Progression in Bodyboarding

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

Re: Progression in Bodyboarding

Post by marcus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:44 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Never mind about me: let's see you standing up on those waves, that's my point
my brother does, yet you still give him shit.
i occasionaly give it a go.
i dont see your point.
i dont think you have one.
you come accross as just a smart arse arm chair critic.
i dont say i can ride a shortboard well, but i dont put shit on that surfcraft either.
never mind about you? why? im not the one in here putting shit on peoples choice of craft.
you dont have anything ever of value to say about anything surfing related.

you can turn it back on me if you like, you still come accross as a kook who doesnt know his shit.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:32 pm

is smnmntl a poseur or just a douche? i get his type at work- they are so certain of their ideals/knowledge (surfing, booging, wetsuits.. anything) that i hate telling them they are wrong because i know how shattered they will be.

The implied immunity from a forum, or the internet in general, must be all that keeps him from severely losing his shit. i wonder if he goes red when he knows he is wrong. maybe he is just 'that' friend that wanks to Shirley temple.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 pm

2nd Reef wrote:And I'll stand by my claim on wakeboarding: the single-most ridiculous past-time dreamt up in the detritus of 90's 'extreme' sports. It's a measure of our incessant ability to harness inanity that a 'sport' has evolved around it. A sport in which everything depends on a boat to create a wake to jump? For mine it's just a way for Jet-Pilot bogans to take their shirts off and display their bad tats and nipple piercing while playing Limp Bizkit loudly over the speakers of craft that are the marine equivalent of hotted up Torana's.

I'm not usually prone to sweeping statements but I'll make an exception for wakeboarders - wankers the lot of 'em, even those who do it one or twice a year (sometimes never)
It sounds like someone tried wakeboarding and couldn't get up?
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:02 am

^^^I'll have you know TMC that I am SHIT-HOT at wakeboarding.

Or at least I would be if I bring myself to do the silly tricks. Last time I was out 'boarding with my bro's I was just about to do a heelside raley with a method grab when I was told it was called a 'Hoochie Glide'.

I refrained from doing said move on principle.

Since then I've stood steadfast against pulling moves with ridiculous names: like the WhirlyDick, the Tweetybird, and the Discombobulator, which in case you don't know, is a wrapped heelside backroll with a frontside 540 and was invented by Dave "Tha Dawg" Reinhart.

These days I prefer just going straight and moving my body in subtle but clever ways; a sly wipe of the nose a la Lopez, a casual slip o' the hip, or waving like the Queen as I pass the lasses on the beach.

Going straight might seem boring, but at least there's no ridiculous name for it.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 am

what about sports with gay moves like a 'sushi roll'?
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:13 pm

forgetting about the name for a second, have u seen the move? it looks more like a douche holiday booger getting flipped at wavehouse than something pulled off by a pro surfer.

skateboarding demonstrated progression more than any other sport imo.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:29 pm

lambert wrote:skateboarding demonstrated progression more than any other sport imo.
Do you mean in a short period of time? or just overall? Because I think surfing could rival it when you take board design and the different forms of surfing into the equation.

Board desing in skating as changed very minimally with the exception of eurathayne (sp?) wheels, and a double kick.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:33 pm

BMX has demonstrated the most progression of any sport. From design to use.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:45 pm

yeah very good point coops, i was referring skateboarding from a performance perspective

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:48 pm

BMX has its limits. Now really the only innovative thing going is red bull elevation.

Skateboarding is constantly evolving and has so much more to go.

Id say they are probably on par over all though.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:17 pm

The skate board has seen little change. However the use of it from street to vert has exploded. BMX however has come from the humble bicycle. Such an amazing amount of change has followed. Its a machine and in this case, has many more moving parts. These have been refined and tinkered with for a long time. You can do more grinds and more aerials variations on a BMX than skating and being all terrain, you can ride pretty much anywhere, plus your acceleration output is more efficient than skating. I really like both sports and rode both, but BMX takes the cake.
------------

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Coops@DY wrote:The skate board has seen little change. However the use of it from street to vert has exploded.
Depends when you started. I started in 1986 - the boards back then (single kick 10" x 30"), are nothing like the twigs today (paddle pop shape became widely used around 1992). I currently ride square tailed double kicked bowl boards - http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=p ... ail&p=9484
The late seventies and 80's was all about vert. Street was something you did on the way to the vert (emulate vert tricks on gutters). Most trick names are from vert skating.
Coops@DY wrote:These have been refined and tinkered with for a long time. You can do more grinds and more aerials variations on a BMX than skating ....
We'll never agree on that one 8)
Decks can be flipped and spun whilst not attached.

I don't mind watching good bmxing, but some of those kids are w@nkers to deal with (yeah skaters too).

Do we all agree that rollerblading and scootering is extra f@g with a d1ldo on top?
If it feels good, do it.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:58 pm

A ha yes, but in BMX you can spin the frame into multiple tail whips (check this triple)forward and downside plus the bars and you can maneuver all round the frame with every combination. Some of the shit they are doing on dirt now is ridiculous. They're going so big, its so exciting to watch. I love both sports and still follow them today.
------------

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Spinner has done a quad tailwhip.

I still think bikes have more limits, especially the contest formats (apart from elevation). I remember Cam white talking about it how they can only go so far with the current format and he wasnt to see more good tricks on crazy jumps not crazy tricks on avg jumps.

Thing is with skating add in all the variations of flip tricks, into/our of grinds / manuals etc, there is then which, nollie, fakie etc. IMO skating just has so much more to it in that sense.

But then biking in general you have downhill, those hard tails (pretty much bigger bmx's) and trails etc. Ive got a few mates who ride, a couple who really shred.

SURFFOILS.AU

Post by SURFFOILS.AU » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Progression in bodyboarding will come about the way it did in standup boards, thru changes in design.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:18 am

SURFFOILS.AU wrote:Progression in bodyboarding will come about the way it did in standup boards, thru changes in design.
Not much more to design on a bodyboard. The shape can't be tweaked too much, so it'll have to be materials. These new materials will have to hit the limitations of bodyboarding head on. That is speed, landing giant air moves and riding giant faces eg Jaws etc.

With surfing they had so much to work with. A giant, wooden bohemouth of a board with a single fin. They pretty much halved its length, experimented with multiple fins and channels and changed the materials completely. Now its more maneuverable than ever. I guess the quest for maneuverablity gave birth to the knee board. And possibly, along the same path birthed the bodyboard. So you could see the sport of wave riding on boards a single linear, where the bodyboard is the most refined or minimal board design for wave riding.
------------

SURFFOILS.AU

Post by SURFFOILS.AU » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

Yeah I can see what youre saying about the evolution of surfboards but that hasnt really happened with BBs, yes the BB design is minimalist, the materials suited to all ages and skills but BB design is yet to evolve forward. If surfboards had stayed the same solid wooden logs they were 100 years ago then surfing wouldnt have become so popular, the same with the car, they have to bring out "amazing new advancements" each year to keep the market interested.
I agree that materials will be the way because then different designs are possible but I dont think many riders will give up the comfort of the soft sponge. If boards were made in fibreglass they would have more cred in the lineup and the boards could have more aggressive designs like hard edge channels and true concaves but I think hard boards wont suit a lot of recreational riders who prefer a softer ride and safety of foam.
So if the general materials stay the same theres no a lot to honestly promote as "new" or pregression, even if the current shape is well suited to the job.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Well they can do a fibreglass bottom with a pe deck. I got an ATD with a couple of thin fibreglass coats on the bottom. Pretty fast but the core was way too stiff. Needed a very warm bath or used in equatorial waters.
------------