stringers

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

dez
Grommet

stringers

Post by dez » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:30 pm

anyone knowif u can get a stringer put into your board??
a bloke up the coast said sum factories will do it
if so how the f**k!?

SpoNgeR_69
regular

Post by SpoNgeR_69 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:47 pm

i dun even think thats possible ey
I would surf too if i couldnt bodyboard

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:35 am

ive been trying to get manta to do it for me for a while now. and no luck.

i have been looking at ways of doing it myself, but depending on the core material i think there are different ways of doing it.
like if you use a drill / boring bar it can tear the core, but maybe using a hot rod and poking it down there.

luke fisher once stuffed a concrete reo bar down his board, it was so funny, you couldnt bend the board, and it was so heavy.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

maddog
regular

Post by maddog » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:33 pm

whats a stringer

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:17 pm

a stringer is the thin piece of timber that runs down the centre of most fibreglass boards eb shortboards, mals etc...

anyone see on tv some time ago they had made fibreglass bodyboards? i reckon theyd suck. ya might be able ta put a stringer in one of them but...

SpoNgeR_69
regular

Post by SpoNgeR_69 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:09 pm

yer...most bodyboards have stringers too..not just fibreglass 1's.
this is the bodyboarding forum..._cant_touch_this not the
stand up 1

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:17 pm

waddya mean? im talking about bodyboards and thats the idea isnt it?

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:03 pm

Ahh, dez mate! :) your probably better to get a board which already has a Stringer in it rather than get one put in as you'd have to take the board apart that mean's rip all the material's put it in and re-glue it thus even getting a decent glue job you'd probably have to strip the old glue and after all of that your board will probably go like shit and would cost more than the 04 BZ Hubb Graphic's ie ($600+)

Stringers are Carbon Fibre rod's placed in the center of the board they create durability, Strength and Flexibility as this a good feature of the board as the Stringer is very lightweight, normally prone board's have one stringer and Drop-Knee has two stringer's

Cheers Fella's!

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:45 am

i can do it, its easy, i used to pull apart boards and fix them at manta, just need some contact glue and a heat gun (up to 300*c), oh and a piece of material for the tail piece.

the hard part is drilling the core out to put the carbon fibre rod down inside.

and ctt a bodyboard stringer is a piece of carbon fibre rod, like a fishing rod that is inside the bodyboard core.
i find they usually snap where the elbow line is.

to take an old one out, you have to take the tail piece off really neatly with a knife or air gun, pull out the little wadding in the hole, then stick a blob of bluetac on a coat hanger and put that down the stringer, pull back and the old one should slide out, In two pieces.
thats if its not glued in.

its really easy to put a tail piece on, but from what i understand, the factories cant be bothered helping you, more interested in mass production, but if you have a hot air gun (like an industrial hair drier), i can show you.
just need a way of drilling the hole at the moment.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:52 am

you know whats funny,i thought i had a cool invention in high school (91) of using carbon fibre stringers, and ricco and the other island guys all laughed at me, said youd break your ribs on landing an air. (we didnt know that bz had been doing it for years). haha, everyone wants them now..last laugh.
i always give rissole a reminder about that when i see him and we pay out each other.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:20 pm

yer i know guard, i was talking about stringers in general - like in surfboards :wink:

SpoNgeR_69
regular

Post by SpoNgeR_69 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:42 pm

_cant_touch_this wrote:waddya mean? im talking about bodyboards and thats the idea isnt it?
you have no idea..

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

so what sponger, im here ta learn. i used 2 ride a lid and wanna keep up ta date with whats going on in the world of bodyboarding. take a chill-pill dude....

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:11 pm

Question for ya Marcus, (or anyone else who can answer),

Bought a new 4P board and poped in the plug. I have a bad feeling it's too close to the stringer, is this going to be a problem do ya reckon? As in weakening anything or such?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:46 pm

nah shouldnt be a problem unless you drilled through the stringer or right next to it and the plug is down close to the elbow.
it would have a tiny bit of an effect on stress concentration, but nothing for your average rider to worry about.

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:36 pm

You calling me an 'average rider' huh?!!!

stuart900

Post by stuart900 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:20 pm

if you have a light coloured board, you can see the stringer by holding the board up in the sunlight. i cant see how it would weaken the board by having the plug too close. maybe....

i have heard of some guys in the USA putting aftermarket stringers into bodyboards, altho i think it would probably be a pretty messy job. you'd need a really long drill i think

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:47 pm

no i meant unless your the sort of person that surfs waves large enough for the plug to be ripped out of the board (happend once to me with a gyrol plug, and heard macca had the same thing happen at g land)
or you get stressies around your plug area, but it doesnt happen very much, and those old gyrol plugs had a small diametre.

one guy i know put his plug too close to the nose and it ripped off the corner of his board, but it was rediculously close.

i could go into it in a boring engineering type disscusion on stress concentration and bending moments and all the, but i dont think a plug 2-3cm away from the rod is going to do any damage at all, unless your out teahpoo and let your board go over the falls.