Keeping fit

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

clownshoes
regular

Keeping fit

Post by clownshoes » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:41 am

So its been flat fer numerous weeks and you realise your a bit out of fitness, your first surf back and your outta breath after what, 3 sets caught on the inside? You think geez i lost alot of aerobic capacity in a month!

Just a thread about what you guys do to stay fit ie run, ride, swim etc.
Personally, i run every now and then and sometimes do a few laps down at pool. Also do some strength endurance crap (ie low weight, high reps) which helps in those extra long sessions

so yeah, got anything interesting to add about what you do every now and then - would love to hear it :)

Cheers

JaxonB
regular

Post by JaxonB » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:39 am

I stretch all my muscles every day. And i play touch footy and thats a big workout. I just do other things like skating which can keep me fit. Oh and i drink water :D

ev
Grommet

Post by ev » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:52 am

I've just had few sessios back from injury (been out for like 3 months) and it was onli small but i struggled bit time.. have lost alot of fitness over those months and it doesnt help onli being able to paddle with one leg but o wel!!

cheers, ev

Lidder
charger

Post by Lidder » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:01 am

JaxonB wrote:I stretch all my muscles every day. And i play touch footy and thats a big workout. I just do other things like skating which can keep me fit. Oh and i drink water :D
Same, and i bike heaps (mainly to chek out spots or chiks on the beach) i never go to the Gym but.....

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:09 am

Swim 3kms, 3 times per week + do underwater breathing exercises.

Pilates 3 times per week, once I have the moves down pat, I'll go back to the gym & jog a few kays as well.

snakes

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:10 am

one average hold down followed by a couple of duckdives and one desperate dive to the bottom is all it takes me to feel like im about to drown from lack of breath. if i start freaking out that im out of breath it only makes it worse.
If im going to the beach a lot, i don't do any other fitness (apart from touch footy once a week), but during uni i don't do the beach much so sometimes i go for a 30 minute jog.
snakes wrote: do underwater breathing exercises.
you can breath underwater? awesome :lol:

HAL
Grommet

Post by HAL » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:31 am

downhill mountain biking, not only is it a fully involved physical sport but it tones your mind and also gives you as much of a rush as you may desire. hitting epic berming flowing trails is second only to nice round barrells. gyms for wankers, running endless kilometres is fucked for your knees and swimming is boring. spearfishing is also good for working your lung capacity and getting comfortable under water.
talk is cheap

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:46 am

macca202 wrote:
snakes wrote: do underwater breathing exercises.
you can breath underwater? awesome :lol:
Yeah, I got my GP to transplant a set of gills from this snapper that a caught last weekend hey :lol:

It looks a bit weird a first, but the benefits outweigh the negatives :D

snakes

descendant
Grommet

Post by descendant » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:49 am

well, as a personal trainer here are some awesome tips to getting and keeping fit for bodyboarding, (me and another bodyboarding trainer designed this program to help with fitness)

For the not so serious:
-Stretching for at least 20 minutes a day will help your muscles deal with big sessions
-Anything that helps strengthen your torso is good, running, sit ups, push ups, cycling etc.
- eating reletively well also helps, ie- dont eat junk everyday... maybe like once a week or twice if u have to.

For the more serious:
-Stretching 30 minutes a day.
-get an exercise ball and work on training your body up to be strong and felxible.
-cross-training = running etc etc. as above but more seriously.
-a good diet helps a lot, not crap, fruits and grains make ur body dtrong
-swimming even when it is flat (even in winter) and staying under water as long as possible helps with breathing
-and learning to be calm even if ur getting smashed under water also helps with ur level of lung capacity. (adreneline - ie frekingout uses more oxygen than relaxing)

want anything else post it on here and ill try and get to it :lol:
Popeye's chicken is the SHIZZNITZ!!

clownshoes
regular

Post by clownshoes » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:35 pm

do underwater breathing exercises
hey snakes, what type of exercises do ya do? im interested coz im seeking to increase my lung capacity

Also, do you guys ever swim laps with yer fins on? do you think its pointless or beneficial, considering your working the same muscles (with fins) as you would be if you were out surfing a session

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:51 pm

clownshoes wrote:
do underwater breathing exercises
hey snakes, what type of exercises do ya do? im interested coz im seeking to increase my lung capacity

Also, do you guys ever swim laps with yer fins on? do you think its pointless or beneficial, considering your working the same muscles (with fins) as you would be if you were out surfing a session
Hey clownshoes :D

With lap swimming, I do 1k without flippers
1k with flippers, but not using my legs (i.e. not kicking) on the back 50
1k breaststroke (with flippers)

Oh yeah, doing laps in a 50 metre pool is much harder than a 25 metre pool. Also tumble turns help increase your lung capacity & aerobic ability.

Underwater breathing exercises - I just do the "dolphin swim" as far as I can, come up for 4 breaths then back down again & repeat until I feel like I am going to pass out (be careful kiddies, don't try this on your own :!: ) Having been a smoker for 10 years + asthmatic means I can usually only hold my breath for about 20-30 seconds at best :evil:

snakes

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:16 pm

descendant wrote: -and learning to be calm even if ur getting smashed under water also helps with ur level of lung capacity. (adreneline - ie frekingout uses more oxygen than relaxing)
Great post Descendant, this last one I think is the most important. You can train as much as you can, but if you do get into a situation, learning not to panic is probably the most important thing. There's nothing wrong with being scared, I find that if its a while since the last big swell, my heart beats a little harder & the butterflies get the stomach going hehe.

If you do get smashed by a big set or caught inside, DON'T PANIC!

Close your eyes, & try to relax (yes I know this may be hard - it does take a bit of practice), just keep your mouth closed and wait until the washing machine effect is over, then open your eyes & try to work out which way is up. If you're not sure, use your leash - your board will generally come up quicker than you will. Once back up on the surface, take as many deep breaths as you can. Assess the situation, where are you & how do you get out of the impact zone. If you are starting to feel out of your depth, its better to paddle in than to have to be rescued :idea:

snakes

taucher
Grommet

Post by taucher » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:12 pm

can ne one give me exercises to help improve lung capicity

me
Grommet

Post by me » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:38 pm

when your holding your breath underwater keep moving as you will very rarley/never be in a situation in the surf where you are motionless. Also start small and work your way up. As your lungs are not actually a muscle they do not markedly increase in size with training unlike say ,my guns :D JJKS, its your ability to train your body to need less oxygen to function that allows you to stay under longer

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:03 pm

taucher wrote:can ne one give me exercises to help improve lung capicity
stop breathing :!: :shock: :lol:

snakes

JaxonB
regular

Post by JaxonB » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:10 pm

HAL wrote:downhill mountain biking, not only is it a fully involved physical sport but it tones your mind and also gives you as much of a rush as you may desire. hitting epic berming flowing trails is second only to nice round barrells. gyms for wankers, running endless kilometres is **** for your knees and swimming is boring. spearfishing is also good for working your lung capacity and getting comfortable under water.
yep im the same, im not into bein a gym junkie or anything like that, i do exersice cos its fun i make it fun so i enjoy it so i dont get bored of it and see it as a chore, but more something fun to fill in time, and an added bonus is i get fit. my advice to any1 out there wanting to get/keep fit is find something u enjoy that will challenge you and make u push urself further, the main thing is enjoy it cos then u will stick at it :)

my 2c

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:28 pm

I love my gym work but havent been last 2 weeks as uni break and I am sick. But ill be hitting it hard on tuesday....

I do Ninjutsu once a week which helps with fitness and working some muscles i dont really use elsewhere..
On saturday my routine now is to surf in the morning and then at noonish or so I walk with my mate from his house to bondi, do the bondi to bronte walk and then head back to his.. it is a fair amount and takes about 2 hours at a reasonable pace! Also I play touch footy on sunday arvo.. 1 -2 hours of that and you frigged!!!

Otherwise recently now I just go into the park next door and kick a footie around, do some bombs and go for a walk... doesnt help at all but keeps you moving etc etc..

AS FOR EATING RIGHT.... BULLCRAP! BRING ON THE BEER AND THE SNAGS!!!

Oh and when i have a girlfriend i like to do some exercise with her too!!
:lol:

reeflingo
Grommet
Location: Where ever theres a sucky, hollow, perfect, peeling wave

Post by reeflingo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:48 pm

run you morons run like forest gump!!! :lol: :lol: