Why is it so?

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Why is it so?

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Why is it that bodyboard sizing is very limited?
If you're a bigger guy who is no spring chicken anymore the bodyboard shops will all want you to ride the same size board as a guy half your age.
So I'm 47 yrs old, 90 kgs and 6'1" tall who's surfed for 30 years. Limited amount of bodyboard riding and I am struggling to catch waves on a 42" board.
No doubt a combination of factors, technique included but surely there is an answer.
Stand up surfing has so much variety in board length, width, thickness, planshape and so on.
I realise that the general rule of thumb for a board length is chin to top of knee but very few bodyboard makers give any info out on width, nose and tail dims and thickness.
Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

marcus
Owl status

Re: Why is it so?

Post by marcus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 am

you can get big guy bodyboards, maybe i should be riding one, but i wouldnt be used to it.
for g land i would prefer longer narrower for speed but less volume for duck diving.plus a few stringers for stiffness

http://www.662bodyboardshop.com/bodyboa ... oards.html

ask alex at 662, garth at solid or dez at emerald about big guy bodyboards.
garth is a pretty solid guy himself.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:03 pm

I dont think you need much of a bigger board. Im taller than you but have a 42" and a 41.5". Only weigh 80kgs, though. Maybe its your technique or if you are using a old dow core board during summer. It will get too flexy and will be hard to get on waves as it bends and twists under your bodys motions.

But generally, a smaller board with flex is good for being in control. All boards need flex. A big stiff boat might cause you to be slipping and sliding all over the shop.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

peter650

Post by peter650 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Bin the bodyboard.Get some plywood you will never go back to a bodyboard again.The other thing you might want to try is some viper flippers.The plywood will only just float,so you got to hold it out in front of you.Till you get onto a wave.I know that sounds like a PITA but you can catch 8inch slop with it if you want.With the same bit of plywood you can kick into a North Shore wave.Cut it out so its shaped like a bell.Wide part at the back so in big surf you can dig it in.