re-shaping & re-glassing an S-core!?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

schm00v

re-shaping & re-glassing an S-core!?

Post by schm00v » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:28 am

OK, so i got sucked in and bought one of those salomon s-cores from thailand ... Webber why would you degrade your brand so? :cry:

needless to say that little thai bloke didnt know what concavity means and the bottom is as flat as a pancake

which leads us to my question ... could i just rock up to a shaper and ask him to take off the glass, add a bit of shape to it, then re-glass it with epoxy resin? (or normal resin?)

so before you tell me its gunna cost more than the board originally did, im in brazil and there are some good shapers here who work for less ... altho they might not have any epoxy resin at hand...

a rediculous idea? let me hear it! :idea:

thanx guyz

surfaus
regular

Post by surfaus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:08 am

No, No , No!!
Heres a better idea! Get 9 x 3 ft legnths of aluminum angline and super glue them to the bottom of your board and hey presto, you got channels!!!!
But to try and sand your glass back to create some concave is absurd!!

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:01 am

I'm half-assuming this is a joke?

In any case, of all the criticisms I have heard of S-Cores, lack of proper concave is not one of them. They appear to have stayed true to the shapers' original designs (which of course is the whole point).

SMW1

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 am

Let's be clear: are you talking about a Surftech Tuflite Webber, or a Salomon S-Core?

The Salomon is light blue, very lightweight, has a screw-out plug in the tail through which you can see the black carbon fibre interior, and cost you about $1000.

The Surftech Tuflite is white, there's no screw-out plug, and cost you around $800.

Either way, you won't be able to significantly alter the design of the board without f**king it up structurally.

Was this not an odd choice, buying a board -- must have been done off the rack, pre-sighted -- whose design was so dramatically not what you wanted? Would you try to alter a normal pu board in this fashion?

I've ridden both of these GW clones and neither of 'em were lacking in concave. Something weird is happening here.

If you're not into the design, take it back, that's my advice.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:04 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: If you're not into the design, take it back, that's my advice.
’cuse me, I wanted concave with my works boards :D nothin’ wrong with flat bottoms unless they’re on ladies

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:37 pm

Easy solution,

turn the board over (fins facing up).

Put on a pair of those heavy, steel cap, workmans boots.

Now jump up and down around the midle of the board on one foot. You will soon have some concave.

Now if you want some double between the fins...I suggest you jump up down with both feet, one foot either side of the middle of the board, however just with your toes touching the board (takes some practice... thats what will make you a better shaper).

Now the higher you jump = the deeper the concave. This takes plenty of practice and experimentation. Remeber that a good shaper has had years of jumping experience.

Now if you want some V out the tail, you will need to take to it with a cheese grator. Be careful here as you only want to take off a bit at a time. Remember V is what is going to give you energy. Its a fine line between having too much and too little.

I would say that you got the flat bottom board as the guy in the wheel chair was rostored on in the factory in Thailand that day (cheap labor).

Goodluck!

fong

Post by fong » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:18 pm

double post....lol :oops: :roll:
Last edited by fong on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fong

Post by fong » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:22 pm

fong wrote:
smw1 wrote:I'm half-assuming this is a joke?
:shock: no...it can't b :shock: someone takin the piss in the realsurf forums :shock:

un heard off :lol:

now....how reshape these over priced pop outs :twisted:

if i'm not happy with my board....i go back too my shaper and have a word :idea:

do the same......fly thai....go the factory ( can easily b found by toxic chemicals pouring directly into creek b'hind) ....find the 12 year old who has never seen a wave b4 who "shaped" your board.....explain too him exactly why your unhappy with the board ....offer pay him double wat he got paid orginally to make it ( that come too $8 au and for a extra $5 u can do his sister) to re build it

fly home......simple really :!: bit more a pain than callin out too u local industral area....but thats why u spend the big bucks on these pop outs :lol:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: re-shaping & re-glassing an S-core!?

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:00 pm

agree with fong

smart bloke :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: re-shaping & re-glassing an S-core!?

Post by dUg » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:05 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:agree with fong

smart bloke :!:
South Kempsey hasn't been the same since he left