Nazi's in Sheep Clothing

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

vert
Grommet

Nazi's in Sheep Clothing

Post by vert » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:21 pm

you may have read this already but im pritty sure there are people out there who havent....

"Why is there no money in our sport?", "Why do all the surf shops put bodyboarding off in the corner?", "Why is it, that bodyboarders can't get any big sponsors?" These are just a few of the complaints going around in our sport. You want to know what the reason is? You, the bodyboarder, so stop your whining. You, who wear your Volcom, Hurley, Quiksilver, O'niel, Rip Curl, etc. You are all hypocrites. The reason our sport has gone down the drain is the major clothing and shoe sponsors have finally realized how stupid we all are.

I am calling out everyone here and I feel nothing. First the pro's are you not willing to sacrifice just a little to, maybe, get to a place where we could earn some serious cash. Some of you even go against your contractual agreements wearing product from other companies that don't sponsor you. FOOLS. Take off those labels that put your sport down every chance they get. Next to the general consumer, that's all of us. I was recently in South Africa and saw how big the bodyboarding scene was, remember that's moms, dads, sisters, brothers, grandma and grandpa etc… All kitted out in non-bodyboarding, actually anti-bodyboarding apparel. Your kids, parents or family members sport is being jeopardized by you not supporting the companies that support the sport that you, your mate or family member enjoys and or competes in. Please help.

A while back I got to talk to a major clothing company representative. I asked him why he puts no money back into bodyboarding when so many bodyboarders buy his product. His answer was "Those kooks buy our product anyway so why sponsor anyone or put any money into their contests." Then he blew me off. Can't you see what is happening? I have an example I always like to use in cases like this, to make it hit home. Any bodyboarder buying or wearing one of these anti-bodybording company's brands is like a Jew, back in the time of the Nazi's, buying or driving a Volkswagen car. The car made by the people that are killing you. You are putting the money in their pockets to further their tyranny. For years now these companies have advertised against and helped fuel the propaganda machine that is anti-bodyboarding. So every pair of shoes or shirt you buy helps to fund their adverts and propaganda.

You might say that me buying a shirt or cap here and there makes no difference. Hell no, don't you realize that whenever you buy something you cause a chain reaction. Someone likes what you have and therefore goes and buys one too, and so on and so on. You are often walking bill-boards advertising for those companies.

I have heard all the excuses too, "but bodyboarding companies don't make cool clothing or any shoes". Yes, I agree with them, the only companies with anything worthwhile right now in are guys like, No Friends, Rejected, Grand Flavour etc… I have also heard people say that it's hard to come by or out of date in the stores. The fact of the matter is it is going to take sacrifice in the beginning to get our selves out of the hole we have dug for ourselves.

Imagine the reaction we would get if every bodyboarder in the world and including South Africa said screw you to those big name brands. Someone would take notice. Start removing labels from the cloths you have already and for the love of 'God' throw away your T-shirts that is blatant advertising for those companies. Start shopping at Salvo's for no-name brand stuff, or non-sports related company's brands. First off this is cheaper and you can get pretty good stuff. Then start mocking your mates or people who wear those large corporations products. Lets start a revolution! The stories I could tell of the numerous companies who have bared me just cause I was a bodyboarder. It is blatant racism in a way. They hate us just cause we bodyboard, well I say screw them. I will not give them another dime. Lets force one of them to support us, or loss our sales. This will also give way for companies like No Friends or a new company to become like Volcom so we can have our fair share of support. Aren't you fed up with the pro surfers/skaters getting money that should be going into better contest or sponsoring more riders in bodyboarding. Australia has started the revolution with their four clothing companies like Invert, Rejected, No Friends and Tension making pretty sick clothing and shoe companies like Human Shoes even making signature model shoes for bodyboarders.

Please guys and girls, lets come to the realization before it's to late. There are thousands of us and we can make a huge difference. Lets hit them where it hurts the most, in the pocket. Thanks for listening

PEACE.
GOD BLESS
BRANDON FOSTER

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Perhaps it's the other way around. Perhaps bodyboarding is doomed because it's swallowed the bait. Perhaps you're just part of a bigger picture sport like surfers, longboard riders, SUPpers, etc, and you've failed -- just like the major surf companies -- to grasp that and work with it.

You can't possibly expect to be a subculture within a subculture and be a vast financial or cultural boon to anyone.

Especially if one of the defining points of the sub-sub-culture is fear and hatred of the way things truly are.

The result of that approach is that nobody outside the very small core of bodyboarding aficionados even knows anything about any of you. That's fine, if you're really only in it for the kick of doing it. But as a basis for an industry, a culture, all that stuff, it's empty space.

Here's a reality check. Surfing -- of any kind -- is no longer a new way of living in any western society. There's nothing left to invent. It's not a mystery to anyone any more. It's a recreation to most and an obsession to a few. It's not about to be re-defined to any great effect. Everyone -- surfer or non-surfer -- knows what it is and where it sits in the cultural scheme of things.

You want to re-invent yourself, you better do it within the generic surfing context first.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 am

IT DOESN'T HELP that your role models

i.e king ( and theres no alledged here...his guilty- been b4 courts -guilty theiving cu.nt he is)....are thiefs

i mean sure theres no money in pro boogie boarding

but when your big name KING

IS LITTLE MORE IN REAL LIFE THAN A theif

AND GOT BE CAREFULL WALKING DOWN HIS OWN HOME TOWN STREETS IN THE DARK :x

FOR THE REST HIS LIFE

how can u...as he... as your best...even ask for respect let alone demand it :shock: :!:

yeah....u don't read about this shit in....riptidegirl....do u :?:

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:37 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
You can't possibly expect to be a subculture within a subculture and be a vast financial or cultural boon to anyone.
That's it in a nutshell right there.

Money talks, Bullshit walks.

And that's a whole BIG pile of bullshit written there. Bodyboarders are like Jews under the Nazis.........???

:shock: :roll: :shock:

You guys are kidding.....

vert
Grommet

Post by vert » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:51 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:IT DOESN'T HELP that your role models

i.e king ( and theres no alledged here...his guilty- been b4 courts -guilty theiving cu.nt he is)....are thiefs

FOR THE REST HIS LIFE

how can u...as he... as your best...even ask for respect let alone demand it :shock: :!:

thats pritty heavy....

how did u find out about that?

wat did he steal?

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:44 pm

some lobsters i think .. look vert, get a room with 20PSI and fuck this silly idealism out of each other once and for all ok?!

Hozameen

Post by Hozameen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 pm

While I agree with what was said Vert.

When I think about it all, I just think fuck it.

Its a shame, a shocking shame but its unavoidable, like breathing.

But its the young ones you see. They dont want to go to school in a lightning bolt jumper from lowes, they gotta have a macking Billabong jumper like Andy or Hardy. I remember when I was first going to school I didnt want to wear the lightning bolt, I do now, now that im not a kid and can make that decision.

I dont purchase any real surf branded gear. Not because I turn my back on my sport, but because I think its all a wank. Billabong, and the likes, can keep there squiggly lined collared shirts, they scare the shit out of me.
No matter whos clothing I buy. Its all business. Its only going to be lining someones pocket, or pockets. I try not to think of it really.

All this preaching makes me wonder if religion is looking to purchase surfing? Maybe that was Judah in the Hurley Jumper?

Educate, don't instigate. The kids will learn there way.
Here's a reality check. Surfing -- of any kind -- is no longer a new way of living in any western society. There's nothing left to invent. It's not a mystery to anyone any more. It's a recreation to most and an obsession to a few. It's not about to be re-defined to any great effect. Everyone -- surfer or non-surfer -- knows what it is and where it sits in the cultural scheme of things.
Its Armageddon Nick?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:45 pm

are you saing bru wrote that or your saying you are brandon :?:

Support the companies, simple, there is some good shit out there, iamnone has some good stuff for going out, grand flavor, unite etc is all good. Another problem is to many people flooding the market with their shitty iBooger logos and shit on t-shirts. Not enough companies putting back into the sport who are taking money from it.

Yes it sucks that alot of guys have 2nd jobs, virtue is a rig pig, even nick omerod drives chinese delivery every night. But only once companies put back in will the sport progress more. You think australia is bad... check out europe there is riders who i would say can rival most aus pro,s but got no resources to progress even more.

vert
Grommet

Post by vert » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Revolution wrote:are you saing bru wrote that or your saying you are brandon :?:
brandon foster wrote it...

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:50 pm

i always liked the "skateboarding is not a sport" t-shirts.

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:02 pm

bit Francis F u kuyama nick? (had to do that cause it picked up his name as a cuss)

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:42 pm

FOR THE REST HIS LIFE

Mike Stewart, Tamega are our best hth

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:43 pm

FOR THE REST HIS LIFE

Then again your posters boys aka Bra Girls bas people + your Hawaiin enforcers. Thanks lol

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 pm

So how do professional lidders rate themselves on the thief index?

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:00 am

Didn't know there was a 'thief index' for professional lidders. If there is one, I'm pretty sure only Kingy would get a mention :wink:

It's like asking how do professional surfers rate themselves on the murder, drug-dealing, physical assault, general cockhead index because of the actions of the guys with the postcode tattoos.

Get over kingy ffs.. there are plenty of surfers who have done worse.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Cookie wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
That's it in a nutshell right there.

Money talks, Bullshit walks.

And that's a whole BIG pile of bullshit written there. Bodyboarders are like Jews under the Nazis.........???

:shock: :roll: :shock:

You guys are kidding.....
what do you mean you guys?
he is speaking for himself.
i dont want to be a part of any sub culture, i just like riding waves on any board. dont assume everyone who doesnt have blinkers on regarding surf equipment is some movement mag reading pimple faced kook into "the sport" of it.
Nick, i disagree with the subculture within a sub culture thing.
what about those of us who really couldnt give a rats if we are surfers or bodyboarders or whatever? couldnt give a hoot or know who who the current world champ is on any board (i only know kelly won because my mum emailed me)
There are people who ride waves on any board that havent picked up a surfing mag in decades.
to by labelled within a subculture is offensive, to me anyway.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:43 pm

yeah but marcus, you aren't chasing the 'big sponsors' and don't care that there is 'no money in the sport'. you aren't one of the lunchbox legends like brandon foster or one of the strange minion grommets who think people like him are like gods.

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:16 am

gotta defend brandon foster a bit. guys travelled to inconcievable places to find waves on minimal money ( yemen, iceland amoungst others.)

Seems to me the problem stems from a cognitive split that occurs in sports such as surfing and bodyboarding. Do you do it for Altruistic reasons or for a reward, recognistion etc. That would come down to each individuals personality, and not be a binary divide, personally id surf no matter what, Im well past the age of aspiring towards being "pro" etc, but still run local club and follow what happens on the tour etc.

Now i havent reached a point of cease fire with this stuff, im still working through it, but I'd state that "if" you want bodyboarding to exist, you need some kind of "industry" behind it, where do you get boards equip etc otherwise
( back to morey kit boards? you still have an industry by definition , no?)

So what do you want this "industry" to look like? Self supporting, independant of "outside" influences, Altruistic companies that pump all there money back into the sport? Reliance on a big sponsor ie Pepsi??? Ill split this up ....