Wetsuits

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

Beets
regular

Wetsuits

Post by Beets » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:34 pm

Hey guys,

As the temps drop and the dawns come later, its starting to get obvious that winter isn't all that far away, and some preparation is needed.
I'm looking to get a steamer fairly soon - i was wondering what your opinions are on thickness, brand and anything else i should know before i go out and spend what will have to be a fair wad of cash...

sykout
Local

Post by sykout » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:55 pm

i tend to stick with rip curls right arm peak, however theres alot on the market. First wetsuit i ever got cost me 6 dollars and i used it for 3 and a half years. You don't have to spend all that much money. I got my current steamer for 180, and i am pretty satisfied with it

clownshoes
regular

Post by clownshoes » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:22 pm

hahaha shit yeah i was planning to start a post on this topic but beets beat me to it
-also need some advice on thickness, style brand prices etc..
mainly - who wears a long arm/short leg ? im leanin in that direction n about 3mm but can i get some feedback
brands too - should i investigate some boogin wetty brands or stick with the stand ups

sandonpoint

Post by sandonpoint » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:37 am

yes you should investigate someboogie brands, check out www.biarms.com.au, or dunes wetsuits. same quality but way cheaper price.

"turn the fear of the unknown into the exictement of the potential"

Lidder
charger

Post by Lidder » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:57 pm

Dunes steamers
not only are they the best wetsuits around they are an all bodyboarding brand definatly worth the money, or if you cant get one of them the oneill phyco ones are pretty good.

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:19 pm

depends where you're going to be surfing... around sydney or even the south coast a 3/2 steamer is fine. If you really feel the cold or go for long sessions get a sealed one. As far as brands go theyre all pretty good at the moment, ripcurl are a bit over rated though. I've worn billabong solutions and o'neil psychos and they are unbe-fukn-leivable, money well spent, you never want to get out of the water. good luck
"I wanna be on you"

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Aleeda are good. GHB is the steamer :)
very warm sometimes a bit to warm in mid winter ;)

Deadbolt
Local

Post by Deadbolt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Im getting a wetsuit for this winter too. Im down in Vicco so it gets fair cold, Ill need to hook myself up with some good thickness. Im thinking about getting a Dunes wetty, supporting the sport.

navy_speed_shop

Post by navy_speed_shop » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:04 am

i got a oneill about a year ago, i picked up a 4x3, without really thinking about it. ive been surfing for 7 years, and just started bodyboarding, now this keeps me toasty warm, but you lose alot of movement. not sure if this would be as big a problem for bodyboarding
as it is for surfing.

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:13 pm

a 3/2 sealed suit will keep you warm in new zealand... especially today with all the new technology its quality not thickness which keeps you warm... anyone ever tried those radiator wetties that are meant to be as light as a rashy and warm as a wetty??
"I wanna be on you"

sykout
Local

Post by sykout » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:33 pm

yeah meant to be, but there not

jam_freefall
regular

Post by jam_freefall » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:25 pm

I bought myself a zipperless steamer and a Wing Kiln vest a couple of years back. Surfing on the Central Coast I used to get too hot with both of them even in the middle of winter. It took about 10 duck dives before you would feel any water at all on your skin and then it was warm because your body heats it up real quick. Probably go alright down south where it is colder.

christopher
regular

Post by christopher » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:09 pm

been using a billabong oscillator for couple years.
didn't fit that great when i got it but fits perfect now and it is still a funny make. it fits perfect except for the arms - they were made like 2inches too long out of proportion with rest of suit.

besides that has been ok.

bought a s/a s/l springsuit the other day from triple bull surf factory outlet, xcel brand and is lightweight and 2mm. fits perfect and im expecting it to last me most of the months up till about june till october when ill wear my steamer when water is cold. then back in the springy untill next june except for peak summer temps when boardies are perfect.

was only $69 on sale.

kookmachine
Local

Post by kookmachine » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:14 pm

oneil 2/3 hammer
absolutley ripping in all areas
keeps you warm all winter and not ovenish-like so that it can be worn on cooler days in autumnn/spring

christopher
regular

Post by christopher » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:04 pm

kookmachine wrote: absolutley ripping in all areas
send it back and claim warranty.

clownshoes
regular

Post by clownshoes » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:55 am

who rides with a s/l l/a combo? That's what ive been thinking of, keeping the warmth in my arms and keeping the mobility in my legs, but is it really less mobile with a long legged steamer as a booger or is there virtually no difference?