New Board

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

snakes
barnacle

New Board

Post by snakes » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a new board,specifically for bigger waves. I'm after some feedback as to what other people are riding & what they think of my suggestions.

I currently have a 4Play Rawlins 40.5 for smaller waves which I am happy with, but need something a bit longer to get into the bigger stuff. I'm 5'10" and weigh 75-80kgs. I need a board that is going to be able to take late drops (stringer mandatory) and hold its line (I prefer 50/50 rails & crescent tail with channels) Oh, yeah, gotta be fast :twisted:

The boards that I have researched are as follows

NMD - Winchester PPro 42" C-Tail
NMD - Ben Player PPro 42.25" C-Tail

4Play - Hardy PPro 42" C-Tail
4Play - Rawlins PPro 42.5" C-Tail

Manta - Lester PPro 42" C-Tail

BZ Hubb Fundamental Zero G Core 42" C-Tail

Rheopaipo Martin PPro 42.5" C-Tail
Rheopaipo Kingy PPro 42" C-Tail

Nomad Rouge PPro 42" C-Tail

Unknown Alex Bunting PPro 42" C-Tail

Let me know what you think. If you own any of the above boards I would be interested in your feedback - especially if you have ridden them in waves over 6-8 feet.

snakes

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:16 am

I have a Rawlins 39.5, great board and great for gaining speed in bottom turns. My problem is though i caught a couple at deadies yesterday - pulling off before it closed out on the inside section and i was gaining unbeleivably amounts of speed - probably as fast as you can go for a 39.5

In my opinion, its not the board, its the rider, and im sure you can actually gain the same amount of speed as the longer boards, just if you know how to. Long hard bottom turns and keep your feet out of the air :wink:

That said, deffinately get the HUBB 42.5, you see how much speed the guy gets :roll:
Ka ChInG !!!!!

HAL
Grommet

Post by HAL » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:27 am

Are you a zGeeker snakes?
talk is cheap

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:25 am

i used to ride a lester manta for bout 3 years n that was alrite, thought it was pretty good. last year changed to the 4play hardy u mentioned.. the difference is pretty crazy i noticed, actually took me a fair while to get used to it, but yeh neway, the speed u can get with it is pretty awesome...

i only bought it cuz it was the only red board there.. i know alot about bodyboards 8) i like pretty colours..

ooop, time to go

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:35 am

Hi Moneyman,

Thanks for the feedback

HAL, nope, I found that image on another forum & just shrinked it to use as my avatar.

snakes

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 pm

MS Beau Day 41.5...hands down.... sick board...

flip
regular

Post by flip » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:35 pm

had a rawlins 40.5 PP. But jus got a new QCD PE mus say PE's betta in winter its 41.2 and preety much same dimensions as the rawlins. It seems to hav an edge ova the rawlins. I recommend to ne1 get a QCD they rip it worth the 4-6 week wait 4 sure. I find PE betta in winter and PP better in autumn and summer

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:52 pm

flip wrote: I find PE betta in winter and PP better in autumn and summer
Hi Flip,

Can you explain why you find PE better in Winter & PP better in summer?

snakes

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:58 pm

snakes wrote:
flip wrote: I find PE betta in winter and PP better in autumn and summer
Hi Flip,

Can you explain why you find PE better in Winter & PP better in summer?

snakes
PP has naturally stiff properties and tends to get elbow dings in the side and creases where in the summer itl be warmer waters and therefore give the PP more flex whereas in winter itll make it stiffer and therefore a better chance to snap or crease...

PE more flexible and therefore the cold in winter will give it that extra stiffness with the added flex it already had...

hope thats a good description but theres prob more info others could give you...

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:39 pm

Cool thanks for that Stylefirst :)

If I'm getting a board that has a stringer in it, do you think it will make much difference whether I choose PE or PP?

Also which one is lighter, PE or PP?

snakes

clownshoes
regular

Post by clownshoes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:08 pm

PP, significantly lighter
do u ride more in winter or summer? in OZ, PP is ok in the winter anyway at least on the east coast - the water wont get much below 17degrees..if however u live in tas or vic, a PE board would be most suitable.

I've got a 4play polypro board, and i love it..the stiffness and lightness are ideal for speed and boosting - but then again its personal preference..many sydney summer riders still ride polyethylene boards
if ur talking big waves, id assume a slightly more flexible board would go alright, considering its got less chance of creasing/stringer snapping in the heavier stuff

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:40 pm

clownshoes wrote:PP, significantly lighter
do u ride more in winter or summer? in OZ, PP is ok in the winter anyway at least on the east coast - the water wont get much below 17degrees..if however u live in tas or vic, a PE board would be most suitable.

I've got a 4play polypro board, and i love it..the stiffness and lightness are ideal for speed and boosting - but then again its personal preference..many sydney summer riders still ride polyethylene boards
if ur talking big waves, id assume a slightly more flexible board would go alright, considering its got less chance of creasing/stringer snapping in the heavier stuff
I guess that since we get more bigger swells in winter, that I will be riding it more then. What about taking late drops / over the falls takeoffs or choppy conditions? Will a PP board be too stiff? Can you break boards with stringers?

snakes

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:53 pm

PE boards are better for making those later drops, purely because they are more flexible, but on the other hand PP boards can also be ok as they are lighter to drive off after making the drop, meaning you would possibly gain more speed, but making the drop would be alot harder.

I have personally never used PP boards, as i love my PE's. It's extremely easy making the drops, but getting drive off the bottom turn would as i imagine, is a lot harder compared to a PP.

You should deffinately be getting the HUBB if you had to choose out of them. If you have the cash, the HUBB graphic is probably the best board suited to your description, but of course, they cost alot of green.

moneyman
Ka ChInG !!!!!

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:40 pm

i forgot to add - going over chop with a PP or a PE board will feel most likely no different, the only difference you might feel is that PP boards are lighter, meaning that it would be slightly harder control - but i highly doubt this.
Ka ChInG !!!!!

flip
regular

Post by flip » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:56 pm

ye u can snap stringers. its preety hard but possible my mates done in down south but only 2 older more worn out boards that hav creases. I find PP too stiff in winter. But perfect in warmer months, PE works best 4 me in winter, cos I like fairly stiff board but still a bit of flex not 2 much tho.

Tilbaz
Grommet

Post by Tilbaz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:42 am

i just had a custom made up.....i believe it to be the fastest mopho of a board yet created.

for speed, i reckon a bat tail is a must. they work better in bigger waves anyway. but hey personal preference if your used to cresent stick to it.

go narrow, straight template. go a custom. then you get what you want. do some research on some of the factory made boards your interested in, find out their specs, have a look at em in a shop if you can. then shape up some specs and compare. stringer and mesh. mesh is good. i like mesh. stringers too.

homer rides a hubb, with vipers. saw him busting out springfield bowls the other day. hubb specs in a custom, maybe some slight mod?, save $$$
<-----break it down

christian
regular

Post by christian » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:14 pm

i ride a 42 alex bunting..
its an awesome board speed wise, my old board was a 4play element 41 and that went well but i find that the bunting holds alot better than the element due to the clipped tail but bat tails can also be good in bigger surf to gain more speed but would not allow you to hold as well..
a custom would be a good idea i rekon from unknown or qcd or even funkshen just make sure you do the right amounts of research though and get what you want..

Nicko
regular

Post by Nicko » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:33 pm

Snakes, I think you'd be best with a PP. PE eventually holds water and dies quicker than PP. PP is also really light, allowing for good speed to make sections in bigger waves.

I have ridden bats for about 5 years now and I don't see the need for a crescent. Basically you can do everything on a bat that you can on a crescent and you can spin or turn and launch on a dime. They take a while to get used to but they're worth the effort.

This is coming from someone who has ridden a bodyboard for 20 years. Initially crescents were the only option, but now I've had bat there's no turning back. They are fine for bigger waves - i've used PP bats in 8ft+ conditions in Indo, Hawaii and Oz (i.e. cold and warm conditions - not just telling you my travel itinerary for the sake of it).

Handling in those conditions is really a matter of harnessing speed and using it at the right time, rather than anything specifically to do with your equipment (although I think you're on the right track with a slightly longer board. I've got a CustomX 42.5 now and have ridden a BZ Player 41.5, Lester Comp 42 - crescent, NMD custom 42 Bat recently and all have gone well in solid conditions).

That's my 2 bobs worth anyway.