B, and first name Alex. Did this ever occur? Why are we jumping to the assumption that he's trying to impersonate some clown? Did i miss something?

As for the places in the polls - yes, they were once secret spots. Not anymore, because people decide theyre no longer secret and can be yak yakked all the way to town and back. Besides, i dont believe it was necessarily the poll spots that some of us were getting upset about, more about the sly tips and names being dropped about other spots that are on the rise. Heck, pretty soon we might start seeing them in the poll and people like you telling us things like, "Hey its not a secret spot so who are you kidding we will talk about it all we want. Anyone need directions"?

When do we actually draw a line in the sand and say, "Hey, we're surfers and we like uncrowded waves"?

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:57 pm

marcus wrote:stanwell park...just kidding
funny how stanny gets packed out when its 3-4ft. but when its 4-6ft+ its deserted and all the tough guys are hanging @ the lookout.

i've had plenty of good surfs out there marcus. its convenient for the arvo (or garie) and i'll take it over cronulla beachies..

Beets
regular

Post by Beets » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:10 pm

hmm.
Last 2 big swells it was empty - tho i could see why, it didn't look too inviting.
Whitewater everywhere and shifting banks - The paddle out woulda been hell and once out, finding a takeoff spot to a makeable wave would have been almost impossible.
Yet to see it epic :P

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:21 am

vortex wrote: Took a blokes nose clean off a few years ago, only just hanging on.
. . . . .
That... doesn't make sense..

fong

Post by fong » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:10 am

willie wrote:
. . . . .
That... doesn't make sense..
it's coming :shock:

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:59 am

yeh does not handle that big Beets.

that'd be pinnacles guard. seen some very pipe'esque photos of it.

alex
Grommet

Post by alex » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:28 am

its missing fronton aka yellowbirds in that list. Left/right huge ramps, chope style and definitely just bodyboarding.

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:40 am

marty wrote:
Alex.B wrote:, so pathetic just shows your shitness at everything,
as pathetic as impersonating one alex bunting?
i think theres a lot of people with the name Alex B out there marty, but then again he probably is impersonating...