Progression in Bodyboarding

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

Nicko
regular

Progression in Bodyboarding

Post by Nicko » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:34 pm

I saw this thread in the general area, and thought it would be good to start a discussion about it as it relates to bodyboarding, as it's consumed my thoughts a little over the past couple of months. Recently I've noticed in most bodyboard media the focus on huge airs, reverses etc. and the desire for pros to charge bigger and bigger waves. Personally (and I must admit to being over 30 here) I'd like to see a bit more of a return to what I might term 'normal' bodyboarding, i.e. riding waves in conditions and in a way that the majority of bodyboarders can relate to.

Don't get me wrong; I like watching people tuck into mutant death kegs and boost monster airs. I just think there's a place for watching people enjoy what the majority of us can reasonable aspire to doing. I'm pushing myself into larger waves and trying bigger moves in line with my own skill level, but I think the whole pro scene may have gone a bit far. Perhaps we could intersperse it with some early Rawlins-style carves, a Ross Hawke roll or some Kavan Okamura bottom turns once in a while. That way we can see more of the crazy stuff that interests us, but also view some of the moves and waves that we could all aspire to.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:33 pm

....................................................................... :roll:

longhurst
Grommet

Post by longhurst » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:56 am

who is this guy? nyways back to the future
Youll only be young once... get out their and enjoy it!

rex
regular

Post by rex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:33 pm

yeh they could have a section for gigantic waves and huge airs and a section for everyday fun stuff (but not groveling), or amateurs and pros

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:52 pm

yeah, most modern surf films - booger and stand-up - are dull and repetitive.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

bonusbeats wrote:yeah, most modern surf films - booger and stand-up - are dull and repetitive.
Brain snappingly original thoughts there. Can I nominate you for the Ignobels?

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:52 pm

puurri wrote:
bonusbeats wrote:yeah, most modern surf films - booger and stand-up - are dull and repetitive.
i take it that has something to do with iguanas.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 pm

bonusbeats wrote:
puurri wrote:
do a google or wiki eh?

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:17 am

puurri wrote:
bonusbeats wrote:
puurri wrote:
do a google or wiki eh?
i'm quite familair with the Ig Nobel Prize -- they're a staple of middle-brow magazines and tabloid-style televsion programs. I'd just never heard of the "Ignobels".

SURFFOILS
regular

Re: Progression in Bodyboarding

Post by SURFFOILS » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:49 pm

I also ask wheres the progression in BBing??
Its the reason why the sport is quietly passing away instead of booming.

But what to do ...?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:11 pm

I dont see how you think its passing away? Because eppo isnt el rollo-ing his way onto el paso packages anymore??

If you took your blindfold off and looked around you would see it is booming, from riding big waves (with critical sections not some full white capping 40ft mound) to bigger tricks.

Mind if i ask where surfing has gone since the 80's? People were doing airs back then, people were doing turns back then, people rode big waves back then. Tom Carrol's snap at pipe would be as big of a move as it was back then now. Nothing really has changed accept for the shape (even though people are going all 'retro' on things...). Hell even one of the most important things (fins) have hardly changed, glass ons still > anything else.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Revolution wrote: glass ons still > anything else.
really? the ability to change foils, sizes and flex profiles with the twist of a tiny screw is one of the best things that has happened to surfing imo (epoxy is up there)

as many have said, surfing has really not come along way in the last few decades- is this why we are seeing a resurgence of twins/quads and even single fins? its something that most people out there these days haven't experienced and this is allowing most of your modern day thruster bashing sticks to get a different perspective on the sport they love and if you blame them that you should die... its the exact same with skating and your groms and what not bashing around 24" single kicks..

stabbing in the dark here but i will we be seeing boogers having a bash on mats? hell, after watching sprout and the innermost limits to pure fun in one sitting (2 excellent movies btw) i ordered in a rubber surfoplane and its the most fun i've had in the last 6 months considering the constant grovel we've had up here ..

to be entirely honest i really can't see much more happening with bbing in terms of riding and board development (but we need more rear set stringers in stock boards!!)and the core elements of the sport are never gonna change so what are we gonna do? progression is dwindling there is no doubt about it but its inevitable :?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:39 pm

^^^

Is anyone able to predict progression? Say 20 years ago someone told you what boogering you be like (performance wise) now you would call instant bullshit imo.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:57 am

well like you could say, in 5 years people are gonna be pulling 720s but the waves aren't gonna change, the human body isn't gonna change and im sure as hell a new type of core aint gonna give you an extra roration..

but yeah calling that shit is near impossible.. surfmats are the way of the future!!

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 pm

i think that the sport of BBing hasnt progressed its equipment, so its deadly boring unless youre already hooked.
Its like holding the Bathurst 1000 with FJs, consumers need to be constantly reminded that there are new products to improve their performance and enjoyment like the way they do with new surfboards, and fins and all the other surfing ephemora.

BB makers just come up with some new, largely invisible techno mod.
And that is just not good enough to keep the punters interested.
There was an accident involving an overweight balding middle aged man.
Are you OK ??

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:55 pm

I dont see what small joy you get from wasting your hate on people who just want to discuss their own way of surfing ?
Its quite apparant whos the fly with little life left in him.
Go away you sad little man.
Are you OK ??

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:33 pm

I've contemplated riding a booger (mates old manta), for when my wrist gets better and gentle rehab for getting back on the REAL board.

If i go ahead, this will be a very embarrassing time in my life. I will feel like i'm letting man kind down. Dino would tease me and i'd have to agree... I may even relate well with Graemesaur...

Sorry team, but it might be only for a few weeks.

In those few weeks, i would probably become pro at it (because i ride a surf board, it'll be really easy), and get heaps of Riptide exposure and endorsements from companies like Unite, No Friends and 4 Play.

To get me started, what's cooler - a 360 or barrel roll? (Together it's an ARS right?).

Man, i'm gunna rip!
If it feels good, do it.

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Deesee wrote:..... for when my wrist gets better.....
Hmmmmm ??? :oops: :oops:

No , youre embarrassing urself by being a childish pest .

Instead of being such a gutsy, blokey, hairy chested-hero by ruining well meaning threads and damaging the appeal of the this forum and the work of the people who run this site, why not go for a surf and consider what real men do to add something to the world rather than piss on it from a keyboard.

"I often wonder how people spread hate through a supposed loving ideology"- Quote from- DEESEE .
Are you OK ??